• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Multi-Channel, Multi-Amplifier Audio System Using Software Crossover and Multichannel-DAC

Nabussan

Hi dualazmak, I think I should have posted my questions about Using the Hypex FusionAmp DSP functions in a multichannel setup in your fascinating thread instead of creating a separate one.

User Lbstyling confirms it is possible to daisy-chain the FA modules digitally (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...pex-fusionamp-dsp-functions.12710/post-378378), to perform crossover and EQ as with the miniDSP platform (or EKIO), and of course to master control volume. So it seems to be functionally an equally viable solution, though of course not as highest-end as with using your DAC8 PRO.

My concern is not so much extreme high-end amps but rather to find a cost-efficient solution with as little optically obtrusive hardware as possible. I assume the FA modules with the NCxxxMP modules are right at the sweet spot between cost, quality, and WAF.

OP
dualazmak

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From a technical standpoint it is perfectly fine to use the Dac8 PRO volume control to set overall gain. It uses 32 bit floating point, so no problem even after considerable attenuation. JRiver and Roon use 64 bit and dither down to 32/24 bit so no problem there either. My only observation is that DAC8 PRO has a granularity of 1dB whilst JRiver is 0.5dB which I find suits me better. So my take is use whichever suits you better, either will be fine.

@dualazmak - If you are using software x-overs and EQ more of an issue is to ensure you don't run into digital clipping. If I remember correctly EKIO is done in a 64bit environment (you can do considerable attenuation on any channel and not suffer quality loss) and has peak level meters for each channel - these should enable you to check that you are not running into clipping. I use JRiver for my x-overs and EQ and use one of the 8-channel Peak meter VST plugins to check. It needs to be after PEQ of course. Typical peaks on the loudest channels for me are around -10dB.

JRiver (and Roon) enables you to set some digital headroom to help prevent clipping. In neither application is there a loss of sound quality. I use volume levelling in JRiver and this also gives additional headroom. It's all done inside the 64bit audio engine - there is no quality loss. JRiver's Loudness control also works very well for late night listening at reduced volume. If you have a dB meter you can calibrate it and it is seamless in use.

One of the best recent articles I've seen on using software volume control is this on Archimago's site. Software volume control done properly is not an issue in my experience.

Hello Burning Sounds,

Thank you so much for your supportive and encouraging post. You wrote;

If I remember correctly EKIO is done in a 64bit environment (you can do considerable attenuation on any channel and not suffer quality loss) and has peak level meters for each channel - these should enable you to check that you are not running into clipping.

Yes, exactly... As I showed several times in my previous posts, EKIO's peak level meters and Mute/Solo function are really nice. I carefully set the gains of INPUT-L and INPUT-R just bellow the clipping level; usually around -5 dB for almost all of my classical music tracks, and sometimes around -9 dB for high-gain recordings of jazz tracks, e.g. M&I's wonderful recordings (10 CDs) of Karel Boehlee Trio.
WS000474.JPG

So far, I have never used JRiver's Loudness Control, but sometimes I use ACCUPHASE E-460's nice Loudness Compensator for midnight listening;
WS000473.JPG

After the arrival of DAC8PRO, I will try JRiver's Loudness Control in my project, and would like to compare it with E-460's Loudness Compensator.

I believe your post is much valuable for many people keeping eyes on this thread.

Edited to add:
Hello Burning Sounds,
I just finished reading the article;
https://archimago.blogspot.com/2019/06/guest-post-why-we-should-use-software.html

I agree with you that this is one of the best article on software volume control. Thank you again for your kind info.

Last edited:
OP
dualazmak

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi dualazmak, I think I should have posted my questions about Using the Hypex FusionAmp DSP functions in a multichannel setup in your fascinating thread instead of creating a separate one.

User Lbstyling confirms it is possible to daisy-chain the FA modules digitally (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...pex-fusionamp-dsp-functions.12710/post-378378), to perform crossover and EQ as with the miniDSP platform (or EKIO), and of course to master control volume. So it seems to be functionally an equally viable solution, though of course not as highest-end as with using your DAC8 PRO.

My concern is not so much extreme high-end amps but rather to find a cost-efficient solution with as little optically obtrusive hardware as possible. I assume the FA modules with the NCxxxMP modules are right at the sweet spot between cost, quality, and WAF.

Hello Nabussan,

Thank you for joining. Of course you are quite welcome!

As I wrote in my first post #1, any topic or discussion fit for the thread title "Multi-Channel, Multi-Amplifier Audio System Using Software Crossover and Multichannel-DAC" should be very much welcome here. Topics on "Software Crossover" for "Single-DAC plus Single Amplifier" will be also very much welcome.

