• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need advice: ELAC Debut 2.0 F6.2 or Dali Oberon 5

DreamC

I would like to get myself my first floor speakers for general theater or music use.
Currently I found a couple of deals:
  • ELAC Debut 2.0 F6.2 for €500 a pair
  • Dali Oberon 5 for €900 (but these are bundled with Marantz PM6007 amplifier)
Ideally later I would like to extend those to a 3.1 setup.
Which one should I go for? If it's the ELAC then which amplifier would be a better choice for them?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Doenerkunde

I found measurements of the Oberon 5 and the Elac FS 5.2 (smaller model than the FS 6.2) from germany magazine Stereoplay:

Oberon Elac.png

The frequency response of the Oberon 5 has a V shape, meaning that the presence region is recessed while upper bass and brilliance region are elevated. This kind of tuning is popular with many manufacturers, because it sounds full and sparkly without beeing screechy. Some call it „showroom sound“ because it tends to impress customers in dealers showrooms. The big question is how pleasant the sound will be when the novelity factor wears off…

I wouldn´t read too much into the measurements of the Elac FS 5.2 since you are interested in the bigger FS 6.2 model and we don´t know how representative the smaller model is for the bigger one. But I think it´s pretty safe to assume that the Elacs will have a more pronounced 2-6khz region while the Dalis will be more pronounced above 10khz.

That being said I think the Oberons look much nicer than the Elacs.

Considering the amp I would probably go with Yamaha AS 301 or 501. Good value and Toslink/Coax inputs, but I wouldn´t expect them to sound any different than any other decent amp in it´s class.

Where are you from? Media Markt/Saturn from Germany are currently selling the Elac Debut Reference DFR52 for 638€/pair (but they only deliver within Germany). They employ 5.25 inch woofers instead of 6.5 inch ones, but looks and value seems pretty good and since you plan on adding a subwoofer later…

OP
D

DreamC

I'm in Finland, thus it's either amazon.de or European shops.

Are there any other amplifiers or receivers in below €400 price range (or around that)?

The other option I mentioned is just bundled with a Marantz PM6007 amplifier already.

Last edited:

delta76

Major Contributor

Are there any other amplifiers or receivers in below €400 price range (or around that)?

The other option I mentioned is just bundled with a Marantz PM6007 amplifier already.
Not much but you can find a denon x3500h used for that money. Have everything you need then some

OP
D

DreamC

Are Yamaha receivers godd in that range? Like Yamaha RX-V4A?

delta76

Major Contributor
Can't say for sure. Maybe, maybe not. Denon was measured here and we know they work very well for an AVR.

Last edited:
OP
D

DreamC

Thanks for suggestions!
Will have a look at Denons, but a quick serach didn't give me any nearby.

Streamc

Why don't obvious? Genelec

OP
D

DreamC

This is the obvious choice if you know of that.
Which ones would be the choice for the mentioned price range?

staticV3

Master Contributor
OP
D

DreamC

I see.

Those are in general €400+ for a single one. How would those compare to ELAC Debut 2.0 F6.2?
And I would still need a receiver, right?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Those are in general €400+ for a single one. How would those compare to ELAC Debut 2.0 F6.2?
Without accurate measurements of the F6.2, my guess is that a Genelec would have less bass, but a flatter frequency response and more even radiation off-axis.

And I would still need a receiver, right?
If every speaker is active (powered), then you would only need an AV Processor actually (same as an AV Receiver, but without built-in Amps).

Though for some reason, AVPs usually cost way more than AVRs :(

staticV3

Master Contributor
Btw, just because I explained what @Streamc meant when he wrote that Genelecs would be the obvious choice, does not mean that I necessarily share his opinion.

For an HT setup, you'd probably have an easier time with an AVR and passive mains.

OP
D

DreamC

Btw, just because I explained what @Streamc meant when he wrote that Genelecs would be the obvious choice, does not mean that I necessarily share his opinion.

For an HT setup, you'd probably have an easier time with an AVR and passive mains.
Anyway it is good to know there is that kind of a manufacturer in Finalnd =)

I guess I would try to find something like Denon AVR-X3600H, but they all start from around €800.
Are there any other cheaper options to look for?

OP
D

DreamC

Yes, that ELAC is passive, but I guess there is no need for an additional amplifier if you have a AV receiver, right (most of them output enough, not the best but enough).

I'm new in this and not going somewhere high for now. I just want something that will be better than the basic TV built-ins and hopefully be capable of multi-source.

If I go with two powered monitors (for example like the Genelec mentioned above), I will still need either some kind of multi-channel DAC or a AV Processor.
And at this point I am a bit confused what I should go for...

OP
D

DreamC

If you can, wait for the DBR62 to go on sale, they were available a couple days ago for around 280€ for a pair.
The Debut 6.2 are acceptable but not great according to Erin: https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/elac_db62/

DBR62: https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/elac_dbr62/
There are some for 340 right now. And I would like to get those for my table PC setup, not a TV one.
And will those be enough for a room?

But the main question for me is what to drive the theater speakers with? AVR? Anything else? And, as I mentioned before, I would like not to spend a lot for a first go :<

Last edited:
Top Bottom