• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 16 2.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 117 20.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 435 76.0%

• Total voters

rcstevensonaz

from your reference:

Background​

In 1974, Professor Bob Fabry of the University of California, Berkeley, acquired a Unix source license from AT&T. Supported by funding from DARPA, the Computer Systems Research Group started to modify and improve AT&T Research Unix. They called this modified version "Berkeley Unix"
Excellent point! But... FreeBSD 2.0, which was released in November 1994, was the first version of FreeBSD without any code from AT&T. So I think this largely comes down to semantics (and lawyers).

However, even more interesting: it turns out that macOS has the licensed right to use the UNIX trademark (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix)
Systems that have been licensed to use the UNIX trademark include AIX,[35] EulerOS,[36] HP-UX,[37] Inspur K-UX,[38] IRIX,[39] macOS,[40] Solaris,[41] Tru64 UNIX (formerly "Digital UNIX", or OSF/1),[42] and z/OS.[43]

Strobilus

I recently bought a new Flex (DL) to replace a DDRC-24. To my surprise, when I tried to load a Dirac Live project file created by DDRC-24, I got an error "Could not restore a project - the file was created for a different device". The same version 3.9.7 of Dirac Live was used to configure DDRC. Both platforms have the same processor. Why would Dirac prevent Flex from loading DDRC's project?
Hi, Yeah these are treated as separate recording devices by the Dirac software and cannot use the same save files. I have a similar experience with a DDRC-24 and Flex, I think this is mentioned somewhere in this tread earlier.

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Excellent point! But... FreeBSD 2.0, which was released in November 1994, was the first version of FreeBSD without any code from AT&T. So I think this largely comes down to semantics (and lawyers).

However, even more interesting: it turns out that macOS has the licensed right to use the UNIX trademark (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix)
Exactly. Glad you got there eventually. :)

VeerK

Has anyone else experienced channel imbalance with the Flex? I have the flex digital and the right channel sometimes has its volume very low, despite no changes to my system. I have read some posts saying the power supply is inadequate, can anyone share a reasonable replacement?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone else experienced channel imbalance with the Flex? I have the flex digital and the right channel sometimes has its volume very low, despite no changes to my system. I have read some posts saying the power supply is inadequate, can anyone share a reasonable replacement?
That sounds pretty unlikely, since changing the volume on only one digital output is very unlikely to result from some sort of failure. (all the data in the stream has to be changed in a very specific and controlled way)

Much more likely a problem further down the audio chain.

greyscale

Forum Donor
I hope miniDSP can come to some agreement with Dirac in order to be able to purchase and utilize Dirac Bass Management and Bass Control in miniDSP Flex products soon.

Top Bottom