• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

miniDSP Flex

bathroomskank

Is there any issue to plug the balanced output from the Flex to a RCA input of a SVS SB1000Pro through this adapter and a RCA cable ?

3497674100292_h_f_l_2

Thanks

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
613XAuQfrvL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Like this ? Plugging in just one RCA ?
Neither of those work properly. The first example will work for an analogue input to TRS, but on the output it will short one of the balanced pairs to earth (the signal normally on the ring). This has the risk of damaging the output.

The second one is for stereo to stereo (Tip goes to one RCA, Ring goes to the other, Sleeve goes to both). If you use the correct RCA, then it can work - the other RCA will have an inverted signal (180degrees out of phase). You'll have one of the RCA's hanging around not plugged into anything. I'm not sure you can buy the connector you need for an ouput : you may need to make it up for yourself.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But again, you have only TS connectors which will short circuit the ring connector in the Flex output. The output has 3 terminals, one for each of TRS. The tip contact will connect to the tip of your plug fine. But both the R and S terminal will be connected together by the sleeve of your plug. Since R is an output and S is ground, you short the R output to ground - with possible damage resulting.

Tip is positive
Ring is negative
Sleeve is ground

You need a connector that uses a TRS jack, and connects Tip of TRS to Pin of RCA, and Sleeve of TRS to shield of RCA, leaving ring unconnected. I've just bough the TRS Connectors to solder up myself. I'm probably going to cut the end of an existing RCA to RCA pair, and put the TRS connectors in place of the RCA on that end.

MCH

Major Contributor
But again, you have only TS connectors which will short circuit the ring connector in the Flex output. The output has 3 terminals, one for each of TRS. The tip contact will connect to the tip of your plug fine. But both the R and S terminal will be connected together by the sleeve of your plug. Since R is an output and S is ground, you short the R output to ground - with possible damage resulting.

Tip is positive
Ring is negative
Sleeve is ground

You need a connector that uses a TRS jack, and connects Tip of TRS to Pin of RCA, and Sleeve of TRS to shield of RCA, leaving ring unconnected. I've just bough the TRS Connectors to solder up myself. I'm probably going to cut the end of an existing RCA to RCA pair, and put the TRS connectors in place of the RCA on that end.
Sorry, was confused, edited later...
This?
Screenshot_20220501-165819_Amazon Shopping.jpg + Screenshot_20220501-165732_Amazon Shopping.jpg?
I am interested as i will be i the same situation soon...

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Almost certain that will work. It would be wise to check exactly what the XLR to RCA connections are.

Here is the correct wiring as defined by MiniDSP

Though I think my definition above will work also.

Last edited:

Radxge

Anyone been successful using the USB B port of the Flex to trigger an amplifier?
I have this this question before but never seen an answer.

My Flex Balanced will arrive this week and eager to have something that will automatically turn on/off my amplifier based on the Flex's power status. I could always use something like the link below but I prefer the usb route as I already have a power bar:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone been successful using the USB B port of the Flex to trigger an amplifier?
I have this this question before but never seen an answer.

My Flex Balanced will arrive this week and eager to have something that will automatically turn on/off my amplifier based on the Flex's power status. I could always use something like the link below but I prefer the usb route as I already have a power bar:
The Flex is a USB peripheral, not a USB host - so doesn't output power. How are you hoping to trigger the amp?

bathroomskank

Thank you for all the answers.
Almost certain that will work. It would be wise to check exactly what the XLR to RCA connections are.

Here is the correct wiring as defined by MiniDSP

Though I think my definition above will work also.
f4tBi8RhZRGlxeFP3NxwPieoDKH7GAMmDA.png

Sorry for the dumb question :
So I cut an RCA cable, then solder the other part as above. But I don't understand what to do with the shield connected to the white end.

