• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monoprice Monolith THX 887 Balance Headphone Amp: New Champ?

Bronco

In.

Cancelling my Drop THX 789 order a couple weeks ago went very smoothly (kudos to them) thereby freeing up the funds for this purchase.

Has Monoprice prepositioned a stock of these in the U.S.? They say I should have mine in CA by Friday.

Celty

I'm surprised it hasn't sold out yet. :oops::D
Well, as I have no idea on the number of units that came in, or the demand, I jumped right away. I hope there will be continued availability, as from Amir's review it is a worthy option. Hoping that my own experience will confirm this from a general consumer perspective.

T.J. Turner

I just noticed from the pictures that the Monolith THX 787 does not have any vents on top like the 789.
I wonder if it generates less heat?

qwerty88

I just noticed from the pictures that the Monolith THX 787 does not have any vents on top like the 789.
I wonder if it generates less heat?
Heat from my THX AAA 789 is barely perceptible by touch (if at all), even during the height of summer in SoCal. I wonder if anyone provided a heatmap of the unit. One would think that a marginally improved clone of the 789 in MP's 887 would run similarly cool. @amirm, did you find your review unit running at similarly cool temps as the 789?

Last edited:

Celty

Oooo... just got my shipping tracking number :)
Tries to calm down and look nonchalant...

richpjr

Just got my shipping notice from Monoprice - should be delivered tomorrow!

Celty

Just got my shipping notice from Monoprice - should be delivered tomorrow!
LOL, I cheaped out on shipping and from the midwest, so I am Jealous

Celty

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was going to order one and replace my Topping DX7s with a separate DAC/Monolith THX 787 setup but decided to be happy with what I have. It sounds really good to my ears. :) It's all I can do to not replace the DX7s with a DX7 Pro... Damned upgraditis. :mad:

Martin

Celty

I was sooo close to going with the DX7 Pro, but an upgrade decision was way easier for me as I am coming from an internal sound card. Go with the force... you can resist these urges :)

Veri

Master Contributor

yapst38

Hi just went to monoprice web the amp is in stock.
The international shipping charges about USD83.

Bronco

It has arrived - in less than 24 hours from the time I ordered it. Not bad. :D

It’s a little smaller than I thought it might be, but I’m definitely looking forward to giving it a listen tonight.

T.J. Turner

It has arrived - in less than 24 hours from the time I ordered it. Not bad. :D

It’s a little smaller than I thought it might be, but I’m definitely looking forward to giving it a listen tonight.

I also just got mine. Its 0.7" shorter than the 789. It's not much when you measure it, but its easily noticeable right out of the box.
Also the feet a bigger and are silver instead of black.
One thing though is that my unit came with no documentation. No manual, No Legal info, No Warranty info. And there is no manual on the website.

thx787.jpg

Last edited:

Celty

I also just got mine. Its 0.7" shorter than the 789. It's not much when you measure it, but its easily noticeable right out of the box.
Also the feet a bigger and are silver instead of black.
One thing though is that my unit came with no documentation. No manual, No Legal info, No Warranty info. And there is no manual on the website.

View attachment 38833
Wow, thanks for the picture, it gives me a preview of what my stack will look like.. :) Hmm, odd about no documentation, and I had already looked on their website for a manual.

Have you had a chance to get an impression of the sound from your pair?

Top Bottom