• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Michael Fremer Leaving Stereophile?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I have only ever seen one pair but has anyone heard those weird balloon driver type speaker systems?

Basically there is I believe one voice coil in a vertical position, above it there are three different balloon style drivers with the woofer being the largest naturally. When the coil moves in and out of the magnet it pushes the balloon driver in/out for a full 360° displacement for omni-directional field spread. I don't know if they are supposed to be placed in the center of the room? Which would make sense to me given the operation.
I, too, am thinking MBL, FWIW. Never heard them. They're... ahh... not inexpensive.
EDIT: Sorry, this motif got taken care of while I was typing and editing.

Some items are missing. Must be tagging issues.
Very possible; I am far from expert at looking for such items (rather obviously) so any other suggested search strategies are welcome.

That said, there seems to be fodder for another thread with a topic on the order of whither multichannel hifi?

Then again, perhaps multichannel hifi (as opposed to home theater: i.e., That blowed up real good!) is as arcane and abstruse as vinyl in 2022 - and thus not truly utterly off-topic for this thread.

I tend towards the former rather than the latter notion, so I'll change course/wait on multichannel.

;)

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Very possible; I am far from expert at looking for such items (rather obviously) so any other suggested search strategies are welcome.
I am not expert either but I noticed 1-2 items missing and infer that they are not the only ones.
That said, there seems to be fodder for another thread with a topic on the order of whither multichannel hifi?
Why not?

DanielT

Major Contributor
I do not think of them as gimmicky and I have heard them to sound spectacular on many occasions albeit with selected content. Since they radiate omni-directionally, they
inevitably create lots of reflections and, imho, require great care in placement as well as with room acoustics. The demos that I have enjoyed have always been in rooms much wider than any of mine (over many years).

OTOH, I cannot say that I've ever been able to have a "critical" audition in my own home with my own sources and my own control of placement. I have also never heard them in a multichannel set-up which is most relevant for me. I once visited mbl in Berlin as well as at their factory and can attest to the care used in construction and testing but I am not intellectually convinced that an omnidirectional "point-source" is really the right goal for a domestic loudspeaker.

I agree ..... not on intellectual grounds, but experience. Jim

Regarding omis.Never?

Omis, not if you sit alone in the royal fixed listening position, the armchair, without others listening to take into account, with the opportunity to optimize the speaker placement. BUT... sometimes when you feel like lifting your ass out of the armchair and walking around the listening room, the apartment, the house at the same time as you listen to music?

Part of a home theater speaker solution?

When the whole apartment, the house is filled with people and everyone att that party will be listen to music?

Last edited:

John Atkinson

Industry Insider
Reviewer

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if any other companies have done it cheaper.
Some say Larsen Model 9 does a great job. Here a review of their least expensive one the 4.2 $2k. Search the web for more reviews on the model 6, 8, or 9 everyone seems to like them.

Newman

Major Contributor
"Gordon told me in 1999 that Stereophile must abandon its coverage of two-channel components and stereo recordings in favor of surround sound and multichannel recordings. My rejection of Gordon's proposal, among other conflicts, led to his resignation.
Abandon? That seems to have very unfortunately set up a false choice: EITHER multichannel OR two-channel coverage.

I wonder why on earth Holt thought it had to be that way.
I expect it was because his vision for Stereophile was that it focus on the very best in sound reproduction, for the elite who want the very best in sound waves. Not on giving the mob what they ask for, including magical thinking and advertorial promotion of makers of megabuck products that are borderline fraud.

Visionary meets accountant, accountant wins, disillusioned visionary departs.

A tale of the dollar.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I do not think of them as gimmicky and I have heard them to sound spectacular on many occasions albeit with selected content. Since they radiate omni-directionally, they
inevitably create lots of reflections and, imho, require great care in placement as well as with room acoustics. The demos that I have enjoyed have always been in rooms much wider than any of mine (over many years).

OTOH, I cannot say that I've ever been able to have a "critical" audition in my own home with my own sources and my own control of placement.

One of the most impressive MBL demos I had was at TAS writer Michael Gindi's place, who was an early MBL enthusiast. He had them in what I remember to be an absurdly small room, though treated. (I still have this impression of being in a closet with the MBLs). Nonetheless it was some of the most impressive, realistic sound I'd ever heard.

Newman

Major Contributor
On omnidirectional speakers….
I do not think of them as gimmicky and I have heard them to sound spectacular on many occasions albeit with selected content. Since they radiate omni-directionally, they inevitably create lots of reflections and, imho, require great care in placement as well as with room acoustics. The demos that I have enjoyed have always been in rooms much wider than any of mine (over many years).

