• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monoprice Monolith THX 887 Balance Headphone Amp: New Champ?

I am curious why you do not trust 789 anymore, is it quality control issue or sound quality? Also do you know when is the march audio balanced headphone amp coming out? What will the performance be?

Oh sorry, just realized the ambiguity in what I wrote. I meant I don't trust the March Audio Headphone amp. I was thinking of getting it to replace the 789 when it came out (the measurements are supposed to surpass it), but now that I figured out the meaning of the slash in the earlier post I don't trust March Audio at all.

I'm thinking I might just cop a Sabaj D5 to use as the DAC for my 789, and call it a day. I'm kind of upset I missed all the sales. I might try to haggle with the guy selling them on Ebay right now though. I've been using the Topping NX4 DSD as my DAC to the thx 789, but if I get the smsl su-8 its just same chip different implementation. I want to at least get a better chip, and the D5 can give me that.

Last edited:

AnalogDE

Forum Donor
Oh sorry, just realized the ambiguity in what I wrote. I meant I don't trust the March Audio Headphone amp. I was thinking of getting it to replace the 789 when it came out (the measurements are supposed to surpass it), but now that I figured out the meaning of the slash in the earlier post I don't trust March Audio at all.

I'm thinking I might just cop a Sabaj D5 to use as the DAC for my 789, and call it a day. I'm kind of upset I missed all the sales. I might try to haggle with the guy selling them on Ebay right now though. I've been using the Topping NX4 DSD as my DAC to the thx 789, but if I get the smsl su-8 its just same chip different implementation. I want to at least get a better chip, and the D5 can give me that.

If you can wait, there will be a sale on Nov 11 (singles day) on aliexpress.

Yeah I guess I'll wait. Might accidentally oops spend $1200 on an RME ADI-2 by then, but....ugh. I just don't feel right spending money on that kind of gear. The kind of gear that barely influences sound, when I can be saving up to get some Meze Empyreans, or some electrostatics. Makes me really wonder what could possibly possess someone to spend 10K on something like a Kimber Kable. What I need to do is audition the #1 rated DAC, the matrix audio or whatever it is, so I can see how I can't even tell the difference between that, and the dac on my MacBook Pro . That will put some sense into my head that what I really need is to expand my headphone collection.

AnalogDE

Forum Donor
Yeah I guess I'll wait. Might accidentally oops spend $1200 on an RME ADI-2 by then, but....ugh. I just don't feel right spending money on that kind of gear. The kind of gear that barely influences sound, when I can be saving up to get some Meze Empyreans, or some electrostatics. Makes me really wonder what could possibly possess someone to spend 10K on something like a Kimber Kable. What I need to do is audition the #1 rated DAC, the matrix audio or whatever it is, so I can see how I can't even tell the difference between that, and the dac on my MacBook Pro . That will put some sense into my head that what I really need is to expand my headphone collection.

I just looked up the Meze Empyreans.... man, they are expensive!

Are they 2x better than the Senn HD 800S ?

I just looked up the Meze Empyreans.... man, they are expensive!

Are they 2x better than the Senn HD 800S ?

2x better? Probably not because diminishing returns. But they are definitely closer to being worth 3K than any other headphones. Watch the videos on their website and read more into them, and you might find they are worth the 3K just for the build quality. The Utopia are 4K, and I can barely tell the difference between them and the Clears. Insanely overpriced IMO, but obviously there are people out there who find them special.. The Abyss Phi TC are 5K and they don't even have the build quality of the Empyrean https://abyss-headphones.com/collections/abyss-headphones/products/abyss-ab-1266-phi-headphone. I have heard from some sources that they sound even better than the Empyrean. Not sure myself as I have never tried the Abyss. Hopefully I'll get to hear some of their stuff at the next event. Then there are electrostatics, where you get into even higher prices, because they require an electrostatic amp. Another new pair of expensive headphones came out https://raalrequisite.com/sr1a-earfield-monitors/
People are saying these are better than the Empyreans and more expensive electrostatics like the Stax flagship. I don't really know anything about them, but on their website they call them "true ribbon" headphones. Not sure what that means, but I believe they need a specialized amp, so they might just be another type of electrostatic. Haven't gotten to read anything about them yet, but it looks like they might come with their own amp, so the $3500 might actually be a bargain compared to other electrostatics.

Veri

Master Contributor
Note that the Empyrean sound quite warm and may not be for everyone. The Raal need insane power, you will need a speaker poweramp to tap from.

