• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 16 2.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 117 20.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 435 76.0%

• Total voters

AaronJ

I recently incorporated a Flex into my system, and I must say this is the most temperamental piece of electronics I've used since a PC loaded with Windows Vista. It needs to be power cycled every single time I want to connect it to my MacBook. Switching between presets sometimes mutes individual speakers, or sometimes it makes very loud pops or buzzes through speakers when switching. Sometimes it boots at full gain noise floor with extreme speaker hiss yet still plays music at the set gain level, also necessitating a power cycle. Loading Dirac profiles to different presets is extremely convoluted needing to go back and forth between Dirac Live and DSP software (which also prompts power cycles). Restoring the device to factory settings is often required due to some error configuring presets. I was hoping that the Flex could replace my preamp, but alas this is also not possible because my phono stage outputting 500mV causes the 2V max input to occasionally clip. I'm running a gain dance between all the devices - integrated amp set to 2 o'clock, Flex set to -20 dB (because 0 dB causes ridiculous speaker hiss, a known issue), and preamp set between 11 and 1. It almost makes the entire process not worth it. I'm just going to have to finally set it and forget it once I get it dialed in.

I purchased a Flex to try and correct some of my room issues: speakers only 3" from the wall, mounted too high to be out of reach of my toddler and pointed down toward the listener, seated position also against a wall 10' away, and speakers/listening positions along the long walls of a 22'x12' room. Running Dirac Live was actually not so bad and only took about an hour until I had my first filter up and running. With a few tweaks for personal preference, I must say that the improvement is very noticeable. Dirac Live filled in a big 70Hz suck-out, corrected a massive 150Hz hump, and filled in a dip below the speaker crossover between 2kHz and 3kHz which seems to be caused by the large couch based on the microphone measurements. The cleaned up bass response especially at 150Hz is fantastic, clarifying bass notes and revealing detail that was obscured by the bloat in this region.

Is it all worth $800+ for the Flex, microphone, and Dirac Live license? I think so. Prior to installing the DSP into my chain I was already happy with the sound but had a feeling there were noticeable improvements to be made given less-than-ideal listening setup. I have about $6000 worth of equipment from turntable to speakers so getting noticeable improvement from an $800 investment seems to be very much worth it. At the end of the day I also feel pretty good knowing the Flex can be an endgame device that can stay in my system wherever it is located. But given all the technical issues I described in the first paragraph I worry it's going to just shit the bed one day, so I'm happy I purchased from an authorized US dealer instead of direct from miniDSP.

mglobe

Forum Donor
I recently incorporated a Flex into my system, and I must say this is the most temperamental piece of electronics I've used since a PC loaded with Windows Vista. It needs to be power cycled every single time I want to connect it to my MacBook. Switching between presets sometimes mutes individual speakers, or sometimes it makes very loud pops or buzzes through speakers when switching. Sometimes it boots at full gain noise floor with extreme speaker hiss yet still plays music at the set gain level, also necessitating a power cycle. Loading Dirac profiles to different presets is extremely convoluted needing to go back and forth between Dirac Live and DSP software (which also prompts power cycles). Restoring the device to factory settings is often required due to some error configuring presets. I was hoping that the Flex could replace my preamp, but alas this is also not possible because my phono stage outputting 500mV causes the 2V max input to occasionally clip. I'm running a gain dance between all the devices - integrated amp set to 2 o'clock, Flex set to -20 dB (because 0 dB causes ridiculous speaker hiss, a known issue), and preamp set between 11 and 1. It almost makes the entire process not worth it. I'm just going to have to finally set it and forget it once I get it dialed in.