OTOH, I cannot say that I've ever been able to have a "critical" audition in my own home with my own sources and my own control of placement. I have also never heard them in a multichannel set-up which is most relevant for me. I once visited mbl in Berlin as well as at their factory and can attest to the care used in construction and testing but I am not intellectually convinced that an omnidirectional "point-source" is really the right goal for a domestic loudspeaker.
…I recently, in another thread, summarised Toole’s thoughts, with some commentary of mine added, link (post #354).

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
"Gordon told me in 1999 that Stereophile must abandon its coverage of two-channel components and stereo recordings in favor of surround sound and multichannel recordings. My rejection of Gordon's proposal, among other conflicts, led to his resignation. Yes, it was possible that music in surround sound might eventually dominate audio. But it might not. For Stereophile to adopt Gordon's strategy would mean that it would be too much more than a little above its readers."

I expect it was because his vision for Stereophile was that it focus on the very best in sound reproduction, for the elite who want the very best in sound waves. Not on giving the mob what they ask for, including magical thinking and advertorial promotion of makers of megabuck products that are borderline fraud.
I have no wish to stir any pots here but I believe Mr Atkinson is exaggerating the true nature of Gordons request. For Gordon to insist that "Stereophile abandon it's coverage of two channel compnents and stereo recordings" to me seems a very unreasonable and even somewhat foolish demand. IME Gordon was never an unreasonable nor foolish man. I find it more likely John and Larry were looking for reasons to move the old man down the road since his sale of the mag, and this claim was one they knew would find a welcome reception with the readership who had a lot of love for the old man. Since John admits he personally is not a fan of multich it was a win-win-win result for him, Gordons gone and he was able to remove almost all multich content from the pages, at least until Kal came along with his pesky ITR column. LOL
Why was some sort of compromise not taken? Instead you guided the magazine to editoral position that is about 75% or more a support platform for analog and vinyl, a technology that is 50+ years obsolete. Since you fully understand and do the measurements there, you know I'm not stating opinion or preference, but simply the facts on the science of music reproduction. :(

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Instead you guided the magazine to editoral position that is about 75% or more a support platform for analog and vinyl, a technology that is 50+ years obsolete.
I'm not a subscriber, and the Website doesn't show me any ads. But when it comes to magazines, it's typically the case that advertisers pay the bulk of costs for running the operation. Subs cover postage. I know when Aczel was publishing, he only had a handful of advertisers, and first class postage was killing him. He couldn't get the reduced magazine rate, because his printing schedule was all over the place, disqualifying him from that discount.

I'd first look to see who is buying ads--both manufacturers and dealers. I suspect that will tell you who the magazine is published for.

I could have it totally wrong, but my guess is that if 75% of advertising revenue was coming from makers of surround gear and associated items..., if that was a huge source of the magazine's income, then you wouldn't see as much emphasis on records and record players.

Again, I'm not a subscriber, so as far as I know every other page could be an ad for a Yamaha or JVC surround receiver.

Fidji

'hip/hop/R&B nausea? Really? Talk about a broad brush.

(what is hip/hop, anyway?)
I am talking about specific sub-genre of hip-hop/R&B - "nausea inducing HH/R&B" - you can recognize it [usually] by having somebody with nom-de-guerre including Lil' and by "brought to you by Auto-tune" description. So in other words 90% of what Apple Music/Tidal will try to recommend you. Even when I tried to counter it with selecting only Scandivian Death Metal for 8 weeks in a row.

Really Spatial Audio - let's say 50 LP's, and unfortunately around 50% are just really bad transriptions from 2 channel. One I can recommend - new Tears for Fears album, and also Fleetwood Mac is acceptable.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I could have it totally wrong, but my guess is that if 75% of advertising revenue was coming from makers of surround gear and associated items..., if that was a huge source of the magazine's income, then you wouldn't see as much emphasis on records and record players.
Those lines aren't clear enough drawn to make any real conclusions from.
Speakers, streamers, even the snake-oil wire manufacturers, and the like serve all from Mono to Atmos equally.
Builders of AV gear from Anthem to Marantz are big advertisers.
The only really excluded group is the vinyl industry which IMO is a self-created industry..
Look at their editorial content of the first 115 pages, what have you got?
Analog Corner
Gramaphone Dreams
Revinylization
Not even a sideways mention of anything digital, let alone multich.
An unknowing reader could think this was published in 1963. :(

