• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH120 II Monitor Review

Rate this monitor speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 36 8.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 372 90.1%

• Total voters

IamJF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's a no brainer in this price range. With the digital input and MA1 possibility on top.
Until you search for some "sound" or speakers for enjoying music ... then you are better with some other speakers.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
It's a no brainer in this price range. With the digital input and MA1 possibility on top.
Until you search for some "sound" or speakers for enjoying music ... then you are better with some other speakers.
You can't enjoy music on it ?

isabido

Excuse my English, I may not be interpreting the comment.

For my part, I would enjoy the perfect response that these KH120 II can give, I am more than used to this type of sound.

Here I leave you the response of my system with a 2.1 GENELEC 8020 + SUB DIY 10" JBL configuration. Everything adjusted with FIR generated by Acourate (Audiovero), I listen in very close field, with the two monitors next to the monitor at 0.6meter.

1712924110251.png

IamJF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You can't enjoy music on it ?
You know what I meant.
Try to hear online radio with them ... I would not put them in my kitchen. Many people are not interested in all the details, they just want to listen to all sorts of music (also bad recordings and streams!!! :oops: ;)) and sometimes turn the volume up and have a 15dB bass peak. It's the wrong speaker for them.

I personally like them a lot, but I like analytical listening. I want to hear what was happening during mixing and mastering. And be amazed by great productions.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes:
PXL_20240413_093843323.MP.jpg

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No! They are called KH 80 DSP, sorry.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Which ones do you prefer sound-wise, the Genelecs or the Neumanns?
They sound the same to me after correction and subwoofer integration. The Neumann has better measurements pre correction. Post correction they are pretty much both perfect.

I prefer the Genelec 8020D and will likely send the Neumann back. My reasons:
  • The Neumann feel cheap and hollow because they are made from plastic, like computer speakers from the 2000s.
  • I can't use the DSP functionality because i don't have an Apple Device.
  • The DSP i can't use adds latency.
  • They cost more than the 8020D.
  • The 8020D fits to a VESA mount (if you widen the holes on the VESA mount to 8mm).

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
They sound the same to me after correction and subwoofer integration. The Neumann has better measurements pre correction. Post correction they are pretty much both perfect.

I prefer the Genelec 8020D and will likely send the Neumann back. My reasons:
  • The Neumann feel cheap and hollow because they are made from plastic, like computer speakers from the 2000s.
  • I can't use the DSP functionality because i don't have an Apple Device.
  • The DSP i can't use adds latency.
  • They cost more than the 8020D.
  • The 8020D fits to a VESA mount (if you widen the holes on the VESA mount to 8mm).
Finally someone who also prefers aluminum ;)

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Finally someone who also prefers aluminum ;)
I didn't think i would mind, until i actually touched them. It probably raised their margin by a good amount.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
why do you need an apple device?
That was what i was thinking. Why not use the existing protocol and hire a guy to write an Android or Windows app.
I guess they simply don't care enough as their stuff is sold anyway.

Except to me, that is. :cool:

Is the same true for the KH 120 II? Plastic enclosure? Only the Apple app?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The software for the MA-1 runs on Windows.
I don't have a MA-1.

There's also free software if you can handle Python:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-sennheiser-sound-control-protocol-ssc.38607/
See second page for an application rather than a library.
While i applaud this effort, this is something Neumann should have solved for their customers. They probably licensed the solution from Sennheiser and called it a day 4 years ago, when the Apple app got the last update.

Top Bottom