I purchased a Flex to try and correct some of my room issues: speakers only 3" from the wall, mounted too high to be out of reach of my toddler and pointed down toward the listener, seated position also against a wall 10' away, and speakers/listening positions along the long walls of a 22'x12' room. Running Dirac Live was actually not so bad and only took about an hour until I had my first filter up and running. With a few tweaks for personal preference, I must say that the improvement is very noticeable. Dirac Live filled in a big 70Hz suck-out, corrected a massive 150Hz hump, and filled in a dip below the speaker crossover between 2kHz and 3kHz which seems to be caused by the large couch based on the microphone measurements. The cleaned up bass response especially at 150Hz is fantastic, clarifying bass notes and revealing detail that was obscured by the bloat in this region.

Is it all worth $800+ for the Flex, microphone, and Dirac Live license? I think so. Prior to installing the DSP into my chain I was already happy with the sound but had a feeling there were noticeable improvements to be made given less-than-ideal listening setup. I have about $6000 worth of equipment from turntable to speakers so getting noticeable improvement from an $800 investment seems to be very much worth it. At the end of the day I also feel pretty good knowing the Flex can be an endgame device that can stay in my system wherever it is located. But given all the technical issues I described in the first paragraph I worry it's going to just shit the bed one day, so I'm happy I purchased from an authorized US dealer instead of direct from miniDSP.
I’ve never had those kind of issues at all. Something is clearly wrong. Are you running the latest firmware?

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

This is a very unfortunate user experience. I've had my Flex since February and have not had any of these issues since the first firmware update I applied. In the beginning I had the volume jump problem when switching presets with Dirac enabled, but then reported the bug and they fixed it very quickly in the next firmware update. I also had an issue updating the firmware the first time. I reported that along with the necessary troubleshooting info and they gave me a temporary work around and also fixed that in the next release as well. They have been very responsive and helpful when I've reached out, as long as you understand/accept the time zone difference and don't expect a reponse for up to 24h. Either way, I highly recommend contatcing miniDSP support.

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Mine also running faultlessly. I'd contact MiniDSP and ask for help.

aikofan

I’ve also had problems with my Flex, although not to this extent. My problems include
  1. Updating from old plugin to new Device Console and firmware 1.53 was a disaster, causing my Flex to lose connection with the PC, so I couldn’t play music for over a week and I was exchanging emails with miniDSP tech support every day. I finally managed to downgrade everything (firmware was a big challenge because I couldn’t connect it to my PC and I found out that the reset button has no effect on the firmware) and get it to working the way it was before with the old plugin and firmware.
  2. The 2 Windows PC players I use, LMS local player and Foobar2000, often have glitches, especially when I try to use the miniDSP ASIO driver. Right now, Foobar isn’t working with the Flex with any driver, but I’ve been able to have LMS working with ASIO after their last version update a few days ago, although previously I had to use one of the Windows drivers.
  3. Sometimes in standby, the Flex stays very hot, so I have it plugged into a switched surge protector so I could shut off power externally.
Aside from that, it’s been great.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve been wondering if the Apple TV remote can learn the Minidsp remote. Mostly just to be able to change the volume.

Anyone use this functionality or would be able to try for me? Given that they’re final sale I want to be sure before I purchase. Thank you.

I can confirm that the MiniDSP can learn buttons from an Apple remote.

anotherhobby

Forum Donor
I’ve been wondering if the Apple TV remote can learn the Minidsp remote. Mostly just to be able to change the volume.

Anyone use this functionality or would be able to try for me? Given that they’re final sale I want to be sure before I purchase. Thank you.
I just tested this for you in addition to abdo123's confirmation above of the reverse. Volume up/down/mute all work fine from the AppleTV 4k Remote after learning from the miniDSP remote. AppleTV had no issues learning and it was smooth sailing.

AaronJ

Thank you for the feedback on the poor performance of my unit. I restored it to factory configuration and all the issues resolved themselves, except for needing to hard restart to connect to my Macbook. Noise floor issues at high/full gain disappeared, as they should be. No popping or any other nonsense when switching configurations. Am able to get all my Dirac Live curves loaded. Very happy with my investment. It took me a long time to come around on digitizing my precious analog signal but I'm glad I did - this ought to be an endgame device.

pau

Anyway to make flex go to standby after a while automatically if no audio signal ? Its the only device i have that cant do it.