Let me suggest one point for you. If you and other people here would insert/paste schematic system diagrams/drawings of your interests (like my diagrams in my several posts), that should be very nice for all the people, including myself, to quickly understand what you would like to share and discuss.

Although I mainly use Microsoft PowerPoint to draw my system diagrams and Windows' screen capture function to have jpeg images to be inserted/pasted here, any image of your hand-made, hand-drawn, sketch and/or drawings should be also very nice for us, I believe.

I sometimes take screen captured image into PowerPoit to retouch, to trim, to add captions, etc., then take screen capture again while doing "slide show".

Last edited:

Nabussan

Hi dualazmak,

yes, good idea.

This is the DSP-DAC-AMP setup schema with the FA modules.
FusionAmp-Schema_1.png

And this is what I hope will be left after I have installed the modules at the back of my speakers and got rid of my AVR and Bluray player (I think I will put the devices into the adjacent stairway to our basement and control them via an IR extender; the coax cable will disappear in bookshelves, the subwoofer cables in ducts):
FusionAmp-Schema_2.png

OP
dualazmak

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Nabussan,

Very interesting project!

I believe that parallel discussion and info exchange on two projects, i.e. yours and mine, would make this thread much attractive for many people.

In your project,
- Master Volume; looks OK,
- Synchronization; I assume OK, right?
- Phase issues; depending on Filter Design configurations and other factors, right?

Since I am rather nervous about phase issues in my project, I would like to configure EKIO's crossover as simple as possible. Please refer to my post #31"Phase issues...-1-", #33 "Phase issues...-2-", #37 "Phase issues...-3-" and #39 "Phase issues...-4-" .

What would be your approach or policy controlling and optimizing "phase issues" in your project?

Last edited:

Lbstyling

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi Nabussan,

I believe that parallel discussion and info exchange on two projects, i.e. yours and mine, would make this thread much attractive for many people.

In your project,
- Phase issues; depending on Filter Design configurations and other factors, right?

Since I am rather nervous about phase issues in my project, I would like to configure EKIO's crossover as simple as possible. Please refer to my post #31"Phase issues...-1-" , #33 "Phase issues...-2-", #37 "Phase issues...-3-" and #39 "Phase issues...-4-" .

What would be your approach or policy controlling and optimizing "phase issues" in your project?

Hypex fusion uses IIR filters, so it is not minimum phase. You need software at the beginning of the chain to control this. Either a miniDSP DIRAC pro, or a PC with something like RePhase.

VeerK

I just finished using REW and rePhase to create some minimum phase FIR filters as a digital XO for my custom designed speakers. Really quite impressed and the low latency is also great

Nabussan

Which Hardware and Software do you use to run the filters, OpenDRC-DI, for example? What devices would you recommend?

I just finished using REW and rePhase to create some minimum phase FIR filters as a digital XO for my custom designed speakers. Really quite impressed and the low latency is also great

VeerK

Which Hardware and Software do you use to run the filters, OpenDRC-DI, for example? What devices would you recommend?

I use a Windows PC directly, using filters loaded into EqualizerAPO for system wide DSP. This leverages the superior horsepower of my PC and offers me the ability to slightly tweak the FR on the fly. No other dedicated DSP hardware or software.

John1959

Hi Dualazmak and other multichannel DAC and amp enthusiasts,

I have a DAC8PRO on order too (#116), which I expect to arrive within a few weeks, and I just ordered a nice Nord Acoustic configurable multichannel amp. I heard from Colin North of Nord Acoustics that those Hypex NCxxxMP modules are made in Malaysia and that the factory is in lockdown for quite some time because of COVID-19. Unsure is when they open again. Even the Hypex company, based here in the Netherlands, doesn't have all the OEM modules on stock anymore . On the Nord website it's announced that they run out of the NC500MP (1x500W) and NC252MP (2x250W). There are still several other options available though. Other small manufactures who build their Hypex amps on order (e.g. Apollon, Audiophonics to mention a few) probably will have the same problem now or in the near future. I think nobody can tell when the lockdown will be over or production will start again. So it's probably wise, if you think about buying a multichannel amp build with these modules in the near future, not to wait too long with ordering.

John.

