• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MiniDSP Flex HTx

bungle

One question about HTx.

Does it allow you to connect distinct 8 analog stereo sources (unbalanced + balanced) and route each l/r to l/r ouput?

Or say external decoder with 7.1 channels to unbalanced analog inputs (routed to 7.1 outputs) and 4 balanced analog sources routed to l/r ouputs?

(just that you don’t play them at the same time to avoid different sources mixing together).

sarieri

Forum Donor
One question about HTx.

Does it allow you to connect distinct 8 analog stereo sources (unbalanced + balanced) and route each l/r to l/r ouput?

Or say external decoder with 7.1 channels to unbalanced analog inputs (routed to 7.1 outputs) and 4 balanced analog sources routed to l/r ouputs?

(just that you don’t play them at the same time to avoid different sources mixing together).
Yes. I think so.

bungle

I decided to end my endless search for AVP replacement, and went ordering HTx.

My goal is to:
1. connect turntable preamp to htx 1/2 RCA
2. connect reel-to-reel to htx 3/4 RCA
3. connect C-tape to htx 5/6 RCA
4. connect ust projector earc to htx hdmi
5. connect cd spdif (rca) to htx spdif
6. connect chromecast audio to htx toslink
7. connect apple tv to ust projector hdmi1
8. connect htx balanced outs 1/2/3 (r/l/lfe) to genelec 7070 sub (which will be doing bass management, the crossover and +10db on lfe - there is option to do bass management in htx, but for simplicity I will probably skip it as 7070 is doing fine there).
9. connect two genelec 8050 main speakers to 7070.
10. use dirac live on htx for room correction on this 2.1 system
11. control volume and select audio source on htx

I do have also FeinTech VAX04101 if I need more HDMI inputs (the ust has just 3, out of which one is going to htx). FeinTech switch has two eARC outputs, one to ust projector and one to minidsp + 3 hdmi to sources. I do have playstation as bluray, and some other HDMI sources (Chromecast, Classic Nintendo 64, TV digibox), but first I try to do this without, as I want to make this already complex system simple to use (perhaps I just end up removing stuff that I use rarely).

I have also thought about decoding. There is always option to buy Essense, Arvus, Nubert computer, or cheap avr with preouts if I end up needing to do bitstream decoding outside the sources (and htx has still 8 balanced inputs and usb left for that).

Last edited:

oddjob

Seeing as my Onkyo HDMI board has failed, I am looking at the HTx as an AVR replacement. I'm currently doing bass management with a 2x4HD and need seven additional channels for my 5.2.2 setup. The Onkyo was only being used as a pre with separate amps going to all speakers. I'm wondering if I can use 1 out on the HTx into the 2x4HD in order to keep the other 7 channel available for speakers. I already have the Arcana and Vertex to split sources and signals to projector and HTx. AppleTV should be able to decode ATMOS, etc. It's either this or the Anthem AVM 70 8K. I have a SHD as well that could be incorporated for extra channels possibly, just not sure.

Also, how would you use two of these for extra channels?

kadajawi

Hello,
New poster here, but a longtime time reader of the forum and Amir reviews..

Need clarification of the post cited above: . Does the Flex HT support lpcm in its HDMI input from a plain ( non earc) HDMI device? For example, receive and process up to 8 channels of lpcm from a external media player through hdmi, the like of dune, roku, Nvidia SHIELD, etc, even if the hdmi from those devices may not be earc?

Thanks
David
The Shield (at least 2019) does do eARC. And I think you will need eARC, so the TV that passes through the audio needs to have eARC.

Samsung does not decode to 7.1 PCM, neither will LG from what I know. I highly doubt any other TV will... it costs money and there is no benefit. All devices that do surround will also do bitstream decoding... except for the recently launched and very niche MiniDSP.

The Apple TV 4K does seamless decoding to 7.1 PCM, I believe it is the only device that does so. Yes, you can use a Fire TV 4K 3rd Gen or a Shield TV 2019 (both I have tested) and they will decode to 7.1 PCM, but only with Kodi (and perhaps with Plex). All other apps l won't do it. You can do Netflix etc. with Kodi for now, but it isn't that trivial to implement and it could be broken at any time. Also, on the Shield you may lose HDR or resolutions above 720p. The Fire TV was flawless. Big advantage of using Kodi for streaming is that it lets you chose the exact stream, bitrate and all. But again, on the Shield because of DRM there is no Full HD or HDR.

In the end... get the Apple TV 4K. Everything else will be a small nightmare and rather problematic.

oddjob

The Shield (at least 2019) does do eARC. And I think you will need eARC, so the TV that passes through the audio needs to have eARC.

Samsung does not decode to 7.1 PCM, neither will LG from what I know. I highly doubt any other TV will... it costs money and there is no benefit. All devices that do surround will also do bitstream decoding... except for the recently launched and very niche MiniDSP.

The Apple TV 4K does seamless decoding to 7.1 PCM, I believe it is the only device that does so. Yes, you can use a Fire TV 4K 3rd Gen or a Shield TV 2019 (both I have tested) and they will decode to 7.1 PCM, but only with Kodi (and perhaps with Plex). All other apps l won't do it. You can do Netflix etc. with Kodi for now, but it isn't that trivial to implement and it could be broken at any time. Also, on the Shield you may lose HDR or resolutions above 720p. The Fire TV was flawless. Big advantage of using Kodi for streaming is that it lets you chose the exact stream, bitrate and all. But again, on the Shield because of DRM there is no Full HD or HDR.

In the end... get the Apple TV 4K. Everything else will be a small nightmare and rather problematic.
For the 7.1 PCM, is it possible to have 5.2.1? I have height channels instead of additional sides

dweeeeb2

I decided to end my endless search for AVP replacement, and went ordering HTx.

