• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marcos Mazur

For better sound performance, which is better? mini-pc or notebook?
Factors that I consider important are the grounding (of the notebook) and the low power consumption (of the mini-pc), which of the two is better to reduce interference that can cause pollution (and annoying noise degradation) in the USB and ground loop outputs on the general?
I understand that it depends on the product's brand and quality, but I bring this question in search of a more comprehensive answer.
At first I intend to use a mini-pc (12v) connected to a common line filter (but a real filter), with a Topping E30 DAC and an Allo Volt + D amplifier (both connected to the line filter).

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Unless you can hear it, it's not a problem.

MDAguy

Forum Donor
If I were a bettering man, I'd be willing to say no matter whether you're running a $500 PC, or a $65,000 MacPro... your audio will sound the same with regards to the computer part of your system.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
It's a nonsense question because the answer depends on the specifics of the model in question, not the form factor.

Katji

Major Contributor
Yeah, can't generalise it like that. Whether laptop/notebook/mini-pc, depends on design/build re PS and isolation.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Raspberry pi 4 if it's just a dedicated music streamer/player.

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Raspberry pi 4 if it's just a dedicated music streamer/player.
Wouldn't a Pi NanoW (or similar) with the smaller power draw, be better due to less power consumtion? (I know that pi 4 has a nano version)

Hair splitting but I'm bored waiting on OPs answer. :)

Just needed some interaction with people I like to talk to. Certified Corona Lunatic.

Reactions: GDK

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Rappberry Pi won't, I think, run JRiver or Dirac Live 3. Don't know whether it will do the Qobuz or Netflix desktop apps either.

Agreed. I implied from the OPs setup this was a dedicated desktop headphone setup. I'm not sure if the OP needs more functionality.

Top Bottom