Last edited:

Nabussan

Hi Dualazmak,
  • yes, master volume should be OK, as well as gain structure.
  • as for synchronization, I don't know, but I assume only the stereo audio signal is transmitted via the coax cably when daisy-chaining the modules. So that's probably inferior compared to using a DAC like the Okto 8.
  • as for phase issues,
    • I rely on the the designer of my speakers who provided me with the specification of some passive components and the x-over filter values to be implemented in the miniDSP 2x4s I'm currently using (they are not synchronized, either, BTW).
    • In the modal region where the subwoofers are humming along, I vary phase, delay and volume to smooth the frequency response, independently of the main speakers (I follow the Geddes multisub approach, see, for example, https://mehlau.net/audio/multisub_geddes/)
    • As recommended by LBstyling, I might try REW+rePhase to optimize the behavior or at least play around with it a little bit in the future. Why not if it is as simple as adding some software at the beginning of the chain.
I like the elegance of the FusionAmp option (the idea to make the audio devices disappear visually), and ironically it's even cheaper than purchasing an NCxxxMP-based separate amp. A customized KJF-Audio amp with 4 NC252MP amps, for example, would cost €2300 incl VAT, about €400 more than the same number of FusionAmps (approximately the price of an OpenDRC-DI).

Hi Nabussan,

In your project,

Since I am rather nervous about phase issues in my project, I would like to configure EKIO's crossover as simple as possible. Please refer to my post #31"Phase issues...-1-" , #33 "Phase issues...-2-", #37 "Phase issues...-3-" and #39 "Phase issues...-4-" .

OP
dualazmak

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello John,

Thank you for your kind input. I also noticed these logistic issues; in several audio enthu forums in Japan, in Japanese language, we are also exchanging info on COVID-19 and logistics.

As for my project, as you may aware, I am very much interested in Nord One configurable multichannel amp. I still reserving, however, possibilities of having pre-amps between DAC8PRO and power-amps or having integrated (pre-main) amps to drive my SP units. I fully agree with MattHooper's post on "are pre-amps necessary?"; please refer to my post #58.

Consequently, I decided to fully test and confirm the physical configuration of my project firstly with two of YAMAHA XM-4080 providing 8 independent amps (please refer to my post #55, Option-1). After trials and confirmation with XM-4080, I would like to also try utilization of integrated amps, including my Accuphase E-460, and hopefully some tube and/or solid state pre-amps.

After these step-by-step progress in the selection of amps in this project, it would be highly possible that I would finally place an purchase order for Nord One.

In any way, I am sincerely joining all the people's prayers for early calm down, shut down, of the pandemic and epidemic of COVID-19...

P.S.
My DAC8PRO's order number is #106.

Hi Dualazmak and other multichannel DAC and amp enthusiasts,

I have a DAC8PRO on order too (#116), which I expect to arrive within a few weeks, and I just ordered a nice Nord Acoustic configurable multichannel amp. I heard from Colin North of Nord Acoustics that those Hypex NCxxxMP modules are made in Malaysia and that the factory is in lockdown for quite some time because of COVID-19. Unsure is when they open again. Even the Hypex company, based here in the Netherlands, doesn't have all the OEM modules on stock anymore . On the Nord website it's announced that they run out of the NC500MP (1x500W) and NC252MP (2x250W). There are still several other options available though. Other small manufactures who build their Hypex amps on order (e.g. Apollon, Audiophonics to mention a few) probably will have the same problem now or in the near future. I think nobody can tell when the lockdown will be over or production will start again. So it's probably wise, if you think about buying a multichannel amp build with these modules in the near future, not to wait too long with ordering.

John.

Last edited:
OP
dualazmak

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello Nabussan and all friends,

I now learned that REW and RePhase should be an attractive solutions for "phase issues".

In progress of my project, however, I would like to go step-by-step not only physically but also software-wise, keeping my policy of "the simpler, the better".

Fortunately, as I posted before, I could confirm and simulate EKIO's phase features by ear-listening sessions using the nice tracks of the "Super Audio Check CD" (please refer to my post #26 and #37).

My current goal would be to eliminate/avoid the "LC network" and to directly drive all the SP units by independent amps with using software crossover EKIO; if I could get significant improvement of "total sound quality (including phase features)", I would find no need for further software solutions for "phase issue".

Consequently, I would like to try REW and RePhase, only if needed, after my trials with simple or simplest hardware-software configurations.

On the other hand, like I posted my trial experiments with REW-Wavelet (please refer to my post #16 through #23), I will continue to use REW-Wavelet analysis with microphone ECM8000 for objective measurements of delay and room acoustics.

Last edited:
OP
dualazmak

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello Nabussan,

You wrote;
as for synchronization, I don't know, but I assume only the stereo audio signal is transmitted via the coax cably when daisy-chaining the modules. So that's probably inferior compared to using a DAC like the Okto 8.

