• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nearfield setup for electronic music (Genelec 8331 + 7350)

Sokel

Master Contributor
In-room measurement (nearfield; smaller room than yours) with 8331 LRC + 7350 and a little downward slope from the GML sound character profile
View attachment 341714
That seems more like 120Hz x-over point there,not 80Hz.
Is there a chance that the LFE level is way higher?

As level goes up in LFE,so does the x-over point.
I don't know about EDM but in classical that would make a baritone's mouth as big as a cave if the subs are not directly below or very-very near the mains.

sleepy.sock

I have the same setup (pair of 8331s near field on desk, 7350 at wall underneath desk at my feet). I crossover the sub at 85 Hz. Room is about the same size. It sounds absolutely fabulous, remarkably good: tons of tight controlled bass and seamless integration. I have to stick my head up against the sub to tell it is on. It goes louder than I can stand. Great for symphonic music and organ. I would not consider adding a second 7350.

Would buy the same setup again in a heartbeat if I had to.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the same setup (pair of 8331s near field on desk, 7350 at wall underneath desk at my feet). I crossover the sub at 85 Hz. Room is about the same size. It sounds absolutely fabulous, remarkably good: tons of tight controlled bass and seamless integration. I have to stick my head up against the sub to tell it is on. It goes louder than I can stand. Great for symphonic music and organ. I would not consider adding a second 7350.

Would buy the same setup again in a heartbeat if I had to.
I’m excited for OP to get a taste of this.

Amused

Forum Donor
Very interesting. I considered a similar Genelec combo for a NF setup, but ultimately went Dynaudio + JL Audio. My monitors are propped 8 in. above the desk at ear level, sub below right monitor by wall offset 18 inches and crossed around 90 Hz. For nearfield listening in a modest space, I find a single sub more than sufficient with proper placement. My JL blends in extremely well with no dead spots throughout its frequency response. Those Genelecs should work very well for you.

OP
soundspy

soundspy

Here we go; I set everything up, and after playing around with my acoustic panels, this is the best result so far. I don't know where to find or, if possible, with GLM or Grade to get the combined graphs, so I posted them individually. I will try to tweak the system a bit more, but I'm pretty damn happy and amazed.

The subwoofer crossover is at 85Hz, and I haven't moved it around too much yet (it's under the desk, slightly to the right), but it seems that I should also give it a try to set it to 90Hz or even 100Hz if I'm right, as I have some dips in the speakers around 80-90 Hz while the sub is linear there. I can still locate the subwoofer. It's not much, but it's there, so I hope that will help. Although it's higher than the recommended crossover, and I read that with one sub, the lower, the better, which won't be possible for me, so I am not sure about this, but I will test it! I have been in touch with Genelec with a few questions, and not only is their product top-notch, but the support is, too.

Please shoot if you have any tips on further improving this.

Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 11.44.04.png

Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 11.44.46.png
Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 11.45.07.png
Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 11.45.21.png

Last edited:

sleepy.sock

Glad you are enjoying it!! Your Grade report is very similar to mine (my deepest notch values just sneak into the green). You might want to play around with the sub positioning a bit as there is something very nasty happening around 45Hz!

Amused

Forum Donor
Just out of curiosity, do any of you with Genelecs experience any hissing from your monitors?

sleepy.sock

No hissing at all. If I put my ear right beside the drivers I can hear a very faint hiss but it is not audible from where I sit (70cm away)

Amused

Forum Donor
That’s the only knock against my Dynaudios. There’s a slight audible hiss from the tweeters at listening distance (I’m about 70 cm away as well) when no music is playing. Otherwise, the monitors sound fantastic.

Top Bottom