• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Neumann KH 80 DSP Monitor Review

Habu

Forum Donor
Last edited:
is there a reason the directivity keeps narrowing? in neumanns own graph directivity remains controlled to 20khz (although it is still narrower than other speakers)
Horizontal_DI_500.jpg

Last edited:

Ilkless

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Strange that they show widening of the directivity toward the end.
Seems like a quirk of the scale they used, compared to the more granular 1dB scale you use for your polars. I do see widening on your polars too (focusing on the blue and green hues) but it's not as obvious because the colours are not in beautiful solid bands like in the manufacturer graph.

napilopez

Major Contributor
is there a reason the directivity keeps narrowing? in neumanns own graph directivity remains controlled to 20khz (although it is still narrower than other speakers)
View attachment 59002
I think it's mostly because Amir's graph is squished horizontally, unlike his newer graphs. Neumann's narrows too, it just looks worse when squished horizontally.

Strange that they show widening of the directivity toward the end.
Seems like a quirk of the scale they used, compared to the more granular 1dB scale you use for your polars. I do see widening on your polars too (focusing on the blue and green hues) but it's not as obvious because the colours are not in beautiful solid bands like in the manufacturer graph.
I think colors are a part of it, but my measurements show a very similar widening. Here's my polar map. Rear response is partly faked since I haven't bothered to remeasure this speaker completely, but you can see the widening happening in the top end in the font hemisphere for me too:

VituixCAD Directivity (hor).png

(Mine is normalized to the on-axis. Don't know if neumanns are too, though it doesn't matter too much in a speaker so flat)

I suspect the widening is something to do with measurement technique/equipment differences.

More specifically, in my SPL plots the KH80 starts to peak around 13kHz in the front hemisphere:

kh80 horizontal peak.png

Also in the spin:

Spin.png

Amir's don't start to do so until the rear hemisphere. So just something different happening in either the speakers or in the measurement technique. I suspect the latter, but have no idea as to the cause.

Mostly inconsequential at those frequencies, but interesting to note.

Last edited:

napilopez

Major Contributor
@BYRTT posted this in the Genelec review. Does anyone know what the preference rating would be with the corrections? (calibration and mic cage fixes)
View attachment 59934
I hadn't seen that correction. It's encouraging (in terms of neumann's consistency, and measurements across systems in general) that my spin is nearly identical from 200 to 12,000 Hz, when you consider the slightly different reference axes(tweeter vs between waveguide and woofer). It's interesting how the Klippel and my at-home setup read what's going on beyond 13K so differently though. Luckily most can't hear too much up there =]

Last edited:

BYRTT

Forum Donor
I hadn't seen that correction. It's encouraging (in terms of neumann's consistency, and measurements across systems in general) that my spin is nearly identical from 200 to 12,000 Hz, when you consider the slightly different reference axes(tweeter vs between waveguide and woofer). It's interesting how the Klippel and my at-home setup read what's going on beyond 13K so differently though. Luckily most can't hear too much up there =]
My bet would be if Amir recompute sample one with better settings as he did for Harbeth M30 then above 13K would change and probably get closer to your analyze :) and if we lower Amir's microphone reference axis minus 52mm we get below on axis improvement :)...
napilopez.png

napilopez

Major Contributor
My bet would be if Amir recompute sample one with better settings as he did for Harbeth M30 then above 13K would change and probably get closer to your analyze :) and if we lower Amir's microphone reference axis minus 52mm we get below on axis improvement :)...
View attachment 59936
Cool - I think it speaks well to neumann's manufacturing consistency. You can even see the little resonance at 600Hz despite lowered quasi-anechoic resolution

BYRTT

Forum Donor
@napilopez if into VituixCAD you put below hang on zip folder of phaseless microphone corrections into a "Transfer funchtion file" container on spindata for KH80 sample one and either lower microphone Y-axis -52mm on "Drivers" tab or raise "D1" transducer Y-axis +52mm relative to spindata on "Crossover" tab we get those smooth curves :)

Mic_cali_plus_cage_fix.png

Attachments

Last edited:

BYRTT

Forum Donor
Top Bottom