• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Movies Worth Owning

Raindog123

Major Contributor
034E35A0-5AF1-44D2-9333-33D46810EAA4.png

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
Truffaut and Godard have been mentioned in this thread, but Éric Rohmer, Claude Chabrol and not least Jacques Rivette seem to be seriously underrepresented in English subtitled Blu-ray releases of the original French 'Nouvelle Vague'. And they are every bit as fun as Godard and a lot more interesting than Truffaut.

I'm especially a fan of Jacques Rivette and have pretty much everything available of his on Blu-ray which is sadly only about half of his œvre.

Some of my favourites:

OUT1 (1971)

13 hours of French experimental theatre improv cut with unscripted conspiracy, murder and mayhem on the streets of Paris anno 1970 from the cream of the Nouvelle Vague actors. What's not to like? I watch it at least once a year ...

aff_out-2.jpg~original

Norôit (1976)

17th Century female pirates with machines guns. Geraldine Chaplin vs. Bernadette Lafont in a purple leather onesy. Several of the actors break out into blank verse (in English!) for no apparent reason. Music, played on disparate ethnic instruments, is improvised live on set. I haven't a clue what's going on in this movie but I love it nontheless. Unmissable!

81dpb4q6YML._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Merry Go Round (1980)

Two of the '70's most dysfunctional actors - Maria Schneider and Joe Dallessandro - team up with Rivette, who was at the time recovering from a nervous breakdown, for a largely improvised surreal gangster/kidnap mystery. What could go wrong? Apparently everything. Music is provided by free-improv luminaries Barre Philips and John Surman as interstitial scenes. A deeply puzzling film that keeps on giving ...

81KH3ZBCgcL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Le Pont du Nord (1981)

Paris as a gigantic board game. Mother and daughter Bulle and Pascale Ogier on a mysterious quixotic quest for ... something. As usual with Rivette conspiracy and paranoia loom large. A fun and charming film all the same. Soundtrack by Astor Piazzola.

71GECUlSNAL._AC_SL1272_.jpg

ADU

Major Contributor
La_Belle_et_la_B%C3%AAte_film.jpg

Jean Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast (1946)

An oldie, but a goodie. Might not be for everyone.

Top Bottom