• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Moondrop LAN Review

Blorg

My Moondrop LAN arrived this afternoon. I'm having a problem in that the cable won't stay connected to the monitors. I've pushed the cable ends in but there is no clip mechanism and the pins are loose in the sockets until the last fraction of a mm. After using them for a few minutes one or the other cable will disconnect. Has anyone else had similar problems, or could I have received a pair of monitors that are out of spec?
They should be quite firmly connected, like mine I can swing around on the cable and they won't come off. It is a recessed 2 pin connector and takes a bit of force to get them all the way in, the plastic bit (before the 2 pins) should actually go INTO the recess on the IEM and it takes a bit of force to do that. It sounds like you might not have pushed it in all the way. Maybe post a photo.

maxresdefault.jpg

markanini

Major Contributor
My Lans connector is a tight fit, therefore not much of a tactile event when fully inserted. Like Blorg said, make sure it's fully inserted, first.

olymartin

Muchas gracias por tu revisión. Es detallada y profesional. gran trabajo.
Thank you very much for your review. It is detailed and professional. great job.

I got these for listening podcasts at night for bed. The form factor is perfect for this.
The tuning is good, but these iems will definitely benefit from ear tips with the widest holes and deep insertion. This to smooth out the treble.
That's because the upper treble is not that natural and lacks some balance. That's probably reflected in the measurements with the peaks and valleys.
The proper ear tips will make a difference to make it sound more natural.

Tangband

Major Contributor
In my opinion there are much better earphones out there , both soundwise and with better comfort for the same price .
This is one of my worst buys ever .

markanini

Major Contributor
I got these for listening podcasts at night for bed. The form factor is perfect for this.
The tuning is good, but these iems will definitely benefit from ear tips with the widest holes and deep insertion. This to smooth out the treble.
That's because the upper treble is not that natural and lacks some balance. That's probably reflected in the measurements with the peaks and valleys.
The proper ear tips will make a difference to make it sound more natural.
Pretty sure most of what looks uneven is just measurement artifacts, some people just want to affirm what they see on a graph. To me the treble is smooth and articulate, I verified this with other Lan owners that compared the treble to Aria, Olina SE, Z300. All sets with inoffensive treble. The only fault to me is the lean bass. But, I use EQ with everything and this gets a 3dB boost under 200Hz. I don't like to use them outside because the small shells move a fair bit in my ears.

Pretty sure most of what looks uneven is just measurement artifacts, some people just want to affirm what they see on a graph. To me the treble is smooth and articulate, I verified this with other Lan owners that compared the treble to Aria, Olina SE, Z300. All sets with inoffensive treble. The only fault to me is the lean bass. But, I use EQ with everything and this gets a 3dB boost under 200Hz. I don't like to use them outside because the small shells move a fair bit in my ears.

Yeah I agree the measurements at higher frequencies are not very accurate. But I don't think they are complete nonsense.
I've gathered a few measurements of this iem using different kinds of couplers including the 5128 and 711 types
from various sources, they all point out to the same tendency
of spiky upper treble preceded by a dip

1694451751682.png

And I think I can hear this when using the ear tips with small holes, honky upper treble. Kinda harsh. But not really when using ear tips with wide holes and deeper insertion.

I believe that cheaper iems are more likely to have this kind of problem. Maybe a more refined tuning at those higher frequencies is not a trivial thing to do?

markanini

Major Contributor
And I think I can hear this when using the ear tips with small holes, honky upper treble. Kinda harsh. But not really when using ear tips with wide holes and deeper insertion.
To verify that your personal eardrum response corresponds you can carry out some listening tests, using synthetic signals, like a sine sweep, and and real music. Each has an EQ corrected and a uncorrected version, which you are tasked to identify blindly using ABX software. I didn't bother doing this myself because I didn't hear anything objectionable in the stock treble. I say this as someone that considers myself treble sensitive. But if you go down this route I will happily assist with reproducing your results.

To verify that your personal eardrum response corresponds you can carry out some listening tests, using synthetic signals, like a sine sweep, and and real music. Each has an EQ corrected and a uncorrected version, which you are tasked to identify blindly using ABX software. I didn't bother doing this myself because I didn't hear anything objectionable in the stock treble. I say this as someone that considers myself treble sensitive. But if you go down this route I will happily assist with reproducing your results.
This is not a matter of "personal eardrum response". This is just a characteristic of the iem.

index.php

markanini

Major Contributor
This is not a matter of "personal eardrum response". This is just a characteristic of the iem.

index.php
I've evaluated filters that correct for measured treble discontinuity like the you showed here. I Also created filters that mimick the measured treble discontinuities, so I can model them on linear devices like my JBL LSR305 monitors. The Lan sounds nothing like that. Basically I've done more than you as far as verifying the eardrum response, so there are no grounds for me to change my position. So far I'm ignoring that you are referencing an arbitrary target, and no established metric deals with <10kHz.

Observing measured treble FR of different tips on a coupler gives you more clues to why no system guarantees accuracy past 10kHz. It looks like a complely different IEM in the treble, just from a tip swap. Obviously it's not for real.