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for all the answers.

f4tBi8RhZRGlxeFP3NxwPieoDKH7GAMmDA.png

Sorry for the dumb question :
So I cut an RCA cable, then solder the other part as above. But I don't understand what to do with the shield connected to the white end.
That diagram only works if you have balanced cable with two conductors. If you are chopping up an RCA cable (like I have) you only have a single conductor plus shield.

In that case, you have to connect red as shown, but shield as the white conductor.

Radxge

The Flex is a USB peripheral, not a USB host - so doesn't output power. How are you hoping to trigger the amp?
You are right... there is no USB host port like the SHD. Thank you!!

I think I have three options and I have not made my mind yet... the context is that I will play musing on my Flex using a PC (either USB or Bluetooth).

1) The amp is powered in tandem with my PC. I can connect the amp's trigger input to a PC's USB port. The bios needs to be setup so that USB ports are turned off when PC is turned off. An alternative would be to connect a 12v trigger cable to a MOLEX cable directly attached to the power supply (this requires slicing the cables).

2) Use a smart power bar like the link I provided above. The Flex's power is connected to the "control outlet" and the power amp's power cable is connected to one of the "automatically switched outlet". The power of the Flex and amp will be perfectly synchronized. The control outlet assumes that the connected device is off when it draws less 16W. This should be fine as the Flex draws 3-10W when idle and standby.

3) Use a more standard power bar that can be turned on/off with a remote. Connect the power amp to Emotiva's ET-3 Trigger Expansion Module. Connect the module and the Flex to the power bar. https://emotiva.com/collections/accessories/products/et-3

Last edited:

MCH

Major Contributor
You are right... there is no USB host port like the SHD. Thank you!!

I think I have three options and I have not made my mind yet... the context is that I will play musing on my Flex using a PC (either USB or Bluetooth).

1) The amp is powered in tandem with my PC. I can connect the amp's trigger input to a PC's USB port. The bios needs to be setup so that USB ports are turned off when PC is turned off. An alternative would be to connect a 12v trigger cable to a MOLEX cable directly attached to the power supply (this requires slicing the cables).

2) Use a smart power bar like the link I provided above. The Flex's power is connected to the "control outlet" and the power amp's power cable is connected to one of the "automatically switched outlet". The power of the Flex and amp will be perfectly synchronised

3) Use a more standard power bar that can be turned on/off with a remote. Connect the power amp to Emotiva's ET-3 Trigger Expansion Module. Connect the module and the Flex to the power bar. https://emotiva.com/collections/accessories/products/et-3
Raxde, do you already have an amplifier? There are amplifiers with signal sensing (they turn on when they detect an incoming signal)

Radxge

Raxde, do you already have an amplifier? There are amplifiers with signal sensing (they turn on when they detect an incoming signal)
Good point. My understanding is that Benchmark AHB2 that I ordered a few weeks ago (not yet shipped) does not have signal sensing. My second option was NAD C298 which has such option... (but I ultimately preferred the performance and small size of the AHB2)

Reactions: MCH

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good point. My understanding is that Benchmark AHB2 that I ordered a few weeks ago (not yet shipped) does not have signal sensing. My second option was NAD C298 which has such option... (but I ultimately preferred the performance and small size of the AHB2)
What’s your source? Does it have a trigger out or an optical digital out?

Radxge

What’s your source? Does it have a trigger out or an optical digital out?
Source is PC (Windows).

My PC does not have an optical digital out and I intend using either USB (or perhaps Bluetooth).
I know that BobWire DAT1 adds a 12V trigger to source having a digital audio output... not sure if this is what you had in mind.

Thanks.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Source is PC (Windows).

My PC does not have an optical digital out and I intend using either USB (or perhaps Bluetooth).
I know that BobWire DAT1 adds a 12V trigger to source having a digital audio output... not sure if this is what you had in mind.

Thanks.
Would you consider changing your source to a streaming device? I use a Yamaha WXC-50 and it works perfectly triggering my amp whenever I'm playing any music and shutting off after some idle time. I use spotify connect from my phone or ipad as well as stream from a local music server (asset) running on my PC .

Top Bottom