I understand your point, and It would be OK in your project.

Just for other people's basic info,,,,
In the post #1,297 at;
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...rements-of-okto-dac8-8ch-dac-amp.7064/page-65
somebodyelse posted an important message for me, in case if I would simultaneously use DAC8PRO and one another DAC (for sub-woofer) in all-ASIO mode; he (she?) wrote;
"The problem is that the clocks will drift further out of sync the longer you leave it running. Whether this is a problem will depend partly on what the difference in clock speed is, what the length of tracks or albums is, and on exactly how EKIO works. If EKIO stops at the end of a track then restarts then it'll bring them back into sync at each track change and you might be ok. If it just keeps running then sooner or later things will get too far out of sync unless you luck into matching clocks. I'm guessing you were testing over short periods, not the length of an album."

I agreed, and then I decided not to use another DAC in non-sync manner simultaneously with DAC8PRO.

In case if we would like to use multiple independent DACs simultaneously, they should be synchronized with each other, like Kal Rubinson did it;
on his post #1,300 at;
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...rements-of-okto-dac8-8ch-dac-amp.7064/page-65
he wrote;
I've used multiple Mytek stereo DACs with one as master and the others with their clocks slaved and daisy-chained. The signal is USB from JRiver via a USB hub and the output is formatted for a virtual multichannel device by MacOS. In theory, any DACs with clock in/outs could work.

Last edited:
OP
dualazmak

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello friends,

Just for your info, I found a nice short review on OKTO8PRO posted April 4;
https://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?68601-Okto-Research-DAC8-Pro-multi-channel-DAC

I Like his comments of;
>I can say with certainty that the Okto is the quietest DAC I’ve ever owned.
and,
>But no matter how good the measurements are, at the end of the day our ears are the final arbiter as to whether we like the sound, and I do. As Siegfried Linkwitz used to say 'What is important to the eye is not necessarily important to the ear...,'

Last edited:
OP
dualazmak

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Burning Sounds

Following on from our discussion on the Okto DAC thread I thought it might be useful to discuss inter-channel delay in software DSP. Is it an issue?

When I first got into DSP I measured differences in processing delay in different brands of stereo DACS. It's the reason I started using mutli-channel DACs (I have three) as it solves that problem. I'll try and see if I can find some time to measure any inter-channel delays in my JRiver DSP. If there is any then delays can be added to individual channels to solve the problem. I only use IIR filters and I think it is probably not an issue. If you use FIR filters that could be different.

I think it is also worth raising the issue of differences between the various software and hardware active x-overs/eq and why it is not always straightforward to convert from one to another. It primarily revolves around how Q is implemented and they don't all use the same definition. Rane used to have a really good primer on this, but I notice that it has now disappeared from the web - but I have found it on the Wayback Machine here. I also have a pdf of the article so if anyone is interested in it just PM me.

JRiver has info on how it calculates Q here - as you can see it does not use a standard definition of Q. This does only apply to shelf filters, but it is frequency and gain dependent so you need to use this nice little equation - 1/((((1/Q)^2-2)/((10^(d/40))+1/(10^(d/40))))+1) - Q is the actual Q and d is gain - to get the correct value for Q. As JRiver notes there are onlne calculators to do the math for you - I prefer to use the Wolfram Alpha calculator to the one they recommend.

The only way I know to be sure you have successfully transferred DSP settings from one piece of software (or hardware) to another is to measure the transfer function. I did this when I switched from MiniDSP to JRiver - in my particular circumstances the changes were small and not easily noticed by ear - but could be seen in REW.

OP
dualazmak

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello Burning Sounds,

Thank you so much again for your really valuable new post from which I am learning a lot.
I have also read your post at Okto DAC thread.

My following notes here are not only for your kind attention but also for other people's basic reference and understandings;

Well, I am not an expert in "audio science", but I understand the "phase" and "delay, latency, synchronization" are always critical issues in our "multi-channel, multi-amplifier system", and also in software crossover solutions.

Even though I cannot fully understand the details of technical basis (such as Q in your kind post) in crossover and multichannel-DAC, I (we) at least would like to have tools with which we can objectively measure the relative delay between the crossovered channels not only in line level (i.e. after DA conversion before going into amps) but also in real sound in our listening environment using a measurement microphone.

Having above thoughts in my mind, while still waiting for the arrival of my DAC8PRO (order #106, will shipped soon hopefully), I did my self-training trials using REW-Wavelet analysis in line level signal and also in real sound using ECM-8000 microphone, as I showed in my post #16 through #23.

