• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monoprice Monolith THX 887 Balance Headphone Amp: New Champ?

Bronco

One thing though is that my unit came with no documentation. No manual, No Legal info, No Warranty info. And there is no manual on the website.

View attachment 38833

The same is true for me, T.J.

A quick question for @amirm , or anyone else who might know. I have a pair of highly sensitive Campfire Solaris IEMs. If you were going to use these with the 887, would you recommend plugging them straight in on the low gain setting, or could there possibly be some benefit to using the iFi IEMatch to get the volume knob cranked up a little higher (while maybe even going up to the medium gain setting)?

T.J. Turner

Well I can't speak from experience but, $1400 IEMs have no excuse for not sounding great with everything you plug them in to.
I think it should be ok. Gain 1 is -10dB, but 16ohm gets 3200mW so I imagine you would not have much play with the volume though. 10ohm is unusual.
If the Ifi IEMatch is just an attenuator then it might help, but if its doing anything else I'd skip it.

Bronco

Well, the early returns are in and the “new toy bias factor” for this amp is officially off the charts. With both the Solaris single ended and the HD800S balanced, everything from Miles Davis to Rush to Pink Floyd to Michael Jackson to Tool is being delivered with what I would describe as seemingly effortless excellence. I won’t speak of any “lifting of veils” or how this amp has “sonically transported my soul to heights never before experienced”. I will merely say that, thus far anyway, its consistency seems to be it’s strongest attribute. Everything sounded very good and was thoroughly enjoyable. Now to be fair, my listening this evening has only included what I know to be well engineered recordings of at least redbook
quality resolution.

For those wondering about the heat output of the 887, my initial listening session lasted about two hours and the top of the amp never exceeded the ambient room temperature.

If the Ifi IEMatch is just an attenuator then it might help, but if its doing anything else I'd skip it.

I don’t know if @amirm has ever tested the iFi IEMatch, but in my experience, it’s a fairly transparent device. Tonight’s session seemed to back that up. Even with the low 10 ohm impedance of the Solaris, using the IEMatch with the 887 in low gain mode, I was easily in the 12:00 to 2:00 range on the volume knob.

NemoReborn

Looks great ! But i have hard telling the sound difference using the 1990 between the sabaj’s amp and the 887 ...

Attachments

• FA258CF7-D360-418C-835C-37510C90F8BA.jpeg
    FA258CF7-D360-418C-835C-37510C90F8BA.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 262
  • B3542627-5B42-4079-A8D3-E20670B6F1FE.jpeg
    B3542627-5B42-4079-A8D3-E20670B6F1FE.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 294

Veri

Master Contributor
Looks great ! But i have hard telling the sound difference using the 1990 between the sabaj’s amp and the 887 ...
I had the same experience connecting DX3 to a THX AAA. Surprisingly no extra fidelity, just more power especially over high gain / balanced output.

We all chasin' those SINADs. Sometimes disappointingly so :)

NemoReborn

I had the same experience connecting DX3 to a THX AAA. Surprisingly no extra fidelity, just more power especially over high gain / balanced output.

We all chasin' those SINADs. Sometimes disappointingly so :)

ill keep it since im planning to buy some t60rp argon and use them balanced ... so i can get rid of my basx a-100...

ZeDestructor

Since there's a few in the wild now, can anyone take theirs apart and do a teardown? I really want to see how different it is from the 789.

richpjr

I also just got mine. Its 0.7" shorter than the 789. It's not much when you measure it, but its easily noticeable right out of the box.
Also the feet a bigger and are silver instead of black.
One thing though is that my unit came with no documentation. No manual, No Legal info, No Warranty info. And there is no manual on the website.

View attachment 38833

This looks familiar - the 887 with an SU-8 is also my current stack.

Bronco

I did a second session before going to bed last night (about 2.5 hours straight) with just the HD800Ss on medium gain this time and again, the top of the chassis never rose above room temperature.

richpjr

I did a second session before going to bed last night (about 2.5 hours straight) with just the HD800Ss on medium gain this time and again, the top of the chassis never rose above room temperature.

Same with mine - this thing puts out no heat at all.

NemoReborn

when i am using the sabaj d5 feeding the 887 with xlr , im getting distortion to my headphone at my regular listening volume ?? never experienced this when using RCA ... i actualy have to reduce the gain from 3 to 2 on the 887 and pushing the volume back to listening volume and the distortion is gone .... any clue !???

NemoReborn

basicly after testing ... as soon as i am at gain 3 using xlr in , it introduce distortion even a low volume ... !????

T.J. Turner

when i am using the sabaj d5 feeding the 887 with xlr , im getting distortion to my headphone at my regular listening volume ?? never experienced this when using RCA ... i actualy have to reduce the gain from 3 to 2 on the 887 and pushing the volume back to listening volume and the distortion is gone .... any clue !???

I my SU-8 is connected by XLR also at Max output. But I'm not experiencing any distortion at all. Is there any other source connected to your abaj d5 that is turned off? If so turn it on.

Veri

Master Contributor
Gain 3 clips with 4V balanced output. This is actually mentioned in the manual IIRC. This doesn't happen with unbalanced, only with balanced input.

What headphone are you using that requires gain 3 though?! :)

Top Bottom