• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Movies Worth Owning

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
320px-Invasion_of_the_Body_Snatchers_%281956_poster%29.jpg

Invasion of the Bodysnatchers (1956)

The original "pod people" film. Although this was made in B&W, it was originally photographed in a wider screen ratio than the other two SF films above, which were projected at the 1.37:1 and 1.85:1 ratios respectively.
I've seen the 1978 remake with Donald Sutherland. Very good and with a bad shocking end.
Invasion_of_the_body_snatchers_movie_poster_1978.jpg

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
I think Rohmer's whole oeuvre was released on blu ray as a box set but it be might oop.
Edit: your's for 350 €, ouch
Yes, I have had my eye on that. It is a bit spendy and I seem to remember that while the films themselves are subtitled in English all the extras are without subtitles.

I have the Arrow Rohmer boxset which has ten of his films. The MUBI streaming service has some of his films at the moment too.

Reactions: ADU

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
sorry - just use the title

King_Pin

That's alotta Blu, King_Pin!

----------------------------​

Probably goes without sayin, btw, but just becuz a movie is worth ownin doesn't necessarily mean you haz to buy it! :)

I like havin alot of my favorites and repeaters on disc, because it's just more convenient imo. And the quality is sometimes a bit better than what you can get online or elsewhere. And there can be fewer interruptions.

If streaming or renting is more your kinda thing though, then the more power to ya!
Everything I have is ripped 1:1 with no compression loss so there is no difference between the disk and my stream.
Roughly 50tb's worth of data if you include the 60-70 tv shows I have full seasons of.
I only play 4k movies directly from my OPPO.
I have roughly 100tb's of raw data space available to me. :D

IMG_20201002_173059.jpg

Last edited:

ADU

Major Contributor
Everything I have is ripped 1:1 with no compression loss so there is no difference between the disk and my stream.
Roughly 50tb's worth of data if you include the 60-70 tv shows I have full seasons of.
I only play 4k movies directly from my OPPO.
I have roughly 100tb's of raw data space available to me. :D

View attachment 150227

Very cool! Thanks for sharin the above!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My answer is nothing. If the world collapses and I cant stream/ rent the works of the Coen brothers and the first 2 Godfather films then I will be sad I didnt buy them in a physical format. Not much else- I'll settle for online versions I pay to access rather than own.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Kung Fu Panda trilogy:
Great characters, story, visuals and sound, with Jack Black, James Hong, Randall Duk Kim, and Dustin Hoffman bringing their characters to life. There's plenty of action to be had, but even at it's most intense, there's a touch of lightness which I find endearing. Crank up the volume, it sounds wonderful!

Reactions: ADU

formdissolve

Forum Donor
Used to own over 3000 LaserDiscs, thousands of VHS, then DVDs, then HD-DVDs, and now have about 2000 Blu-Rays. Will buy physical until I can't anymore!

I can foresee physical media being phased out for giant companies relegated to niche markets for boutique labels, of which there are many.

It's funny how some audiophiles scoff when someone plays an MP3 or Spotify, but watch compressed Netflix and everything else. Don't you want to see the highest bitrate and hear uncompressed soundtracks, rather than lossy Dolby Digital?

Top Bottom