• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio-technica M20x Headphone Review

Cuckoo Studio

Reviewer
vlcsnap-2023-06-26-21h57m55s332.jpg

Welcome to Cuckoo Studio review. I'm Anzol, The following content is presented from the perspective of a mixing engineer.

Measurement Conditions Explanation And Chart Interpretation Of Cuckoo Studio Review​

If you prefer video version:

In May of last year, when I went to Chengdu,I had the opportunity to listen to a rather "interesting" pair of M20x headphones at my friend FATE's house. I borrowed that pair from him and also purchased a pair from the official store to see how these two pairs of M20x perform.

vlcsnap-2023-06-26-21h57m30s809.jpg

Let's start with the appearance. The design of the M20x is the simplest among the Mx series. Except for the metal construction inside the adjustable headband, the rest of the headphones are made of solid black plastic.

vlcsnap-2023-06-26-21h58m38s227.jpg

vlcsnap-2023-06-26-21h58m51s655.jpg

Without the silver ring on the front like the M50x, personally, I find it more visually appealing. The model identification of the M20x is inconspicuously placed on the outer sides. The cable is not detachable, so if it gets damaged, you'll need to seek repair for soldering.
vlcsnap-2023-06-26-22h00m04s252.jpg

The headband and ear cup are still made of protein leather material, which has a relatively firm texture. It's unknown whether it will peel off with long-term use.

vlcsnap-2023-06-26-22h00m11s561.jpg

vlcsnap-2023-06-26-22h00m18s880.jpg

The extensive use of plastic in the overall construction may not give a high-end feel, but the advantage is that the weight is well-controlled, at around 256g.

vlcsnap-2023-06-26-22h00m54s383.jpg

Considering the price range of around $49 for these headphones, it's reasonable not to expect too much in terms of craftsmanship.

Let's take a look at its sound performance.

Frequency Response:

2.Vertical frequency response graph: Why is it flipped vertically?

The borrowed M20x, labeled as Sample 1, exhibits a significant attenuation of over 10dB between 3kHz and 6kHz. There is also a noticeable peak in the high frequencies above 10kHz. At 300Hz, there is a relatively small attenuation. Interestingly, it starts experiencing a severe low-frequency roll-off from 100Hz, with a 10dB attenuation at 40Hz. This is a pair of headphones with weak bass extension.

vlcsnap-2023-06-26-22h01m20s305.jpg

Raw data for ASR:
sample 1 RAW L+R.jpg

M20x sample1 to harman 2013 wo bass:
M20x R to harman 2013.jpg

Switching to the self-purchased Sample 2,the high-frequency attenuation position and magnitude are relatively similar, but the high-frequency peak is absent, resulting in a smoother response. Of course, this can sometimes be influenced by the fit. The low-frequency roll-off is eliminated, and there is no significant attenuation even down to 30Hz. Instead, there is an overall mid-low frequency gain below 200Hz. Sample 2 is a headphone that sounds more balanced. due to the inconsistency in product quality, different M20x units may have different sound signatures.

vlcsnap-2023-06-26-22h01m28s852.jpg

Raw data for ASR:
sample 2 RAW L+R.jpg

M20x sample2 to harman 2013 wo bass:
m20x sample2 to harman 2013 wo bass.jpg

3.Usage of compensation curve: Why is it OE 2018?​

Distortion:

Under normal listening levels, Sample 1 exhibits relatively clean mid-range frequencies between 400Hz and 1800Hz. Other areas, such as the lower mid-range below 300Hz and the upper mid-range above 2kHz, have relatively higher distortion. Overall distortion can be kept within 1% or less. When pushed to the limit during High sound pressure testing, the distortion remains within an usable range, but there is distance from a clean and transparent playback. Switching to Sample 2, the mid-range becomes cleaner compared to Sample 1. The high-frequency distortion peak is still present but with fewer peaks at positions like 2kHz compared to Sample 1. The distortion in the low-frequency range also tends to be more inclined towards third harmonic distortion.
vlcsnap-2023-06-26-22h01m41s681.jpg

vlcsnap-2023-06-26-22h01m48s168.jpg

Let's enter the Cuckoo Studio mixing space.

5.3D Mixing Space: representation of sound spatialization.