John Atkinson

Industry Insider
Reviewer
I have no wish to stir any pots here but I believe Mr Atkinson is exaggerating the true nature of Gordons request. For Gordon to insist that "Stereophile abandon it's coverage of two channel compnents and stereo recordings" to me seems a very unreasonable and even somewhat foolish demand. IME Gordon was never an unreasonable nor foolish man.
It appears that you didn’t know Gordon. He was determinedly single-minded and far from reasonable when he encountered others with views different from his own. He was sufficiently single-minded, for example, to abandon his flourishing career as the audio editor at High Fidelity magazine, eventually to launch Stereophile. Gordon was a gifted writer, an informed thinker, and a skilled listener, and I learned much from him. Even though he was an employee when I joined Stereophile in 1986 and I, having bought into the company that owned Stereophile, was his boss, Gordon and I had a productive working relationship for most of the next 13 years.

I find it more likely John and Larry were looking for reasons to move the old man down the road since his sale of the mag, and this claim was one they knew would find a welcome reception with the readership who had a lot of love for the old man.

Not at all. Gordon sold Stereophile to Larry Archibald at the end of 1981 and Gordon didn’t resign until July 1999 – see https://www.stereophile.com/news/10541 .

Since John admits he personally is not a fan of multich it was a win-win-win result for him, Gordons gone and he was able to remove almost all multich content from the pages, at least until Kal came along with his pesky ITR column. LOL Why was some sort of compromise not taken?

Yes, Gordon wrote some reviews of multichannel products for Stereophile, as did Tom Norton. But both writers contributed most of their multichannel coverage in the late 1990s to our sister magazine Stereophile Guide to Home Theater. (The Stereophile Guide was absorbed into Home Theater magazine in 2010 and Home Theater itself merged with Sound & Vision magazine in 2013. See https://www.stereophile.com/content/nonstick-embrace-home-theater )

In a pre-echo of the subject of this thread, after Gordon left Stereophile and Stereophile Guide to Home Theater, he was hired by The Absolute Sound to contribute a regular column on multichannel audio. However, he either resigned from TAS or was fired – I don’t remember which - not too long after.

With Gordon gone, there was a hole in Stereophile’s coverage, but not too serious a hole given the continuing coverage of multichannel audio in Stereophile Guide to Home Theater. Nevertheless, I gladly said “Yes” when Kal Rubinson proposed that he contribute his Music in the Round column to Stereophile. I was personally saddened by Kal’s decision to stop writing his column after the 100th edition. But as I said before, that happened after I stepped down as Stereophile editor.

John Atkinson
Technical Editor, Stereophile

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
John,
Let me remind our readers here of a few past comments.
I don't find any of these statements by Gordon "far from reasonable".
In fact they are perfect echos of the things we post here at ASR daily.

"We've lost our direction....The High End in 1992 is a multi-million-dollar business. But it's an empty triumph, because we haven't accomplished what we set out to do. The playback still doesn't sound 'just like the real thing.' People, let's start getting back to basics. Let's put the 're' back into 'reproduction.' Let's promote products that dare to sound as 'alive' and 'aggressive' as the music they are trying to reproduce."
JGH

Do you still feel the high-end audio industry has lost its way in the manner you described 15 years ago?
John Atkinson

"Not in the same manner; there's no hope now. Audio actually used to have a goal: perfect reproduction of the sound of real music performed in a real space. That was found difficult to achieve, and it was abandoned when most music lovers, who almost never heard anything except amplified music anyway, forgot what "the real thing" had sounded like. Today, "good" sound is whatever one likes. As Art Dudley so succinctly said [in his January 2004 "Listening," see "Letters," p.9], fidelity is irrelevant to music.

Since the only measure of sound quality is that the listener likes it, that has pretty well put an end to audio advancement
, because different people rarely agree about sound quality. Abandoning the acoustical-instrument standard, and the mindless acceptance of voodoo science, were not parts of my original vision."
JGH

Do you see any signs of future vitality in high-end audio?
John Atkinson

"Vitality? Don't make me laugh. Audio as a hobby is dying, largely by its own hand. As far as the real world is concerned, high-end audio lost its credibility during the 1980s, when it flatly refused to submit to the kind of basic honesty controls (double-blind testing, for example) that had legitimized every other serious scientific endeavor since Pascal. [This refusal] is a source of endless derisive amusement among rational people and of perpetual embarrassment for me, because I am associated by so many people with the mess my disciples made of spreading my gospel. "
JGH