I found that REW-Wavelet is very nice to check the "cleanliness" of the line level signal before going into amps (post #17), and very much importantly I could confirm that there is essentially no delay between the crossovered channels given by software EKIO.

I could also confirm that REM-Wavelet is sensitive and accurate enough to "see" the tiny delay setting(s) in EKIO configuration (post #18). The results shown in post #18 also confirmed that EKIO's delay setting(s) is really accurate as measured by REW-Wavelet.

After having the above naive reliability evidences on REW-Wavelet analysis and EKIO's delay control, I moved onto REW-Wavelet real sound analyses using ECM-8000 measurement microphone as shown in post #19 through #23, and found that I can control the delay of the real sound by EKIO's delay features.

REW-Wavelet is also very nice and sensitive to "see" the listening room acoustics (post #22).

I do believe that we always should check and confirm that any of our delay (and/or phase) control would not affect the total Fq (frequency) response (post #23).

Consequently, yes, REW-Wavelet can be used in my project for delay and acoustic measurements after the arrival of DAC8PRO. I would like to emphasize, however, before to fully utilize an objective measurement tool/solution like REW-Wavelet, we should confirm its accuracy and reliability in our (your) specific audio system through some well designed simulation trials and experiments.

And, we should not be objective measurement addict, but trust our ears and brain, just like Burning Sounds nicely wrote "in my particular circumstances the changes were small and not easily noticed by ear - but could be seen in REW".

I like the Siegfried Linkwitz's words of "What is important to the eye is not necessarily important to the ear...", which is almost identical to my policy in this project; "The simpler, the better as far as my ears and brain would recognize so in my listening environment" (please refer to post #31 through #39 on this policy).

Following on from our discussion on the Okto DAC thread I thought it might be useful to discuss inter-channel delay in software DSP. Is it an issue?

When I first got into DSP I measured differences in processing delay in different brands of stereo DACS. It's the reason I started using mutli-channel DACs (I have three) as it solves that problem. I'll try and see if I can find some time to measure any inter-channel delays in my JRiver DSP. If there is any then delays can be added to individual channels to solve the problem. I only use IIR filters and I think it is probably not an issue. If you use FIR filters that could be different.

I think it is also worth raising the issue of differences between the various software and hardware active x-overs/eq and why it is not always straightforward to convert from one to another. It primarily revolves around how Q is implemented and they don't all use the same definition. Rane used to have a really good primer on this, but I notice that it has now disappeared from the web - but I have found it on the Wayback Machine here. I also have a pdf of the article so if anyone is interested in it just PM me.

JRiver has info on how it calculates Q here - as you can see it does not use a standard definition of Q. This does only apply to shelf filters, but it is frequency and gain dependent so you need to use this nice little equation - 1/((((1/Q)^2-2)/((10^(d/40))+1/(10^(d/40))))+1) - Q is the actual Q and d is gain - to get the correct value for Q. As JRiver notes there are onlne calculators to do the math for you - I prefer to use the Wolfram Alpha calculator to the one they recommend.

The only way I know to be sure you have successfully transferred DSP settings from one piece of software (or hardware) to another is to measure the transfer function. I did this when I switched from MiniDSP to JRiver - in my particular circumstances the changes were small and not easily noticed by ear - but could be seen in REW.

Last edited:

Burning Sounds

Thanks @dualazmak for pointing out the delay graphs you had posted earlier in the thread. I think I missed them at the time as I was concentrating on your phase graphs. :). Just to be clear the Q issue is not a delay issue, but one of different manufacturers using different definitions of Q. And some of the manufacturers' hardware boxes may use different definitions within their own product line up.

I found the measurements I did last year to confirm the correct transfer function when I started using JRiver's x-overs/eq instead of MiniDSP for my 4-way speakers. A couple of the drivers have quite a few shelving and peaking filters, whilst the tweeter has no filters other than the x-over.

Here's a greatly magnified image of the impulse response showing all 4 filters. As you can see the impulse responses line up perfectly. 1 is the tweeter, 2 the upper mid driver, 3 the lower mid driver and 4 the woofer. So, as far as I can see there is no inter-channel delay in JRiver DSP which can only use IIR filters.

impulse 4 drivers850.jpg

OP
dualazmak

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you again Burning Sounds,

I believe our discussions on "delay issues", "phase issues" and "master volume/gain issues" in this thread are very much useful and suggestive not only for myself but also for many people keeping eyes on this thread...;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom