• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Moondrop Lab

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just go to AliExpress and search for "iem cable silver" you will see tons of options and not expensive. It is fairly common in this industry to use silver plated copper conductors.

charleski

Major Contributor
Just go to AliExpress
I'll just leave that there. Tin can certainly look silvery.

To be fair though, when buying uninsulated wire (such as for crafts) silver-plating only adds around 50% to the cost compared to tin.

fragzone

Still only have moondrop starfields. They fit so flipping good and have a totally non-fatiguing sound despite still providing plenty of detail. They honestly compete with my much more expensive headphones, just less enveloping. Tight and controlled.

I've always been very tempted to get the blessing 2 dusk, I suppose I should just quell that curiosity to save my wallet.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Still only have moondrop starfields. They fit so flipping good and have a totally non-fatiguing sound despite still providing plenty of detail. They honestly compete with my much more expensive headphones, just less enveloping. Tight and controlled.

I've always been very tempted to get the blessing 2 dusk, I suppose I should just quell that curiosity to save my wallet.
I moved from an Aria to a Dusk and was totally worth it. Sorry for your wallet. :)

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Timmy's measurements show a remarkable similarity in mids and highs between the Dusk and Blessing 3, just the bass profile changes and lower as well.

blessings.png

Fregly

Blessing 3 looks like Variations except less Harman Bass, flatter in the mids like Variations. Not really into the earlier rise through the low mids, which thickens things past real sounds for me. I am one of those who finds the 650 pretty gloppy on certain music.

markanini

Major Contributor
I will be adding on to my Moondrop Lan impressions after this post. Similarities to 7Hz Zero are seen on graphs, and my subjective impression agrees with that overall picture. At the same time there are differences in my subjective impression between the two, and there's a lot I want to say about that.

Meanwhile, Lan w/ a low shelf boost vs Kiwi Cadenza stock, a set that won a blind-ish shootout over much costly sets recently: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s-can-normal-people-tell-the-difference.43721 It would be great to own a set that sounds like my EQd Lan, but stock. But I don't think Cadenza sound great, it's just-ok to me despite graphing similarly.

Stay tuned.

Screenshot 2023-04-20 013935.png

1681949545582.png

Last edited:

markanini

Major Contributor
My impressions were made using the large stock tips and this EQ setting:
Code:
Filter 1: ON LSC Fc 500 Hz Gain 2.5 dB Q 0.510

I'll go straight to the point, with the Moondrop Lan I have a set that is free from any significant deficiency in it's response. Everything else I tried had some small issue. The Lans response is equally clear, balanced, neutral, detailed and I can listen at higher SPL without causing premature ear fatigue. Lyrics are intelligible, different kinds of studio flourishes in songs, like overlayed instruments and reverb effects, are articulated. Orchestral tracks sound lush. With Truthear Hola I had a slightly better drum presentation, a pseudo chest hitting quality, but Lan is better in all other areas and drums aren't bad at all.

My ranking is vs. other sub $50 IEMs:
Lan > Truthear Hola/7Hz Zero tie > Kiwi Cadenza > Moondrop Quarks DSP > CCA CRA v2

Last edited:

Moonhead

Which has The smallest Shell, hola or zero, thx?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just looking at the pics on the website (no dimensions quoted) and using the pin socket for scale they both look similar in terms of shell dimensions but the Zero nozzle looks considerably longer (it is a chunky thing to get in your ears)

63a416d13e3a40813f500292_ZERO_02.jpg
63b90583a5f15f673259e77b_HOLA (3).jpg
63b905849d70bb5945bf5183_HOLA (2).jpg

Moonhead

Hola it is, …when budget allows it.
You guys are gents.

Blorg

@Moonhead the Hola is substantially smaller than the Zero. The Zero IMO sounds a lot better though, the Hola is well tuned and inoffensive but also somewhat low res and muddy sounding. It's still good, it's still in that category of "well tuned cheap stuff", but I'd put most of the others I have heard in that category above it.

I'd take the Tin C2 Mech Warrior or Tangzu Wan'er over it. Or the Kiwiears Cadenza, Moondrop Lan/Chu, Quarks DSP, QKZ x HBB Khan... most of the other stuff to be honest. If it came out two years ago for $20 it would be revolutionary, but now it's just OK IMO, there are better options. Ergonomically, it's a good shape though.

DSC04144.JPG

Moonhead

@Moonhead the Hola is substantially smaller than the Zero. The Zero IMO sounds a lot better though, the Hola is well tuned and inoffensive but also somewhat low res and muddy sounding. It's still good, it's still in that category of "well tuned cheap stuff", but I'd put most of the others I have heard in that category above it.

I'd take the Tin C2 Mech Warrior or Tangzu Wan'er over it. Or the Kiwiears Cadenza, Moondrop Lan/Chu, Quarks DSP, QKZ x HBB Khan... most of the other stuff to be honest. If it came out two years ago for $20 it would be revolutionary, but now it's just OK IMO, there are better options. Ergonomically, it's a good shape though.

View attachment 280986
I know you like Variations, but What is your favorite from a value standpoint?
I almost purchased hexa as its small and neutral ish but it’s hard, making up my mind with all the 50 bucks iem coming in!

Blorg

I know you like Variations, but What is your favorite from a value standpoint?
I almost purchased hexa as its small and neutral ish but it’s hard, making up my mind with all the 50 bucks iem coming in!
Among the cheap stuff, the $29 Tin C2 Mech Warrior, it's really very good. Tangzu Wan'er is also very good for $20, it has slightly less in the upper mids/treble (but not as much less as the Hola), a touch more bass (and sounds like more again due to the less in the highs). Wan'er is very similar tuning to the Moondrop Aria and sounds very similar but 1/4 of the price.
1682235572153.png

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh hang on, which zero? Truthear or salnotes? Blorg and I talking about truthear.

Moonhead

Oh hang on, which zero? Truthear or salnotes? Blorg and I talking about truthear.
My bad, I was referring to 7hz zero, same Price and bulk as Hola.
Could opt for a more expensive one, but Reading on here it just dont
Seem worth it and blessing is Big.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Easily done- bad timing they both came out around the same time too! The TE Zero are too big, esp the nozzle

markanini

Major Contributor
Hola will not retrieve every detail of the recording like @Blorg says, but it will retrieve all enjoyment, Cadenza and Sal 0 don't stack up in that department. So it's a good purchase to set discerning expectations. It's accessories are comparable to $50 sets.

Blorg

Hola is slightly smaller than the 7Hz Salnotes Zero but it's a lot closer, they are quite similar size. I prefer the 7Hz Zero to the Hola as well, but I'd put the others I mentioned above it. If it's between the Hola and the 7Hz Zero though definitely the 7Hz Zero, it doesn't have any of the muddiness the Hola has. Maybe a bit of graininess instead. It's better though, and a good option. Ergonomically it's as close as to make no difference. Tin C2 and Wan'er above either though. C2 is very well built too, all metal shell. Wan'er is very cheap looking plastic, but sounds great.

The Hola is good as well, as @markanini says, if you wanted "relaxing" and "non fatiguing" it's that, and it is very well tuned. Just not as detailed as the others. If you were particularly sensitive to upper mids, Hola would be the best choice. If you can take a bit more clarity there though, without feeling it's too shouty/intense, the others are better options.

DSC04145.JPG

1682240321035.png

Top Bottom