Next John, a bit of your own postings,
"At the end of November, I had first-hand experience of this question. At the invitation of audio researcher James D. Johnston ("JJ" to denizens of the Internet newsgroups), (Our very own distinguished member here) I spent a very enjoyable morning at AT&T's Shannon Laboratory in New Jersey, listening to the surround recording/playback system JJ has been involved in developing (footnote 1). Using an array of seven directional microphones to sample the original live soundfield at one point in space gives a five-channel recording that, when played back with five speakers correctly positioned, does an astonishingly impressive job of superimposing that original space on the listening-room acoustic.
I found the experience equally convincing, whether the surround recording was of a string trio, an orchestra, a pipe organ, or a rock band playing live in what sounded like an aircraft hangar. In fact, it was even convincing without any music being played at all. The sounds of organ blower noise, audience coughs and rustles, AC noise—all the live clues that enable your brain to identify the space in which you find yourself and adapt your hearing accordingly—were sufficient to immerse me in the recorded acoustic. I also found the sweet spot more expansive than in a typical two-channel situation; in particular, as I moved away from the prime seat, the perceived acoustic perspective changed much as it would have done in real life. In addition, the sense of perceived space either side of me was better defined than I have experienced from conventional surround recordings.
I drove back to Brooklyn deep in thought. There was no doubt that I had experienced audio playback of considerably higher fidelity than I had ever experienced from a two-channel system."

Now rather than continue to drag out past remarks and comments I can only ask (as Gordon did so many years ago.)
Will Stereophile and the rest of the "high end media" ever drag their butts out of that ditch you drag those rocks through, and once again start addressing ways to actually improve the reproduction of music in the home?
That's why I got into this passion sometime around 60 years ago.

Last edited:

John Atkinson

Industry Insider
Reviewer
Will Stereophile and the rest of the "high end media" ever drag their butts out of that ditch you drag those rocks through, and once again start addressing ways to actually improve the reproduction of music in the home?

As I said, I don't speak for Stereophile, nor do I care about what 'the rest of 'high end media' do. But I would point out that the magazine has published many, many reviews of digital processors, streamers, disc players and disc transports. Two of the highest-profile reviewers, Kal Rubinson and Jason Victor Serinus don't use analog sources at all. And when I play LPs, I feed the output of my phono preamplifier to an Ayre QA-9 A/D processor operating at 24 bits and 192kHz, and send the digital data via an AES/EBU connection to my D/A processor. Make of that what you will.

John Atkinson

Newman

Major Contributor
@Sal1950 you may have taken a step too many in claiming that Stereophile actively ignored digital per se. They needed to review it enough to denigrate it! ;) Only kidding….or am I?

But claims of their over-enthusiastic embrace of vinyl as the epitome of high fidelity to the true sound of music, many decades after that time had passed, are spot-on.

And hand in hand with that, how many of Stereophile’s digital gear reviews over the years described their achievement in terms like ‘how analog-sounding’ they were? Far, far too many! As if sitting on the pedestal above all digital audio, are a bunch of LP players, representing the ultimate goal for digital to attain.

Enter Mr Fremer, stage left, rubbing hands in glee.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
But claims of their over-enthusiastic embrace of vinyl as the epitome of high fidelity to the true sound of music, many decades after that time had passed, are spot-on.
I mean -- all the cool guys know that tape is the sine qua non. ;)
DSC_4333.JPG

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
As I said, I don't speak for Stereophile, nor do I care about what 'the rest of 'high end media' do. But I would point out that the magazine has published many, many reviews of digital processors, streamers, disc players and disc transports. Two of the highest-profile reviewers, Kal Rubinson and Jason Victor Serinus don't use analog sources at all. And when I play LPs, I feed the output of my phono preamplifier to an Ayre QA-9 A/D processor operating at 24 bits and 192kHz, and send the digital data via an AES/EBU connection to my D/A processor. Make of that what you will.

John Atkinson
John,
Thanks so much for your continued participation in our little discussion here, it's been appreciated and fun.
Although I may not come off that way, after 35+ years of reading your pen's I've come to consider us friends,
irrelevant of our differences in opinion.
Take care of yourself and stay healthy, without your insight and measurements, Stereophile could be lost.
God Bless & cent' anni
Sal

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I mean -- all the cool guys know that tape is the sine qua non.
I think your capstan needs cleaning, it's all covered with brown tape oxide. :eek:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I think your capstan needs cleaning, it's all covered with brown tape oxide. :eek:
not my cap, Stan! :cool:
I'd have to sell a kidney or two to afford an A80 in good working order.
Mind you, it has crossed my mind...

;)

Top Bottom