• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio-technica M20x Headphone Review

heraldo_jones

Do anyone know if these sound the same as their bluetooth brothers the Audio-Technica ATH-M20xBT? I know sometimes BT versions sound a bit different as happens with AKG K361 and K361BT.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It would have to be measured.
For sure the electronics and battery will limit the space behind the driver so one can expect some differences based on that fact. How much is the question.
All in all I would not bother with the BT version as the driver will likely be the same.

nabuc

It's strange that you get 2 different measurement cos if i take different measurement did by different company it's regular
rtings https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-5/graph#311/7903
1688805868466.png

sonarworks: https://www.sonarworks.com/blog/reviews/audio-technica-ath-m20x-studio-headphone-review#build
1688805948558.png

Or tonebooster (it's the correction curve so invert)
1688806317013.png

The treble can vari a lot depend how you place the headphone on the head and the form of your head . Rting do this data and it's very interesting cos some headphone are very bad in consistency

For me the reason for the m20x it's because it's cheap, good quality build for the price and you add correction soft for liten music like tonebooster exist for mac win android IOS
So you get a pretty good freq response after for few € and in rting it get a good consistency

So might be a promblem in your review

nabuc

Pretty terrible headphones, nasty frequency response and large variation between the two units therefore unreliable. I mean you can't tell that much about unit to unit variation from just measuring two samples, but if both samples are largely different then chances are it doesn't bode well.
just an mistake in their measurements cos 3 other company get close measurement (see below), or they get one fake

OP
Cuckoo Studio

Cuckoo Studio

Reviewer
just an mistake in their measurements cos 3 other company get close measurement (see below), or they get one fake
It can't be a fake product because it was purchased at an official store. Sample1 sounds very bad, even without measurement I can tell, not to mention I have strict control over low-frequency leakage.

Paweł L

I can tell you for sure that M50X BT v.1 or v.2 don't come even close to original cable version of M50X. But the Wavelet EQ makes the M50x BT v.1 quite listenable, other than the annoying hiss of the BT. In fact I will say they sound better/more balanced, with lower distortion than Bose N700, which are definitely designed towards general public, not people who have interest in good sound.

As for the measurements difference between rtings and sonarworks they most likely use different fixtures or modified Harman standard or different version, but in general the measurements agree in overall frequency response curve.
When I was using Sonarworks EQ vs Wavelet which uses pretty much open source measurements, the Sonar EQ for my set of headphones was definitely warmer than more studio derived sound of the EQ in Wavelet list derived from this project:

Top Bottom