Due to the severe low-frequency roll-off in Sample 1, the bass and the depth of other instruments are lost, resulting in a lack of foundation in the low frequencies. The high-frequency peak enlarges the volume of high-frequency percussion instruments. The attenuation in the upper mid-range makes most instruments sound warmer. Look at the interaural level difference. Sample 1 exhibits a severe inconsistency between the left and right drivers. The low frequencies on the left side are even lower by 7-8dB compared to the frequency response graph mentioned earlier.
There are also various tonal imbalances in the upper mid-range starting from 2kHz. As a result, Sample 1 of M20x cannot accurately reproduce the spatiality of instruments. The combination of distortion and tonal imbalances results in a very flat and blurry playback. Moreover, all instruments sound tilted towards the right ear. Overall, it is an unusable sound state.

M20X-3D-Space-front-sample-1-GIF.gif

M20X-3D-Space-side-SAMPLE-1-GIF.gif

The situation has improved significantly in Sample 2. The upper mid-range frequencies are similar but with a smoother response, avoiding excessive emphasis on the high frequencies. There is bass extension and some gain in the low frequencies, resulting in increased volume for bass instruments. Although there are still some tonal imbalances present, they are less noticeable compared to Sample 1. Some mild tonal imbalances and distortion contribute to slight coloration in Sample 2, and the center imaging may not be as solid. However, considering the price range of these headphones, Sample 2 is in a relatively okay state.

M20X-3D-Space-front-sample-2-GIF.gif

M20X-3D-Space-side-sample-2-GIF.gif

If audio-technica has the ability to produce excellent headphone products like the R70x, then the recurring problems in M20x seem more like they don't care much about low-end products. The reputation of a major brand needs to be maintained with excellent product quality. At least in terms of the poor quality control observed in the M20x, there are many issues they needs to address.

vlcsnap-2023-06-26-22h02m11s386.jpg

vlcsnap-2023-06-26-22h02m15s825.jpg

This is Cuckoo Studio review. Please stay tuned. I will continue to explore the secrets of headphones with you.

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2023-06-26-22h01m05s462.jpg
    vlcsnap-2023-06-26-22h01m05s462.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 134

Remlab

Forum Donor
Fascinating measurement system and graphics. Might take a little while to fully decipher

TheWalkman

At $49, I’m liking the price point but they need to up their game.

Would another $100 worth of components and some healthy engineering give them the performance they need and a product I’d want to buy for $150?

PeteL

Major Contributor
At $49, I’m liking the price point but they need to up their game.

Would another $100 worth of components and some healthy engineering give them the performance they need and a product I’d want to buy for $150?
In the same line of AT At 119$ the ATH-M40X sounds much much much better. Think of this one of something that a large broadcaster or video editing suite would buy by the hundreds when they have limited budget, they are used by camera men, video editors, stuff like that, but for fidelity in reproducing music they certainly are lacking. Surprised at the sample to sample variation. They are normally well constructed and don't break.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Pretty terrible headphones, nasty frequency response and large variation between the two units therefore unreliable. I mean you can't tell that much about unit to unit variation from just measuring two samples, but if both samples are largely different then chances are it doesn't bode well.

zachary80

With two samples, all you can say is that one of them is wrong. But which one? Like a person wearing two wristwatches, we are unsure of what time it is.
At least one of them is wrong

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The differences in lows appears to be a seal/leakage/pad issue. AT pleather pads get 'worn' pretty easily and cheap alternative pads may not have the same frequency response.

I would suggest to swap pads between headphones and measure them again.

OP
Cuckoo Studio

Cuckoo Studio

Reviewer
The differences in lows appears to be a seal/leakage/pad issue. AT pleather pads get 'worn' pretty easily and cheap alternative pads may not have the same frequency response.

Excluding leakage caused by wearing, I spent a lot of time testing different tightness responses on it, and each time it was consistent. I haven't tried swapping ear pads, although that could be a possibility. However, the ear pads are not snap-on type and they fit tightly around the edges, so it's unlikely that they were not installed properly. Could it be a manufacturing issue with the ear cups? But there was no noticeable difference in how they felt when wearing them,It's more likely to be something else. Sample 1 was borrowed and has been returned. I don't know if he will lend it to me again.

Last edited:
OP
Cuckoo Studio

Cuckoo Studio

Reviewer

and this headphone had channel imbalance since it was brand new as he told me. He put it back in the box after listening to it once because the customer service refused to handle it. So Sample 1 is almost new since it was borrowed, there is no damage or signs of wear and tear.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Maybe not assembled correctly (leakage between baffle and cup) or simply very poor quality control.
The deviations seem a bit big for the latter being the case.
At least the owner now has some spare pads.

doc2c

That FR graph looks disgusting. If the earcups swivel 180 degrees, maybe they could be used for best matching. they also look "utilitarian cool" which i dig....maybe give them to a teenager relative who would appreciate them.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Your logo basically says "Cuck 00". It does not come across great in US English. Nice review, though.

Top Bottom