• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MiniDSP Flex HTx

Zapper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@bungle linked to a miniDSP app note showing how to set up multichannel surround with the Apple TV 4K and the miniDSP Flex HT/HTx. Apparently the Apple TV 4K can decode various surround formats to multichannel lpcm (although there is no indication in its spec sheet that it can do so). What other devices can do that? My circa 2020 Roku sticks and LG smart TVs cannot. There is no indication on their respective spec pages that the Chromecast or Firestick streamers can do it either. If other streaming devices or TVs do not decode to lpcm, it seems this product has limited applications.

dweeeeb2

XBOX Series X does, I have one and I believe the cheaper Series S should do it as well. PS5 should. If you have an older XBox one or PS4 it would be worth trying.

Hogh

My circa 2020 Roku sticks and LG smart TVs cannot
:( I hope you are wrong. I had plans to connect my ~2020 LG TV (OLED55C9) to an HTx. I currently have a SHD connected via toslink and the TV outputs PCM according to the audio settings menu. Works fine with inbuilt apps like Netflix/Disney/Plex. I would like the HTx to add a center and for the LFE channel. In the tv settings menu it seems possible to output PCM on eARC but I have no way of testing. Would it be wasting my money getting an HTx?

Zapper

I hope you are wrong
Could be!

I currently have a SHD connected via toslink and the TV outputs PCM according to the audio settings menu.
I can't get mine to output multichannel PCM, only stereo. One LG SM9000PUA is connected to a new Samsung HW-990C soundbar via eARC, the second SM9000PUA connects to an old Sony AVR via ARC. Both the soundbar and AVR switch to stereo mode when I set the sound to PCM in the TV menus. If I set them to "auto" or "passthrough" I get multichannel.
Would it be wasting my money getting an HTx?
It would if your TV acts the same as mine.

dweeeeb2

My LG CX only outputs stereo PCM when using on board Apps. FYI on my CX output set to PCM appears to be stereo only (regardless of source-XBOX SX). You need output set to passthrough to allow MC PCM through.

danstahl

Thanks. Does it just play media on the local network or can it also stream from services like Netflix?
I believe it can but not without much effort...I only use it for streaming Bluray rips from my NAS.

sarieri

Forum Donor
I’ve been testing this for the past few days. The HTX is bought by a friend of mine. The SINAD and DR is pretty much as specified by Minidsp. However, ESS hump is there. And more importantly, Minidsp seems to have screwed up Multitone again. It’s probably a bug that clips the input signal or something related to its ASRC. But either way, at far as I can tell, the firmware still needs some work.

dweeeeb2

I’ve been testing this for the past few days. The HTX is bought by a friend of mine. The SINAD and DR is pretty much as specified by Minidsp. However, ESS hump is there. And more importantly, Minidsp seems to have screwed up Multitone again. It’s probably a bug that clips the input signal or something related to its ASRC. But either way, at far as I can tell, the firmware still needs some work.
Sounds like we need a public review to help progress along

Toni Mas

Maybe i have misundertood but It seems that all the DSP is done at 48 kHz. As with my rpi i upsample everything at 192khz to my humble and cheapo Esi 8 channels dac, i have been seriously disapointed...:(

IamJF

There are very few DSPs processing 192kHz ... they all sample at lower rates.

dweeeeb2

Maybe i have misundertood but It seems that all the DSP is done at 48 kHz. As with my rpi i upsample everything at 192khz to my humble and cheapo Esi 8 channels dac, i have been seriously disapointed...:(
Is there an audible difference? or does it just give more DSP options?

sarieri

Forum Donor
I do not intend to provide a full detailed mesurements on HTX yet, but here is some measurements showing the 0dBFS Multitone issue.

The HTX is connected to Cosmos Scalar(at 0dB) then to Cosmos ADC(Grade 0 with thermalstat). The REW settings of Multitone is the following:
Multitone Setting in REW.PNG

Notice the crest factor is 13.3 dB so we have -1.09dBFS peak here which should not clip. All Output channel of HTX is configured at 0dB.
Here is the Multitone:
0dB Issue.jpg

If I toggle the output channel 2's gain to be -1dB, I get this (free of issue):
Output Channel.PNG
HTX Multitone.jpg

Now, if I further tweak all output channel's gain to be -1dB. The issue comes back exactly like before, so I don't need to show you any graph anymore.

Last edited:

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@sarieri those results are fascinating! Thank you for sharing!

Just to make sure I understand, these are your results.

Ch 1 = 0 dB, Ch 2 = 0 dB: elevated multitone noise floor
Ch 1 = 0 dB, Ch 2 = -1 dB: normal multitone noise floor
Ch 1 = -1 dB, Ch 2 = -1 dB: elevated multitone noise floor

So it seems that having the output channels at the same level is the issue rather than an absolute level issue.

Michael

sarieri

Forum Donor
@sarieri those results are fascinating! Thank you for sharing!

Just to make sure I understand, these are your results.

Ch 1 = 0 dB, Ch 2 = 0 dB: elevated multitone noise floor
Ch 1 = 0 dB, Ch 2 = -1 dB: normal multitone noise floor
Ch 1 = -1 dB, Ch 2 = -1 dB: elevated multitone noise floor

So it seems that having the output channels at the same level is the issue rather than an absolute level issue.

Michael
You are right. But it looks like when gains of all channels are changed to lower levels (say -20dB), Multitone is around 18bit. Better than the original elevated noise floor I showed here but still not as good as 21bit. I suspect something is wrong with their ASRC which causes a clipping

Pultzar

Hello @sarieri and other HTx owners! Would somebody mind doing a latency test to see how much delay is added with Analog -> DSP -> Analog? This would be without any crossovers, PEQ, Dirac, etc.

I know the 2x4 HD is around 3.2ms and I have heard the SHD is 25ms. I'd love to know how much delay is in the HTx before buying one, given the price and the lack of return policy.

sarieri

Forum Donor
Hello @sarieri and other HTx owners! Would somebody mind doing a latency test to see how much delay is added with Analog -> DSP -> Analog? This would be without any crossovers, PEQ, Dirac, etc.

I know the 2x4 HD is around 3.2ms and I have heard the SHD is 25ms. I'd love to know how much delay is in the HTx before buying one, given the price and the lack of return policy.
I‘m not an expert in this, but here is the measurement. I use Topping E2X2 as output and input. I connect output2 of E2X2 directly to input2, and output1 to HTX then to input1. So Output 2/Input2 is the reference timing here. Here is my REW setting:
setting.PNG

Here is the result when no EQ is applied:
no eq.PNG

Here is the result when all 10 EQs are applied:
10eq.PNG

Side note: The only reason I'm using a E2X2 here is because I do not want to solder any new cables anymore...

Top Bottom