• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 17 3.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 118 20.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 437 75.9%

• Total voters

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yes, but there are no application examples with two boxes. The question is if the software lets you do it if the makes did not even envision the application.
Also p. 33-34

Kegemusha

This will cost some 630 Euros if I add the mic and the Dirac lic and I dont even need BT (so we will pay the Lic to qualcomm there).
Is in the border of expensive unit to me.

If you do not order the Dirac lic, do this has som SW that you can use without paying extra?

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s 620 euro off the official website all included.
I meant "hold me back, bros", not push me to order. ;-)

I’m not sure, but I think it also doesn’t support DSD.
I scanned the manual, no DSD support. Probably doesn't make sense anyway, since since the math (DSPing) can't be done on DSD without converting to PCM trivially.

Eetu

Forum Donor
Can you do a four channel XO with two boxes, either using one for left and one for right or by routing sub and midbass through one and midrange and highs through the other?
If you mean 4-way XO (8 channels) then I would imagine yes, but you would have to use either analog in or for digital in you would need a separate device upstream that has 2 SPDIF outputs (such as the Nanodigi).
This will cost some 630 Euros if I add the mic and the Dirac lic and I dont even need BT (so we will pay the Lic to qualcomm there).

If you do not order the Dirac lic, do this has som SW that you can use without paying extra?
Yep, it's the same plugin as with the 2X4HD and SHD. Channel routing, gain, delay, parametric EQ, FIR filter support. See the manual for more info.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

it's better to buy the dirac license seperately so you don't pay VAT on it. if you ever make the decision that is.

will.b

Forum Donor
If anyone in the UK is considering purchasing then this might help:

I purchased the balanced version without Dirac for $550 plus the TRS to XLR cables $40. Shipping was $30 from DHL.
I received the miniDSP Flex after 6 days and the cables 2 days after that.
This cost in GBP was about £450 in total when I paid for it on their website.
The import duty/VAT was about £100 collected by DHL.

So door to door in the UK it was £550

It's sitting perfectly below my xbox series x :cool:

eardiggler

Newbie question: Can one purchase the TRS version like Amir has and use a TRS to single ended adapter to hook up an analog device like a record player/reel to reel? Same question on the output side, can an adapter be used on the TRS output to output to my a single ended amplifier?

Ultrasonic

Yep, it's the same plugin as with the 2X4HD and SHD. Channel routing, gain, delay, parametric EQ, FIR filter support. See the manual for more info.

Pretty much but just to avoid confusion the 2x4 HD, DDRC-24 and SHD all have different plugins, although most the the functionality is the same. Importantly though the models that run Dirac Live do not have FIR support via the plugin.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Newbie question: Can one purchase the TRS version like Amir has and use a TRS to single ended adapter to hook up an analog device like a record player/reel to reel? Same question on the output side, can an adapter be used on the TRS output to output to my a single ended amplifier?
This shouldn't be an issue no.

dkinric

Yes. MiniDSP has free PC software that connects to the Flex via USB where you can set LP and HP crossovers for all 4 channels as well as time delay, etc. It's great for bass management with up to two subs. Dirac works like a next step, additional software functionality that generates a target curve (that you can modify) based on measurements of the room.
I've had the Flex w/ Dirac for about a month and am really happy with it. It has transformed my 2.2 system to the next level, with the most noticeable improvement in the bass. Highly recommended.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
@amirm thanks again for another great review. I think you forgot to mention that for extra $200 you also get Dirac Live 3.0 license. The Flex has become the ultimate subwoofer DSP device for those that need balanced in/out. I myself replaced my two miniDSP 2x4 HD with a pair of Flex and can't be happier.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company

Yes, REW.

Tangband

Major Contributor
I use for room correction and calibration (double mono auto calibration fonction) then input some modifications to my taste. The result is superb.
Ok, but you cant do dsp crossover the way you use your behringer, with digital out to a dac . I suppose you have loudspeakers with analog crossovers and use the Behringer dsp as a roomcorrection and eq ?

You can have much better results with a real, active dsp crossover .Thats next level. The minidsp flex can do both: dsp roomcorrection, eq + digital crossover.

Last edited:

eardiggler

This shouldn't be an issue no.
So, it sound like there is really no downside to upgrading to the TRS version ($75US) and using a TRS (balanced) to RCA (single ended) adapter on the input and output side of this processor? In that case it seems like the TRS version would be the best route for people wanting to 'future proof' their purchase if they only have single ended components now but might upgrade to 'balanced' components in the future. If I'm misunderstanding something here please correct me. Thanks!

Last edited:

BostonJack

Editor
My take on this product is that it's a useful high end way of applying DSP/EQ "in hardware" rather than those that prefer or are able to implement it in software at the playback source - the usefulness of that is debateable depending on use case and personal preference, but as a poster pointed out earlier it's not really a replacement for an AV home theatre product.
I definitely have this device on my wish list now. I'm one of those who prefers hardware for EQ, especially with Dirac, mainly as I use multiple laptops for audio source over USB, would need an ADC and mike anyway, laptops are Mac and Windows machines. I work software problems for a living (test automation for scientific instruments, mainly) and the last thing I need to do is toy with all the annoying stuff that can come up.

that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Mick13

the previous minidsp that was tested here had mitigate results,

here to sum up we have a dac+full dsp features which have good measurement ?

if yes, no choice, i'm forced to buy one :facepalm::D

Top Bottom