• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monoprice Monolith THX 887 Balance Headphone Amp: New Champ?

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

yummy

Because Drop and Monoprice rely on outsourced manufacturing. SMSL are manufacturers themselves. In fact, they started out as OEM factories for other brands

are you suggesting that smsl OEM this monoprice amp, given that both releasing in recent dates

that's toally reasonable

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
are you suggesting that smsl OEM this monoprice amp, given that both releasing in recent dates

that's toally reasonable
Nonono. I don't think so. At least that not what he meant. He was simply explaining why monoprice and thx can't keep up with the demand while smsl will likely to deliver.

maxxevv

Major Contributor

that's toally reasonable

No.

Nonono. I don't think so. At least that not what he meant. He was simply explaining why monoprice and thx can't keep up with the demand while smsl will likely to deliver.

That is correct.

SMSL manufacture their own products, hence have much. much better control over their delivery projections and timelines.

Shane D

Forum Donor
Something to watch out for. I am now an SMSL fan as I love my SMSL SU-8.

Wonder about the warranty though. I like the Monoprice idea of 5 years and they just replace it. It will be interesting to read more facts and specs on both as they come closer to availability.

Shane D

Jimmy

Until the SMSL amp comes up and is reviewed it's just guesswork, but from can be seen from the product pictures this is what I've noticed:

-It has 2 gain settings vs 3 for the Monoprice/Massdrop.
-It uses a toggle switch for powering it on and off vs a push switch in the Monoprice/Massdrop amps.
-It has a cheaper (lower product tier) look.
-It uses an internal power supply, this may be a good or a bad thing, but in cheap gear, I prefer external power bricks that can be easily replaced or upgraded if necessary.

As always it will depend of the price and performance, but certainly I would prefer to pay a bit more for the Monoprice/Massdrop (the Monoprice chassis is what I like the most with its brushed metal front, pity that there isn't a silver finish available).

It's too bad there isn't a good balanced DAC for around $400 or less to pair with this thing. Well I guess there is the D5 and the SU-8, but anything else? What about unbalanced options?

Veri

Master Contributor
It's too bad there isn't a good balanced DAC for around $400 or less to pair with this thing. Well I guess there is the D5 and the SU-8, but anything else? What about unbalanced options?
Grace SDAC balanced, SU-8, Sabaj D5, SMSL M500, Topping D70 ...

Single ended Topping D50s, khadas tone board/march audio DAC, jds labs EL DAC, so many more...

I personally wouldn't even bother with balanced DAC since gain III will clip but that's up to your preference, I don't find any problem using a good single ended DAC and you can still use the 4-pin XLR output in either case.

deafenears

Forum Donor
-It uses an internal power supply, this may be a good or a bad thing, but in cheap gear, I prefer external power bricks that can be easily replaced or upgraded if necessary.

Personally for me, I find it easier to find an IEC C13 power cord vs. digging through a bundle of SMPSs looking for one with the right voltage. Also, from what I've read, the Massdrop supplied power brick isn't that high in quality.

As always it will depend of the price and performance, but certainly I would prefer to pay a bit more for the Monoprice/Massdrop (the Monoprice chassis is what I like the most with its brushed metal front, pity that there isn't a silver finish available).
We don't know of the price yet, it may end up costing more than the Monoprice/Massdrop, especially if it's using the THX-888 rather than a modified THX-788.

AAA-Design-Specifications.jpg
Comparing-THX-AAA™-To-Conventional-Headphone-Amplifiers.jpg
From https://www.thx.com/mobile/aaa/

Veri

Master Contributor
The massdrop/monoprice brick is a simple well regulated SMPS and as can be seen on measurements of both devices, there is perfect performance so don't see how it would be a bad choice.

deafenears

Forum Donor
The massdrop/monoprice brick is a simple well regulated SMPS and as can be seen on measurements of both devices, there is perfect performance so don't see how it would be a bad choice.
I'm not saying you need an LPS, or that replacing the currently supplied regulated SMPS will improve performance. I'm just saying it isn't built to the quality of something like a Meanwell that's all. But I did do a quick search for reported reliability issues and didn't seem to find anything so maybe I'm just on crack.

Veri

Master Contributor
I'm not saying you need an LPS, or that replacing the currently supplied regulated SMPS will improve performance. I'm just saying it isn't built to the quality of something like a Meanwell that's all. But I did do a quick search for reported reliability issues and didn't seem to find anything so maybe I'm just on crack.
Mm yeah not sure about the brand. But I've not seen any bad reports of the supply either and the massdrop one has been 'in the wild' for some time. I believe the guys at THX helped implement the amplifier so I think they also went with a PSU that had their approval, it's the same supply in the Monoprice amp again after all :)

Single ended Topping D50s, khadas tone board/march audio DAC, jds labs EL DAC, so many more...

I personally wouldn't even bother with balanced DAC since gain III will clip but that's up to your preference, I don't find any problem using a good single ended DAC and you can still use the 4-pin XLR output in either case.

