• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Most beautiful speakers in the world ?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Now that's what I call a SubWoofer!
I could mount it in a hole on an outside wall and support it with a couple large timbers going down to a concrete slab.
Hummm, the brain's firing off ideas already. LOL
I had a 21” EV woofer mounted to the floor through a hole in the living room, using the wine cellar as the enclosure. That was during the early 80s and DSP was not a thing. It wasn’t doing a great job. The B&W 801 that I purchased later was doing a better job in sub frequencies.

I now own a pair of Salon2 and they can produce the entire audio spectrum, at levels that are well over unhealthy levels. They only have 8” drivers!

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think the Watt/Puppy was their best design:
WATT-Puppy-7--01-responsive.jpg

I love the little angled cuts at the back of the cabinet, and the beautifully turned feet, and the grilles. Lots of people tried to make a speaker with this massing and few pulled it off - Vandersteen, Von Schweikert, etc. Dave Wilson had a clear vision about aspirational audio and it came through in his products.

I dunno…I look at those and the first thing that comes to mind is:

C401425B-A87C-4E7E-A5BC-6B447EDFD7AD.jpeg

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I actually like the design language that Wilson invented. The oddly high-tech but sculptural cabinets with automotive finishes are extremely distinctive and work extremely well for most of the designs, but when they start making the super big models they start to become a big gregarious. The milled metal sides really don't work on the chronosonic, also, the name is lame to me.

I mean Wilson speakers are obviously 90% robb report intellect marketing, superstition and everything but I give them credit for making some of the most impactful speaker designs of all time. Look how far they came:
Wilson-WAMM-7-1200x630-manifesto-4.jpg

I love the little angled cuts at the back of the cabinet, and the beautifully turned feet, and the grilles. Lots of people tried to make a speaker with this massing and few pulled it off - Vandersteen, Von Schweikert, etc. Dave Wilson had a clear vision about aspirational audio and it came through in his products.
"Aspirational." Sounds like my neighbors...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I agree the Puppy is a handsome design, with my fav being the Alexia Series 2.
I do admire the adjustments built into the unit, how effective it is on dialing in SQ I'm not too sure.
A shame such attractive designs never seem to measure very well, and yes Wilson admirer's, the measurements DO count.
I do believe better attention to such things could improve the overall audio performance of these high end offerings.

I do wonder if the red pair in that photo are supposed to be positioned for some unseen listening position.
Doesn't quiet seem possible. ???

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Paging @restorer-john. Did JVC formerly make some good audio equipment under the brand name 'Victor'?

At least in the States, one hardly ever sees JVC-branded devices on sale any more. JVC's VHS/CD manufacturing plant in my childhood hometown closed some years ago.
In case @restorer-john didn't respond. Yes, JVC = Japanese Victor Corporation also known as Nivico sometimes (Nippon Victor). Some good stuff over the years; sometimes RCA Victor-esque. :)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I had a 21” EV woofer mounted to the floor through a hole in the living room, using the wine cellar as the enclosure. That was during the early 80s and DSP was not a thing. It wasn’t doing a great job. The B&W 801 that I purchased later was doing a better job in sub frequencies.

I now own a pair of Salon2 and they can produce the entire audio spectrum, at levels that are well over unhealthy levels. They only have 8” drivers!
EV made 18" woofers (domestic and pro drivers) and, famously, a 30" woofer -- I don't recall any 21" from them.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I actually like the design language that Wilson invented. The oddly high-tech but sculptural cabinets with automotive finishes are extremely distinctive and work extremely well for most of the designs, but when they start making the super big models they start to become a big gregarious. The milled metal sides really don't work on the chronosonic, also, the name is lame to me.

I mean Wilson speakers are obviously 90% robb report intellect marketing, superstition and everything but I give them credit for making some of the most impactful speaker designs of all time. Look how far they came:
Wilson-WAMM-7-1200x630-manifesto-4.jpg

I was convinced by the BS in the magazines back 30 years or so ago which claimed the Wilson WAMM was the best speaker in the world and was delighted to find that the then French Wilson importer had a used pair on demo.

I went for a listen and was underwhelmed, I actually found the Watt/Puppy more convincing but the Goldmund speakers he was also the European distributor for very much closer to accurate instrumental timbre - leading me, eventually, to buy some - and for a lot less money than the used WAMMs.

I am still enjoying them daily 25+ years later, and every time I consider getting some of the more modern speakers like D&D, Kii or Genelec I just ask myself if they will improve my musical enjoyment and decide not.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
EV made 18" woofers (domestic and pro drivers) and, famously, a 30" woofer -- I don't recall any 21" from them.
I stand corrected. It was indeed the 30" Patrician woofer. I drove it with an Amcron DC300A. (In the UK Crown used to be sold as Amcron due to a TM conflict.)

Having been to primary school on the continent my inches have never been good, besides I'm 72+ and my memory from 50 years ago is a bit hazy. I thought 21" is big enough :)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I stand corrected. It was indeed the 30" Patrician woofer. I drove it with an Amcron DC300A. (In the UK Crown used to be sold as Amcron due to a TM conflict.)

Having been to primary school on the continent my inches have never been good, besides I'm 72+ and my memory from 50 years ago is a bit hazy. I thought 21" is big enough :)
EV didn't, apparently. ;)
Hartley had some big drivers. I believe they had a 21" and/or a 24" woofer at one time.
Yup.

f53p5nkg5gsbppjjlqoz.jpg

source:

The metric thing for those of us steeped in the Imperial system of measurement is funny. As a scientist, I am perfectly used to SI units but I still think of household quantities in English terms.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Even for us that great up in a metric world we are used of some dimensions in inches where they are even officially used till today, would be funny to go to a tire shop and ask for some 457,2 mm diameter wheels. :p

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In case @restorer-john didn't respond. Yes, JVC = Japanese Victor Corporation also known as Nivico sometimes (Nippon Victor). Some good stuff over the years; sometimes RCA Victor-esque. :)
Thank you for the background.

I was hoping for the whole Victor story from John, along with an assessment of its quality. I realize he may have better things to do!

mglobe

Forum Donor
I find this topic to be an interesting one, as I for one value how speakers look along with audio performance. I have no doubt for example that the Genelecs are amazing sounding, but to my eye they look horrible, and I wouldn’t have them in my house. The fact that others feel differently doesn’t (and shouldn’t) bother me at all. I wonder though given similar measurements and sound, how many people would pick the slightly better, but butt ugly speakers, over the more attractive ones?

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I know, but.... those Ixoost things. Please kill them. Kill them with fire. I beg you.

Top Bottom