Even its backed tons of features seem to miss the key essentials.

mglobe

Forum Donor
Thank you for the feedback on the poor performance of my unit. I restored it to factory configuration and all the issues resolved themselves, except for needing to hard restart to connect to my Macbook. Noise floor issues at high/full gain disappeared, as they should be. No popping or any other nonsense when switching configurations. Am able to get all my Dirac Live curves loaded. Very happy with my investment. It took me a long time to come around on digitizing my precious analog signal but I'm glad I did - this ought to be an endgame device.
Glad to hear you got it sorted. FYI, I run my TT signal through an Apt Holman pre and into the flex for Sub integration and Dirac. Perversely, the fact that this may give some analog purist concern gives me some pleasure. I love playing records, for several reasons, not the least of which is nostalgia, but I want room correction too.

anotherhobby

Forum Donor
Anyway to make flex go to standby after a while automatically if no audio signal ? Its the only device i have that cant do it.

Even its backed tons of features seem to miss the key essentials.
Not that I am aware of. I solved for it using home automation and a smart switch for the wall wart. It just turns on when I use my office and turns off when I'm done.

pau

Not that I am aware of. I solved for it using home automation and a smart switch for the wall wart. It just turns on when I use my office and turns off when I'm done.
I got pretty much same with hue switch socket attached to lounge lights room. When evening go sleep it will turn off power from flex with the mood lights, but in the morning turning lights on and watch news from TV i would prefer it stay off not start with the assigned light group.

I might need to look programing hue switch additional buttons to control the flex. Pity a 20th century device dont have these essential easy to use & save the energy basic features.

anotherhobby

Forum Donor
I got pretty much same with hue switch socket attached to lounge lights room. When evening go sleep it will turn off power from flex with the mood lights, but in the morning turning lights on and watch news from TV i would prefer it stay off not start with the assigned light group.

I might need to look programing hue switch additional buttons to control the flex. Pity a 20th century device dont have these essential easy to use & save the energy basic features.
Not going to thread hijack, but if you want incredibly powerful control over devices in your home without giving up your privacy, I highly recommend Home Assistant. It's open source, very reliable, and free. It's simply the best home automation platform there is (and works with Hue and thousands of other devices).

pau

Not going to thread hijack, but if you want incredibly powerful control over devices in your home without giving up your privacy, I highly recommend Home Assistant. It's open source, very reliable, and free. It's simply the best home automation platform there is (and works with Hue and thousands of other devices).
I will read it on the morning coffee thanks! :)

hoppy IPA

I just tested this for you in addition to abdo123's confirmation above of the reverse. Volume up/down/mute all work fine from the AppleTV 4k Remote after learning from the miniDSP remote. AppleTV had no issues learning and it was smooth sailing.

If the Flex learns the Apple remote for volume will the MiniDsp factory remote still work for volume control?
In other words, can both remotes work at the same time?

anotherhobby

Forum Donor
If the Flex learns the Apple remote for volume will the MiniDsp factory remote still work for volume control?
In other words, can both remotes work at the same time?
Yes. 100%.
EDIT: I don't have any idea. I just know the AppleTV can learn the miniDSP remote, and you could use either remote to control the miniDSP. That you can do. I've not tried the way you are asking, so I cannot answer your question.

Last edited:

anotherhobby

Forum Donor
thank you
Oh wait. :facepalm:
I misread your question and was thinking the reverse. In other words, I was thinking the AppleTV can learn the miniDSP remote, and you could use either remote to control the miniDSP. That you can do. I've not tried the way you are asking, so I cannot answer your question. I'll edit my post above so as to not unintentionally mislead others.

pau

When swapping presets it allways defaults compressor enable = off even when the lines stay colored and active.

1668321513679.png

Anyone care to test is this bug universal or is it just my unit?

Dean

Have you tested it with a Dirac license enabled? Literature states that internal processing drops to 48khz with Dirac

Top Bottom