My goal is to:
1. connect turntable preamp to htx 1/2 RCA
2. connect reel-to-reel to htx 3/4 RCA
3. connect C-tape to htx 5/6 RCA
4. connect ust projector earc to htx hdmi
5. connect cd spdif (rca) to htx spdif
6. connect chromecast audio to htx toslink
7. connect apple tv to ust projector hdmi1
8. connect htx balanced outs 1/2/3 (r/l/lfe) to genelec 7070 sub (which will be doing bass management, the crossover and +10db on lfe - there is option to do bass management in htx, but for simplicity I will probably skip it as 7070 is doing fine there).
9. connect two genelec 8050 main speakers to 7070.
10. use dirac live on htx for room correction on this 2.1 system
11. control volume and select audio source on htx

I do have also FeinTech VAX04101 if I need more HDMI inputs (the ust has just 3, out of which one is going to htx). FeinTech switch has two eARC outputs, one to ust projector and one to minidsp + 3 hdmi to sources. I do have playstation as bluray, and some other HDMI sources (Chromecast, Classic Nintendo 64, TV digibox), but first I try to do this without, as I want to make this already complex system simple to use (perhaps I just end up removing stuff that I use rarely).

I have also thought about decoding. There is always option to buy Essense, Arvus, Nubert computer, or cheap avr with preouts if I end up needing to do bitstream decoding outside the sources (and htx has still 8 balanced inputs and usb left for that).
It might pay to contact minidsp and ask if this setup is possible. Input select simply has “analogue” as an option, not analogue 1-2 etc.. There are 4 presets which could be used to direct inputs but then you wouldn’t have any left for different sound profiles. I think an email could be useful.

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For the 7.1 PCM, is it possible to have 5.2.1? I have height channels instead of additional sides
As long as you were able to decode the height channel information and send it to the Flex, but this is only possible, as far as I can see, if you were to use an AVR/AVP to decode the Atmos stream and connect the pre-outs to FlexHTx's analogue inputs.

kadajawi

I don't think you can tell the Apple TV to decode Atmos. At best it might attach the Atmos metadata to the LPCM stream, which won't help you all.

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't think you can tell the Apple TV to decode Atmos. At best it might attach the Atmos metadata to the LPCM stream, which won't help you all.
The Apple TV 4K cannot do that, I'm afraid. It will output 7.1 PCM when you play an Atmos soundtrack/track etc., if you turn Atmos off in the sound settings.

bungle

It might pay to contact minidsp and ask if this setup is possible. Input select simply has “analogue” as an option, not analogue 1-2 etc.. There are 4 presets which could be used to direct inputs but then you wouldn’t have any left for different sound profiles. I think an email could be useful.
I’ll figure it out. I actually prefer when it is ”just analogue”. Makes everything easier. If I listen any of analogue source, I just choose analogue (and not like some oddly named source for each). Of course this means that multiple analogue sources if played simultaneously, will be mixed together, but I take it as a feature. I hope it works like that.

Edit. this is from SHD, I hope similar stuff is on HTx: https://docs.minidsp.com/product-manuals/shd/signal-flow/signal-routing.html#basic-routing

Edit 2. Also I might use unused unbalanced channels (in 2.1 setup), this means that I need to move one of my 3 analogue sources to balanced in, but that is fine as well (though not need to do that eiher as one can be put to normal lr channel).

Last edited:

himey

this is only possible, as far as I can see, if you were to use an AVR/AVP to decode the Atmos stream
You can decode Atmos through software, and channel map the output channels using Matrix Mixer in Foobar2000, or the built-in DSP in JRiver.

dweeeeb2

I’ll figure it out. I actually prefer when it is ”just analogue”. Makes everything easier. If I listen any of analogue source, I just choose analogue (and not like some oddly named source for each). Of course this means that multiple analogue sources if played simultaneously, will be mixed together, but I take it as a feature. I hope it works like that.

Edit. this is from SHD, I hope similar stuff is on HTx: https://docs.minidsp.com/product-manuals/shd/signal-flow/signal-routing.html#basic-routing

Edit 2. Also I might use unused unbalanced channels (in 2.1 setup), this means that I need to move one of my 3 analogue sources to balanced in, but that is fine as well (though not need to do that eiher as one can be put to normal lr channel).
You can mix any analogue in to any analogue out. What I think you are wanting will work provided you only have one analogue source on at a time.

CCA2

Considering this in lieu of AVR for multiple sources: eARC from shield, digital stereo from streamer and analog stereo from turntable pre. When using the turntable, can it keep the analog signal analog or does it have to go a->d->a?

dadsnavE

@bungle | This is good advice. If you run into a dead end, check out the NEWEST Motu 828.

bungle

@bungle | This is good advice. If you run into a dead end, check out the NEWEST Motu 828.
I think analog is the least of my worries. I can probably connect turntable to balanced in 1/2, reel-to-reel to unbalanced 1/2 which map to l/r. Then I am only left with C-cassette. I think I can also solve it with passive manual switcher OR using 2 presets (music and movies).

CCA2

I asked mini DSP, and as I suspected, if I want to keep phono analog, I will need a separate volume controller: https://www.goldpt.com/sa1.html .

Thanks for your interest in our products.
Indeed, all our platforms are Digital Signal Processors(DSP) and will always need to convert to Digital to be able to do processing. :)
So to answer your question, yes, all analog input sources are always converted to Digital. Note however that the analog audio performance on the Flex HTx is really good. With audiophile performance, it would be hard to be able to hear any negative effect on the audio quality. If anything, DSP will always improve your experience as it's correcting issues in your room that no other DAC/Preamp/Analog processor could ever do. :)

Hoping this info helps and feel free to contact us if you have further questions.

Best Regards
miniDSP DevTeam

Last edited:
Top Bottom