• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH120 II Monitor Review

Rate this monitor speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 37 9.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 370 89.8%

• Total voters

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
[*]The Neumann feel cheap and hollow because they are made from plastic, like computer speakers from the 2000s.

I use and prefer the newer Neumanns, but understand this sentiment. Last week I traded my old KH 120A’s for a monster sub (JBL Synthesis S2S-EX) and was reminded how solid the cabinets felt. Didn’t stop me from leaving them behind for the newer and better (more bass headroom) version though.

The 8020D fits to a VESA mount (if you widen the holes on the VESA mount to 8mm).

FWIW there’s a VESA adapter for Neumann.

isabido

I have an 8020, it is evident that the construction quality with aluminum is a plus, it cannot be denied and that I prefer it over plastic, but thank all the gods I hear through my ears and not through my eyes.

I would change all the aluminum in my 8020 for these new 120s. (and if they were 8030 too)

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
use and prefer the newer Neumanns
If fidelity is you main priority i can understand that, they are really good.

FWIW there’s a VESA adapter for Neumann.
As well as for the Genelec, but the Genelecs don't need it. The Neumanns have srew inserts as well, but they are at the wrong place.

Which speaker has better tonality, timbre, midrange, highs? Genelec 8030c or KH 120 ii?
If you use EQ it's basically the same speaker.
newplot.png

heflys20

Which speaker has better tonality, timbre, midrange, highs? Genelec 8030c or KH 120 ii?
You'd have to test them for yourself, preferably side by side. We do know that the KH 120 measure (slightly) better, have more low-end, get louder ( no one will be pushing it that hard). The 8030c is cheaper, but doesn't have the DSP/built in room correction. Personally, I'd still get the Neumann's. (Shrug)

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The 8030c is cheaper, but doesn't have the DSP/built in room correction.
To be fair, one would have to use the 8330 (same, but adds DSP) to compare to the KH 120 II.
But if you can use DSP elsewhere, which most of us can, you get basically the same result (minus what @heflys20 said: max SPL, a bit of bass and a higher cost. Also a plastic enclosure).

Genelec 8030 it is for me.

denzel200219

You'd have to test them for yourself, preferably side by side. We do know that the KH 120 measure (slightly) better, have more low-end, get louder ( no one will be pushing it that hard). The 8030c is cheaper, but doesn't have the DSP/built in room correction. Personally, I'd still get the Neumann's. (Shrug)
I remember Amirm said in his review that the 8010a made the kh 80 DSP sound "dull". But I guess Ill have to test them out because everyones preference is different

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Genelec 8000 series
I thought you meant the Neumanns. I believe Neumann bought a speaker company some time ago and they still live off of that intellectual property.

I'm sure they've made a lot of changes over that time. LOL.
Agreed, there have been changes. But the 8030a is really not that different from the 8030c:
newplot(1).png

BTW, pic is taken from here, a really great site:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought you meant the Neumanns. I believe Neumann bought a speaker company some time ago and they still live off of that intellectual property.
Klein + Hummel was the German company acquired by Neumann and the same designers kept developing the line. That's why they use the KH prefix to their monitor line.

heflys20

I'm skeptical the drivers are exactly the same ( same size maybe), but I can't find any significant information on changes outside of measurements, so I'm not entirely sure. They still measure great for their age though.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It should be repeated though that the two same PIRs (which is just a computed weighted average) don't mean that they will sound the same as directivities and distortions still might be different. Otherwise also any loudspeaker could be to EQed to sound identical to any other which we know of course doesn't work.

Top Bottom