1694713358301.png

1694713538181.png

Last edited:

markanini

Major Contributor
I found a reversible $2 hardware mod that elevates the Lan above Truthear Red IMO. It involves simply adding 200 to mesh to the nozzles. Here's a store I orderd mine from: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004092269560.html
Once complete it tames the upper mids slightly. More impressively it does great things to drums, a bigger, more satisfyingly impact. While Lan has a somewhat wet presetation stock, with the 200 mesh added it focuses more on resolving short reverbs transparently. It's very immersive. Highly recommended for anyone that owns Moondrop Lan.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Isnt it strange that the optimal Harman housecurve sounds completely different with earphones than the optimal Harman housecurve with loudspeakers ?

The Harman curve for speakers optimises only for one speaker , and the Harman curve for earphones always use listening with two ears - maybe thats the reason for the very different results ?

Or am I missunderstanding something ?

markanini

Major Contributor
Isnt it strange that the optimal Harman housecurve sounds completely different with earphones than the optimal Harman housecurve with loudspeakers ?

The Harman curve for speakers optimises only for one speaker , and the Harman curve for earphones always use listening with two ears - maybe thats the reason for the very different results ?

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
By the way there does not really exist one Harman curve for loudspeakers as it depends on the room acoustics, listening distance and directivity, what Toole's research has showed is that most people prefer loudspeakers with flat direct sound and smooth directivity, the curve at the listening position is just a result of that and not a target for equalisation as you cannot equalise non-smooth directivity. More about this topic can be read on the first link of my signature.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I don't find them all that different. (in reference to Anechoic Flat speakers in a room with Harman Curve bass)

Tangband

Major Contributor
By the way there does not really exist one Harman curve for loudspeakers as it depends on the room acoustics, listening distance and directivity, what Toole's research has showed is that most people prefer loudspeakers with flat direct sound and smooth directivity, the curve at the listening position is just a result of that and not a target for equalisation as you cannot equalise non-smooth directivity. More about this topic can be read on the first link of my signature.
Yes, I know all the theory about this . I have made and used good directivity speakers. Im my opinion, the stereo system flaws are much deeper than just fixing the directivity of a loudspeaker. To create a spatial illusion of the real event one must go some steps further .

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I know all the theory about this . I have made and used good directivity speakers. Im my opinion, the stereo system flaws are much deeper than just fixing the directivity of a loudspeaker. To create a spatial illusion of the real event one must go some steps further .
In my experience there are no "stereo system flaws" when playing 2 channel music, and to describe them as "deep" also seems an exaggeration. In terms of UMIK measurements and listening experience I really don't see/experience any "flaws" in a stereo system playing back 2 channel music. In my experience it creates a wide & smooth soundstage that extends between the speakers and even out beyond the sides of the speakers, the speakers just disappear, it doesn't even sound like the music is coming from the point source of the speakers. Also there is no "real event" when it comes to music, it's a fabrication put together by the artist and engineers, so it's more an "imagined event" that is created by the artist & engineers through 2-channel, it's an artistic (re)creation.

Tangband

Major Contributor
In my experience there are no "stereo system flaws" when playing 2 channel music, and to describe them as "deep" also seems an exaggeration. In terms of UMIK measurements and listening experience I really don't see/experience any "flaws" in a stereo system playing back 2 channel music. In my experience it creates a wide & smooth soundstage that extends between the speakers and even out beyond the sides of the speakers, the speakers just disappear, it doesn't even sound like the music is coming from the point source of the speakers. Also there is no "real event" when it comes to music, it's a fabrication put together by the artist and engineers, so it's more an "imagined event" that is created by the artist & engineers through 2-channel, it's an artistic (re)creation.
You are writing that there are no stereo system flaws. This is a false statement.

Maybe you need to do your own recordings . Im talking about really good 2 channel recordings of real acoustical instruments in a concert hall. Im not talking about producing a recording in a studio.

Then you will notice that the real sound from the concerthall is very different than the recording, even If you use the best speakers in the world. If you dont believe that the stereo system is seriously flawed, then you need to read the books of Dr. Floyd Toole, where he repeats that 2 channel reproduction dont have much in common with ” the real thing ” . He promotes 5.1 channel recordings as a much better alternative than the seriously flawed stereo system with only two channel playback.

In my opinion, one can come further with two channel playback , making the illusion somewhat greater with the correct speaker setup in the room and maybe do some small stereosystem corrections .

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You are writing that there are no stereo system flaws. This is a false statement.

Maybe you need to do your own recordings . Im talking about really good 2 channel recordings of real acoustical instruments in a concert hall. Im not talking about producing a recording in a studio.

Then you will notice that the real sound from the concerthall is very different than the recording, even If you use the best speakers in the world. If you dont believe that the stereo system is seriously flawed, then you need to read the books of Dr. Floyd Toole, where he repeats that 2 channel reproduction dont have much in common with ” the real thing ” . He promotes 5.1 channel recordings as a much better alternative than the seriously flawed stereo system with only two channel playback.

In my opinion, one can come further with two channel playback , making the illusion somewhat greater with the correct speaker setup in the room and maybe do some small stereosystem corrections .
Ok, then instead you're talking about the limitations of 2 channel recording, not the limitations of a 2-channel playback system per say. To be honest I'm fine with that, I'm not particularly interested in completely capturing an orchestral concerthall experience, which I imagine in reality might sound a bit rubbish in some seats anyway. I think 2 channel content created by all the many musicians/artists/bands out there is a very good medium in itself.

Top Bottom