• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Monoprice Monolith THX 887 Balance Headphone Amp: New Champ?

I haven't checked but it may be a different company (like Schiit EU?), anyway they sell through amazon mostly 3D printers, some cables and headphones, and not much more, the prices are reasonable.
I believe it is their UK office, their support e-mail goes straight to monoprice.com

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So if we were somehow able to develop a pair of headphones/dac/amp/recording equipment that reproduces the same fluctuations in air pressure that were happening in the studio, and could somehow figure it out that all these things are 100% accurate, and someone listened to this stuff and said they don't like how it sounds, you would have to tell them they are "wrong" for not liking how it sounds?
No, nobody is "wrong" for liking whatever they like. Some people like 8-track, boom boxes, Justin Bieber and pink flamingos. Personal preference is personal preference. That has nothing to do with objective sound quality.

solderdude

Major Contributor
don't forget the pink panthers !

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
with all those hi-end hi-fidelity headphone amplifiers I got one question?
If you drive them with a DAC of moderate quality, like the khadas tone board, won't the produced noise from the DAC influence the headphone amp?
so a similar hi-fidelity DAC to drive this amplifier is a necessity.
Is this statement correct?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thread Starter #306
with all those hi-end hi-fidelity headphone amplifiers I got one question?
If you drive them with a DAC of moderate quality, like the khadas tone board, won't the produced noise from the DAC influence the headphone amp?
so a similar hi-fidelity DAC to drive this amplifier is a necessity.
Is this statement correct?
Distortion is additive. You need one device to be 10 dB better than the other to not have that effect. In that regard, you still benefit from using these amps because they won't add more distortion to the DAC of your choosing.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
I won't, considering I own two of them... :)

View attachment 33734
The ORIGINAL Pinkies !

Thar sounds quite early. Idk why massdrop and monoprice do the delays.
Because Drop and Monoprice rely on outsourced manufacturing. SMSL are manufacturers themselves. In fact, they started out as OEM factories for other brands as far as I understand of their history.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Distortion is additive. You need one device to be 10 dB better than the other to not have that effect. In that regard, you still benefit from using these amps because they won't add more distortion to the DAC of your choosing.
Don’t forget the distortion from speakers/headphones, which likely is the worst offender in your setup.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Lol....

Perhaps you were not aware why "Pinkies".

The Desert Rats were the Allied forces Long Range Desert Patrol of World War 2 who operated those vehicles in the African desert painted in pink, which were affectionately called Pink Panthers. Aka "Pinkies".

Their history predates the cartoon by more than 25 years.

solderdude

Major Contributor
Wasn't aware but had a hunch looking at Julf's pictures.

Were you aware of Mike's 'little Pinkies' ?
(He is a fan of Pink Floyd hence the naming)

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Desert Rats were the Allied forces Long Range Desert Patrol of World War 2 who operated those vehicles in the African desert painted in pink, which were affectionately called Pink Panthers. Aka "Pinkies".
To be totally technically accurate, the "Desert Rats" were the whole British 7th Armoured Division, but yes, the pink (and even sky blue) trucks were operated by the Long Range Desert Group (mostly pre-war civilian explorers / desert expedition people) who provided transport for the Special Air Service (SAS) for their raids. The name "Pink Panther" was only adopted for the Land Rover desert patrol vehicles specially converted for the SAS (by Marshalls of Cambridge) for use in Oman against soviet/communist-supported rebels from Yemen (see how history keeps repeating, just like bad pizza) that become operational in 1969 - so the movie was first.

7th_armoured_division_insignia_1944_3000px.png

maxxevv

Major Contributor
According to what I read, the Pinkies were commisioned for conversion from procured LandRovers in 68. When were they put into service exactly, I'm not so sure but the cartoon came out some time in 69.

Top Bottom