• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MM vs MI vs MC

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, the MP-500 is 720 mH.

Cable, in my case, is 58 pF.

Miller pF is unknown.

Is that total cable inside tonearm + tonearm cable?

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just the external cable.

Not including the pF inside the tonearm.

That is also unknown.

The capacitance of my UP-4 tonearm is specified to 28 pF. So you could probably add 20-30 pF.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just the external cable.

That is also unknown.

Regarding the MP500 can you say something about its physical dimension of the top (length and with). It seems to me that the top is not completely even/flat. I might buy one but I need to know if it is compatible with my current UP-4 arm.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Regarding the MP500 can you say something about its physical dimension of the top (length and with). It seems to me that the top is not completely even/flat. I might buy one but I need to know if it is compatible with my current UP-4 arm.

From the top, it's basically a flat rectangle.

Nothing exotic at all:

4967736076425.jpg

levimax

Major Contributor
Just the external cable.

That is also unknown.

When playing around with this stuff I have found that you really need an accurate capacitance meter (they are not expensive on Amazon) to make sure you are not spinning your wheels. I have found the capacitance specs for cables are not accurate and you need to know what is inside the tone arm as that can vary too.... especially if it has been replaced. Two instances that a meter really was valuable:

1. I bought a TT on Craigs list for a great price. Perfect condition and serviced but it sounded terrible. I checked everything and could not figure it out. Then I noticed the cables had been replaced with some "fancy" new ones. I checked the capacitance or the "upgraded" cable (which was hard wired in) and the tone arm and it was 550 pF! I replaced the cable and the TT worked and sounded great.

2. I bought a cheap "Y" connector to "sum to mono" and it sounded off for some reason. I check the capacitance and for the 6" "Y" cable it was 450 pF!

One thing that can throw the capacitance off is the connectors... even if the cable is low capacitance the connectors can really add more.

When trying to tune capacitance for cart loading it really helps to know where you are starting from and without a meter you are really driving blind.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
When trying to tune capacitance for cart loading it really helps to know where you are starting from and without a meter you are really driving blind.

Fortunately, I won't be trying to tune capacitance for cart loading for long term listening.

I have no patience for that when I can just EQ it directly, if desired, and then test the effect on sweeps.

Or just use my MCs, where it doesn't matter.

levimax

Major Contributor
I have no patience for that when I can just EQ it directly, if desired, and then test the effect on sweeps.

Intuitively it makes sense that it would be better to get as flat a response as possible in the analog world before you apply DSP. Multiple "filters" working against each other to get to flat seems like it would not be ideal. I have not idea if it audible or not.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From the top, it's basically a flat rectangle.

Nothing exotic at all:

4967736076425.jpg

Yes - but it seems that the edges are elevated. Is this correct?

JP

Major Contributor
Comment out these two lines

Code:
#plt.semilogx(freqout2h,ampout2h,color = 'g')
#plt.semilogx(freqout3h,ampout3h,color = 'r')

And these two to dump the labels

Code:
#plt.figtext(.17,.7,'- 2nd harmonic -',color = 'g')
#plt.figtext(.17,.67,'- 3rd harmonic -',color = 'r')

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
for a different look at arm/cartridge compatability :

https://korfaudio.com/calculator

With respect to effective mass, my UP-4 is 4 gram. The MP-500 dials in at 8,5 g. A compliance of 20 gives a fundamental resonance at 10 Hz. The arm is also damped with silicon oil so I am not sure the calculator takes that into consideration.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
More like the middle is slightly recessed.

It mounts just fine in any standard headshell.

Yes, but the UP-4 tonearm does not have any standard headshell. I am hesitant to whether the UP500 fits this version of arm.

narrow-small.jpg

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Comment out these two lines

Code:
#plt.semilogx(freqout2h,ampout2h,color = 'g')
#plt.semilogx(freqout3h,ampout3h,color = 'r')

And these two to dump the labels

Code:
#plt.figtext(.17,.7,'- 2nd harmonic -',color = 'g')
#plt.figtext(.17,.67,'- 3rd harmonic -',color = 'r')

Thanks!

This is pretty granular.

MP-500-0pF-Inverse.png

And the above sounds different to me than this:

MP-500-100pF-Inverse.png

Subjectively, in my room, on my speakers, I slightly prefer the 100pF. 0pF sounds a little lacking in presence in my set up, but on a different system, I might lean the other way. The +/- 0.5 - 1 dB difference is within the tolerances of carts and speakers, anyway.

Last edited:
OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Yes, but the UP-4 tonearm does not have any standard headshell. I am hesitant to whether the UP500 fits this version of arm.

narrow-small.jpg

I don't know how to help answer your question as I've never seen a UP-4 in person and know almost nothing about it.

Maybe write to Nagaoka?

Cadguy

I have a Shure V15VxMR that I really like and it still sounds good but I know the stylus is approaching the end of its life. I've considered the Jico SAS replacement but others who've used it in the V15 indicate it raises the high frequencies and makes it sound very bright. I believe its because the boron (and now sapphire) cantilever has a resonance in the audio band whereas the original in the Shure is beryllium. Would changing the loading and capacitance reduce this effect? On the other hand the Jico stylus price is pretty steep and I wonder if sonically the Nagaoka MP500 is the best replacement for the Shure V15VxMR?

Top Bottom