• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

miniDSP Flex

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If we're talking about what I said earlier, it's

AVR sub pre outs > radial j+4* > trs flex > sub amps > subs

I had a few minutes to test the Flex last night. I can confirm that it was okay to keep the Flex volume at 0 as my main AVR volume is relatively so low. In fact, I even ran the Flex input gain at +12 and it was all good. Wasn't anywhere close to clipping the flex.

As as my usage goes, it'll be hard to actually clip the Flex. But ymmv.

*Converts from unbalanced RCA to balanced xlr and provides ground loop isolation, which is pretty interesting. With everything hooked up, but nothing playing, I'm sitting at -90 input on the flex. Use the radial j+4 to lift the ground and it goes to -100. That difference is very noticable, especially when the room is quiet.
OK - I completely misunderstood.

The only thing I'd say then, is with very low level inputs on the flex, you won't be doing your signal:noise ratio much good. The (fixed) noise level now being added to the low signal, then amplified by the sub built in amp. Not an issue though if you can't hear it.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the responses @TheBatsEar and @waynel !

Now that I've put more thought, I will need an RCA input (turntable/phono preamp) and an RCA output for my SVS 1000 pro sub, so basically, the only balanced connection I need in the chain is for the amp. Might not be worth all the trouble of adapters for both input/output when I can just use the unbalanced version and as @TheBatsEar said, I lose a few dBs of SINAD...
I would still get the balanced version if I were you since you have a balanced input to the amp.

Reactions: MCH

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would still get the balanced version if I were you since you have a balanced input to the amp.
Another very good reason for going balanced is the risk of ground loops when driving a remote sub over unbalanced connection. If that were to be a problem and you have a balanced Flex, you have the option of putting an active balanced-unbalanced converter next to the sub and solving it.

Omar Cumming

RCA input model ordered.

Cheers

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You gain maybe a few dB noise and have no problems with ground loops.

Then again, you pay a lot more and may have no ground loops anyway. I too have the RCA variant, i only have one device using XLR/TRS and it wasn't worth it for me to pay more and get all the adapter cables to RCA.

aikofan

Today I just received the Flex that I ordered on March 6. Before I can start playing with it, I‘m waiting to receive a mini PC that I ordered to play music (got tired of waiting for RPIs to restock) and configure the Flex and run REW. I didn‘t add Dirac because my understanding is that it’s missing the bass management feature, which is my primary purpose, and so using REW to set up my crossovers and delay would be just as easy and way cheaper.

Smitty2k1

Today I just received the Flex that I ordered on March 6. Before I can start playing with it, I‘m waiting to receive a mini PC that I ordered to play music (got tired of waiting for RPIs to restock) and configure the Flex and run REW. I didn‘t add Dirac because my understanding is that it’s missing the bass management feature, which is my primary purpose, and so using REW to set up my crossovers and delay would be just as easy and way cheaper.
That's a real bummer about Dirac of you're gonna shell out $200.

Using my AVR, which has the base version of Audyssey without phone app support looks better and better.

poxymoron

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
While this is technically true, it makes very little if any difference if you are using 2 subs. With both subs up as mono, but such that the R sub is tied to the R channel and the L sub is tied to the L channel, bass management basically just works. Yes, Dirac will correct the speaker and corresponding sub of each channel together, but considering you will have them crossed over it does effectively balance each sub independently in practice. If this was more than a 2 channel setup (like an AVR) it would not work well, but for 2+2 it works. One sub would also work fine, but more than 2 and you'll have more to sort out.

aikofan

While this is technically true, it makes very little if any difference if you are using 2 subs. With both subs up as mono, but such that the R sub is tied to the R channel and the L sub is tied to the L channel, bass management basically just works. Yes, Dirac will correct the speaker and corresponding sub of each channel together, but considering you will have them crossed over it does effectively balance each sub independently in practice. If this was more than a 2 channel setup (like an AVR) it would not work well, but for 2+2 it works. One sub would also work fine, but more than 2 and you'll have more to sort out.
But the key difference I’m looking at is Dirac vs just using REW to determine delay, crossover, and filters, and in that comparison, I don’t see much difference either, except for about $200. However, I’ve never used Dirac, so I might be underestimating it. Does it automatically determine the correct delay or do you have measure that separately and just enter the correct numbers?

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But the key difference I’m looking at is Dirac vs just using REW to determine delay, crossover, and filters, and in that comparison, I don’t see much difference either, except for about $200. However, I’ve never used Dirac, so I might be underestimating it. Does it automatically determine the correct delay or do you have measure that separately and just enter the correct numbers?
Dirac doesn't integrate subs until you have Bass Control, so that's on you. One of the reasons it didn't work out for me when I tried it. I got it close, but never quite "there".

Sluraad

I've not used DLBC, but I have used a minidsp 2x4HD with MultiSubOptimizer (free software) in my HT. The kind of results I get with MSO are simply astounding, light years beyond what the latest Audyssey XT32 as well as manual REW tuning can do alone. It took my two sub setup to 10hz pretty flat across my 3 seat setup, the resulting EQ curves that did this we way more complicated than what I could have feasibly calculated myself.

On my desktop setup I've used the Dirac software in a free trial to see what it was all about. I was floored, the response was just as good as I could have done myself with REW + EqAPO, but the delay and volume were more precisely calibrated than I could do manually and it completely linearized the phase.

I got a minidsp flex to do Dirac in hardware and add in a subwoofer, if I had two subs I would feel no hesitation using MSO and feeling like I got my moneys worth.

Would be pretty cool to try out DLBC though.

VeerK

Haven’t had a chance to go through the thread yet, but has anyone gotten the Flex Digital for use as a DSP XO for their speakers? Any impressions on that front while I wait for my unit would be appreciated

Top Bottom