• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Arghh - autotune

CapMan

Major Contributor
I wonder if this awful tool might be even more detrimental to musical enjoyment than the overuse of dynamic compression.

Once you’ve heard that synthetic, robotic twang on a singer’s voice there’s no going back. Even in moderation you can hear it - what’s the point of loosing the natural voice to some air brushed facsimile .

I had the Andrea Bocelli family Christmas album on (don’t judge me) and his son sounds like a Michael Buble clone.

I’m going to stick to old jazz LPs as I know the singers were actually singing unaided , the drummers could play good time and feel without a click track and the band could play together live with appropriate dynamics .

Rant over - happy Christmas

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The designer claims (and I have no reason to disbelieve him) that it was intended for minor tweaks after the fact to clean up a track that might otherwise have to be redone. Obviously, someone cranked the knob to 11, and here we are.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Must be doing something right, in that I have little interaction with autotune, but definitely don't care for it myself..

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a track or two that uses it, somewhat sparingly by modern standards. It's just OK.

levimax

Major Contributor
Just like heavy compression, autotune is now expected for pop music ... even people that can sing use it. I think most younger pop fans would find a dynamic non autotuned recording to sound strange and unfamiliar. Luckily good quality recorded music has been around for 70+ years so it is possible to find the recording style you prefer.

Barrelhouse Solly

I drive my granddaughters around and they get to control the radio. A good deal of the music they listen to has promiscuous use of auto-tune. It makes all the vocals sound like the same electronic device.

Liya

Always good to check the 'artists' using autotune if they can sing live.
Recent pop music is full of autotune.
Luckily, I can't hear any of this in my library.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
Always good to check the 'artists' using autotune if they can sing live.
Recent pop music is full of autotune.
Luckily, I can't hear any of this in my library.
They use autotune live. Unless your library only has older music, classical, and jazz your library is full of it. And Im not so sure about classical and jazz anymore.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone heard Cher’s Christmas single? Awful. Still at nearly 80 at least she has an excuse for not being able to sing.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone heard Cher’s Christmas single? Awful. Still at nearly 80 at least she has an excuse for not being able to sing.

Never been a Cher fan myself.....nor many pop singers for that matter.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I like autotune, when it is correctly applied!

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
It is possible there is some autotune in my stagnant CD collection.

When was it invented?

Maybe 1997.

Well, there's not much on the shelves from this century, so, maybe not.

ta240

Major Contributor
It's reminds me of Kenny G and his obsession to never render a bad note.
Whether someone thinks that is what music should be or not, could be argued forever; but working hard to attain what you perceive as perfection seems vastly different than processing everything through a program to try to keep it in tune.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
The designer claims (and I have no reason to disbelieve him) that it was intended for minor tweaks after the fact to clean up a track that might otherwise have to be redone. Obviously, someone cranked the knob to 11, and here we are.
Well... there was Cher.

That same Cher who now has the distinction of having had a hit record in each of seven decades.
I report, you decide.

Liya

They use autotune live. Unless your library only has older music, classical, and jazz your library is full of it. And Im not so sure about classical and jazz anymore.

Yes, you are right about them using autotune live. It is hopless.
Well, they are hopeless.
And 'older music, classical and jazz' is quite precise description of my music library.
Classical and jazz, I listen to, is almost exclusively instrumental, so no problem here and with my 'older music', I don't think they used autotune back then ;)

Top Bottom