• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nearfield setup for electronic music (Genelec 8331 + 7350)

soundspy

Hi everyone,

What a great forum, with a lot of good information, friendly discussions and knowledgeable and helpful people. It's good to be here! I'm looking for some advice, as I just got my bonus, and it's time to upgrade from my Neumann Kh 120 MK1 speakers. I want to go for the following, but any impression or feedback is appreciated before I pull the trigger.

2x Genelec 8331
1x Genelec 7350

My room is 3.30m x 4.40m x 3.00m and fairly well treated, and I always try to add more treatment whenever I can and need to. My listening distance is strictly around 70-90 cm, and I prefer to mix on moderate volumes and only occasionally crank it up due to neighbors. Well, just one neighbor downstairs, but I managed to keep it cool with him, and I have 8-inch speakers in the living room, so I'm sure I can control the additional sub, too. The SPL seems fine to me with the 8331 on a desk and in nearfield, and many users seem happy with the 7350 combo despite Genelec recommending the 7360.

I mostly make electronic music, from ambient to not-so-heavy techno, and now I need proper bass content for my music, hence the upgrade plans. I considered simply adding Kh 750, but I want to try the Genelecs, as I was very impressed when testing them at a studio.

I'm most curious and slightly baffled about single-sub vs. dual-sub questions in the nearfield situation. I could potentially go for two subs, but I will try with one first. I understand that two can help with room modes, etc., but I feel a lot of strong opinions when it comes to dual subs, perhaps missing some context when saying things that you need two so your sub doesn't get all mono. One would want to keep their sub in mono for club music, no? Sure, you could still have your subs in mono with two subs, I assume, but in a fixed position and very nearfield, I think I should be OK with one sub with careful placement and in a treated room.

I'd appreciate any feedback if you have the same or similar setup and for opinions on the above dilemma.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:

D!sco

Some people like to run their subs high, above 120hz. This localizes the sound to a specific source. The SAM setups genelec runs are an example of that, iirc. The W371s advertise running up to 500hz, which is a critical range for electronic music, and can be extremely localized. Though I think the real reason to go dual subs is to cancel room resonances. The standard now seems to be 90 degrees off of listening axis, near the wall, or in the corner to enable room mode equalization.

If you run the 7350 below 80hz, there’s little chance the subwoofer will cause problems on it‘s own for a specific listening position with careful placement.

OP
soundspy

soundspy

If you run the 7350 below 80hz, there’s little chance the subwoofer will cause problems on it‘s own for a specific listening position with careful placement.

Any chance you know a good source to learn about crossover? I assume the only good way is to test and measure but in general, what difference does it make if I crossover at 100Hz vs below 80Hz for example?

unpluggged

I considered simply adding Kh 750
I suggest to try this first along with the MA 1 (sold as the Alignment Kit 1). It makes a difference. I'm not sure if the Genelec setup will bring a significant improvement over that. But if you still won't be impressed, you can return the Neumann kit.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
crossover for sub is a bit relative nowadays that we have the possibility to make it digitally. the steeper the filters the higher you can get.

Yes, that's my plan with the 8331 and 7350. It seems suitable for this.

So why not use the Neumans you have already?

OP
soundspy

soundspy

I never had the neumann sub just the kh 120 mk1, but that's also gone, I sold it. It would have been one route with the MA1 kit sure, and considerably cheaper, but the Gens left a very good impression after hearing them in a similarry treated room as mine, so I'm ready to take the plunge with them!

dasdoing

Major Contributor
I never had the neumann sub just the kh 120 mk1, but that's also gone, I sold it. It would have been one route with the MA1 kit sure, and considerably cheaper, but the Gens left a very good impression after hearing them in a similarry treated room as mine, so I'm ready to take the plunge with them!

you know you don't have to use brand matching subs? Hifi subs are actually much more bang for your buck

OP
soundspy

soundspy

Yeah, but I plan to stick with Genelec; the GLM kit for the room calibration for dummies is essential, and since it will be under my desk, close to my legs, I love the non-destructible industrial design, too.

OP
soundspy

soundspy

Thanks. Unfortunately, that won't be a long-term option for me, but I might try it to compare the measurements for fun. Genelec strictly recommends their subwoofers close to the front wall, however.

napfkuchen

My room has a similar size and the 7350 keeps up well. The 8331s compensate -3 to -4 dB but it's still enough ooomph (for me). Crossover is set to 85 Hz and the sub cannot be located.

OP
soundspy

soundspy

My room has a similar size and the 7350 keeps up well. The 8331s compensate -3 to -4 dB but it's still enough ooomph (for me). Crossover is set to 85 Hz and the sub cannot be located.

That's very great to hear. Thanks a lot

OP
soundspy

soundspy

Where did you place your sub?

napfkuchen

Where did you place your sub?
At the front wall below one speaker, but what will work for you can be very different. Just try out different positions. :)

mkt

In-room measurement (nearfield; smaller room than yours) with 8331 LRC + 7350 and a little downward slope from the GML sound character profile
rew-2022.png

Top Bottom