Right now I'm just using the line out on my topping nx4dsd. I have a cable that goes from 3.5 mm to dual XLR to connect the NX4 to the balanced inputs on the THX. I'm also using the balanced output on the 789 with my headphones. I tried comparing it to the Cirrus Logic CS42L83A in my MacBook Pro, and I'm pretty sure I can't tell the difference, so I have my doubts it is even worth it to upgrade to a better DAC. I'm still curious though, and would like to have something that looks nice, and has some functionality and a remote. I thought about the Sabaj while it was on sale for $375 on Aliexpress, now I don't feel right buying it at $469. I've considered getting a used RME ADI-2, but backed down at the last minute. I think I might wait to see the review on the SMSL M500. It will probably happen later on this month or next month since it just started shipping. I know it has the same DAC chip as the D5, and they claim it measures well, but I'd like to see an independent measurement.

Last edited:

Shane D

Forum Donor
Right now I'm just using the line out on my topping nx4dsd. I have a cable that goes from 3.5 mm to dual XLR to connect the NX4 to the balanced inputs on the THX. I'm also using the balanced output on the 789 with my headphones. I tried comparing it to the Cirrus Logic CS42L83A in my MacBook Pro, and I'm pretty sure I can't tell the difference, so I have my doubts it is even worth it to upgrade to a better DAC. I'm still curious though, and would like to have something that looks nice, and has some functionality and a remote. I thought about the Sabaj while it was on sale for $375 on Aliexpress, now I don't feel right buying it at $469. I've considered getting a used RME ADI-2, but backed down at the last minute. I think I might wait to see the review on the SMSL M500. It will probably happen later on this month or next month since it just started shipping.

I bought the SMSL SU-8 for $212.49 and it is great! Buying directly from Shenzhen is much cheaper than MassDrop if you are in Canada. They are imaginative in the paperwork. My landed cost, with shipping, exchange and taxes was about $285.00 in Canuck bucks. That would have been about $335.00 from MassDrop. I like the product and the transaction was painless. I would consider them for a THX amp, but if the warranty is only one year, that will be a no-go.

Shane D

PS: It is on sale for $212.49 right now. It is much cheaper for the Canadians on here than MassDrop.

I was considering getting the March Audio DAC, and then I noticed the slash, which led me to do some searching, and then I found out about the debacle.
I was considering getting the March Audio Balanced Headphone amp that is supposed to soon be released (to replace my thx 789). Don't trust it at all anymore.
I'm hoping there will be a headphone amp released this year that beats the thx 789. The Monoprice is clearly just a copy, and isn't worth my time to swap with the 789. Perhaps there will be a better headphone amp with an integrated DAC released in 2020. Can't wait to find out. My heart is still set on the RME ADI-2 dac, but for $1100 I could add another good pair of headphones to my collection, and that will give me much better returns than a nice dac. Focal Clears are on sale for 1K and they would fill a niche in my collection.

KimbaWLion

I have one due from MAssDrop in November I already warned them 1 yr vs. 5 yr for the warranty was going to make me cancel. They said they would get back to be... Yeah right....

bigjacko

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I was considering getting the March Audio DAC, and then I noticed the slash, which led me to do some searching, and then I found out about the debacle.
I was considering getting the March Audio Balanced Headphone amp that is supposed to soon be released (to replace my thx 789). Don't trust it at all anymore.
I'm hoping there will be a headphone amp released this year that beats the thx 789. The Monoprice is clearly just a copy, and isn't worth my time to swap with the 789. Perhaps there will be a better headphone amp with an integrated DAC released in 2020. Can't wait to find out. My heart is still set on the RME ADI-2 dac, but for $1100 I could add another good pair of headphones to my collection, and that will give me much better returns than a nice dac. Focal Clears are on sale for 1K and they would fill a niche in my collection.
I am curious why you do not trust 789 anymore, is it quality control issue or sound quality? Also do you know when is the march audio balanced headphone amp coming out? What will the performance be?

I have one due from MAssDrop in November I already warned them 1 yr vs. 5 yr for the warranty was going to make me cancel. They said they would get back to be... Yeah right....
Wow can you even negotiate with massdrop like that? I thought most company cannot change their policy that easily. Can you cancel the 789 now? I have seen people saying they cannot cancel their order.

I'm not worried about the warranty on the thx 789. By the time mine breaks, there will be something better out. Right now I'd like to focus on maximizing the returns on my current 789. I'm hoping that upgrading the cables and DAC will improve the soundstage and imaging. At $599 the Wywires platinum cable is a steal, and I hear it works wonders on increasing the soundstage on my particular pair of headphones. I'm thinking a Multibit or ladder dac would be really good for the imaging and dynamics. I also am looking into getting a tube amp. While I love the clear neutrality of the 789, there is nothing like the organic warmth and dimensionality of a tube amp. The depth, layering, and width can result in what I call "sonic holography" where it casts a wide sound field that stretches beyond the apparent confines of the definite soundstage.

Top Bottom