Also, don't fall prey to buying $600 headphone cables ... just like hearing little difference between good DACs the cable will be pure placebo ...

Also, don't fall prey to buying $600 headphone cables ... just like hearing little difference between good DACs the cable will be pure placebo ...[/QUOTE]

Yeah. Well an audible difference between cables definitely doesn't exist. There is probably a difference between dacs, though. Just not that much. I think spending money on something like an RME ADI-2 is a good idea if you already own all the headphones you want to own, and just want the best to hopefully maximize the other equipment you already own. And if it doesn't actually help, at least you have a bunch of cool features to mess around with. Plus German engineering.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
The Empyrean's are excellent in build detail and quality. Has a very luxurious feel to it. As for sound wise, its a pretty smooth sounding headphone. not quite warm, but definitely not the sort of in-your-face kind of energy that sometimes you get from Focal's. The Abyss Phi's need a neck upgrade for extended wear. Those sure felt heavy and definitely had that utilitarian finish which doesn't befit something of that price bracket.

As for headphone cables, well made ones can be found for under US$100/-. I really don't see the reason for paying over the top for them unless there are some aesthetic considerations that one insists on. Even then... nope, not gonna spend that kind of money for cables which doesn't make things "effectively" better.

The RME is quite the all in 1 unit that most people can use without remorse at all. Great DAC, great headphone amp, DSP function, XLR outputs.
A little long in the tooth, but still holds its own against any competition, so its still a great buy.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
By the time mine breaks, there will be something better out. Right now I'd like to focus on maximizing the returns on my current 789. I'm hoping that upgrading the cables and DAC will improve the soundstage and imaging.
Ouch.

How would you define better? Do you realise you've got a perfectly transparent gear, that can't be audibly upgraded?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Yeah. Well an audible difference between cables definitely doesn't exist.

You are right when it comes to balanced cables for sure.
Willing to bet there are audible differences with some headphone cables.
Not measurable with a sweep (as flat as can be between DC and > 1MHz)
in some cases it does sound different but has nothing to do with magic.
Just about poor engineering, thin wiring with low impedance single ended headphone designs with a 3-wire cable.
In all other circumstances I totally agree with it.
With speaker cables the resistance may be a reason though.

Last edited:

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I went to buy one and now they are out until 11/23/19. That prompted me to look for a combined Headphone Amp/DAC with a balanced output. Have you tested theirs? https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24459 Otherwise, the PecanPi is looking interesting as well since it also has streaming. What other alternatives should I be looking at?

If you're talking about power, then yes, there are more powerful ones out there. But, again, what does better mean to you?

I'm not saying there are definitely better amps out there right now (although there probably are), but I think it is a little myopic to assume that the thx 789 is the endpoint, and nothing will ever beat it. Technology is going to still keep progressing just like it always does.

Veri

Master Contributor
I would be thinking more of new value deals like upcoming SMSL THX amp rather than next best thing coming up anytime soon. Doubtful :)

Reactions: Sak

Shane D

Forum Donor
You are right when it comes to balanced cables for sure.
Willing to bet there are audible differences with some headphone cables.
Not measurable with a sweep (as flat as can be between DC and > 1MHz)
in some cases it does sound different but has nothing to do with magic.
Just about poor engineering, thin wiring with low impedance single ended headphone designs with a 3-wire cable.
In all other circumstances I totally agree with it.
With speaker cables the resistance may be a reason though.

I have always felt that expensive cables were a waste and that differences between headphone cables were small too for anyone to notice unless you were an audiophile or had the "golden ears". Unless you have a cheap or poorly made cable.

However, my thinking was altered a while ago. I use a DAP by Sony called the NW-ZX300. It has balanced headphone output and I was told that the balanced output was a lot "better". I bought a KK cable (4.4mm to 2 X 3.5mm) for under $100.00. I used the low gain setting and even volume matched I preferred it over the SE output. For some reason a few months later I bought a Sukira cable for about $165.00. The Sukira is stiff and a pain in the butt, but when compared back and forth, it does sound noticably better. I know this is not scientific, but I was surprised at the audible difference.

I will still NEVER buy a $500.00 cable, but there are definitely differences, however slight.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Objective differences exist when a common return-wire (3-wire cable) has a resistance that is substantial compared to the impedance of the headphone.
For any headphones above say 100 Ohm impedance the cable would have to be really crappy to create an audible difference.

For balanced connections there simply can not be any difference. When any are found one can rest assured it is wishful thinking. :)

Top Bottom