• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AKG K601 Review

Cuckoo Studio

Reviewer
k601_2.1.1.jpg

Welcome to Cuckoo Studio review. I'm Anzol, The following content is presented from the perspective of a mixing engineer.

Measurement Conditions Explanation And Chart Interpretation Of Cuckoo Studio Review

k601_2.2.1.jpg

We have received the AKG K601 sent by Xiaoyin and thank him for his support of the channel. The K601 was produced in 2005 and has been around for 18 years. The pair we received is made from 2012, you can tell from the damaged packaging, discolored earcups, and peeling headband.

k601_9.2.1.jpg

k601_2.5.1.jpg

In fact, AKG's headphone design in this product line has remained consistent for a decade, with similarities and even identical aspects across models such as the K701 and K612. These includes unchangeable TRS cable, a similar or identical open-back design with a mesh grille on the back, and an elastic, adjustable headband design. If the condition was better, one might mistake it for a newly painted K701.
k601_2.3.2.jpg

k601_2.9.1.jpg
k601_2.8.1.jpg

k601_2.7.1.jpg
k601_2.10.1.jpg

It weighs 311g (with cable), which is moderate.

Let's take a look at its sound performance. Targeting Harman 2013, the mid-range of the K601 maintains excellent flatness, with fluctuations not exceeding 2dB. The high frequencies have a gain of about 6dB around 6-8kHz, and the low frequencies are slightly rolled off but only by 3dB at 40Hz and 5dB at 30Hz, which does not significantly affect the overall bass quality. It is a flat but slightly bright headphone.

K601 freq_.jpg

The K601 has excellent low distortion performance, with most of the distortion remaining below 0.1% -60dB at a normal listening volume of 86dB, almost below the noise floor. The low frequency distortion level is around 0.3%, which is very good, The overall distortion is almost entirely second harmonic distortion. Gradually increasing the sound pressure level, the distortion level remains controlled at an excellent level. Most of the distortion on the left and right is consistent, but the right unit has two additional distortion peaks, which may be due to the age of the unit.

dis K601 86DB&96DB&104DB L.jpg

dis K601 104DB L&R.jpg

Now, let's enter the Cuckoo Studio mixing space. The slight high-frequency boost increases the volume of sibilants and partly adds volume to high-frequency percussion instruments. The slight bass roll-off reduces the volume of bass and kick drums slightly, but otherwise, all the instruments are in reasonable positions. The K601 maintains an excellent level of binaural level difference, and any deviations in some frequency bands may be due to the variable wearing. Such frequency response deviations are very excellent in headphones. This can obtain solid central imaging and without coloration or distortion, the K601's playback is clean and fast. The spatial sound of the instruments can be excellently playback without any smearing sensation.
front.gif

side.gif

Ignoring the technical data, subjectively, the K601 has just the right amount of dynamics, and the high-frequency boost does not significantly affect the objectivity of the sound. I am very willing to wear it for mixing work.

k601_2.20.1.jpg

k601_2.6.1.jpg

In recent years, some of AKG's models, such as the K701, have been criticized for their quality control issues from different production origins. But after wearing the K601, I cannot help but be satisfied with its excellent sound playback. If they maintain this quality, AKG's reputation will undoubtedly continue to be prominent.

This is Cuckoo Studio review. Please stay tuned. I will continue to explore the secrets of headphones with you.

k601_6.1.1.jpg

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the review! I use my K601s as reference headphones during speaker tuning. Glad they're actually not too bad. And yes, you can hear the raised treble on some tracks.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
K601 has been replaced by the K612 which has a tiny bit better bass extension.

It looks like the elastic bands need replacement. This happens to all similar models after many years and requires some disassembly.

Spyart

Mr. Guttenberg said once that they Sound pretty much in front of you...

Verig

Thanks for the review, it brings back some memories.
Bought 601's in 2010 and used for years. Very clear and coherent. I was very happy listening to music and doing sound work.

Subjectively a bit too brightly spacious and bass light for rough heavy metal action but then again good for electronic music where the speed and resolution came needed. Excellent for movies where treble brings sounds to life. Also, very easy to wear so a longer session is not a problem at all.
311g is moderate but for me they felt light.

Note that I never found the treble to be harsh, somehow weird or over the top. I think the lack of upper bass clutter just makes the area stand out. Very different sensation compared to loudness style headphones. Also different from Beyerdynamic treble which I find a bit disconnected and spiky.
So, 601 is bright... but right? :)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I have a pair of K601s and K702s here. There is very little between them, but my preference is the K601s.

Top Bottom