• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Michael Fremer Leaving Stereophile?

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Just saw this about him joining Absolute Sound and apparently he has left Stereophile to spend more time with his family. Whatever. :rolleyes:

DSJR

Major Contributor
He comes across as so up-himself I'm stunned he has a family to be honest...

Hopefully Stereophile can continue with the more objective side and with less of the verbal diarrhoea which precedes the proper tests all too often... As for Absolute Sound, that subjectivist bollocks rag terrified the sh*ts out of me years ago, where two pages of prose says basically what a paragraph would do if properly written ;)

ChrisHeinonen

I worked with him once when I was in charge of the Turntables Guide at Wirecutter, and then I made it a practice to never work with him again. No one I talked to was ever more concerned with how they were going to be credited in an article and how often, and his misogynistic slurs towards Chris Connaker (https://www.analogplanet.com/content/show-newport-2015-wrap) among many other public spats made it easy to find other expert sources to talk to for guides. Hopefully Stereophile finds someone much better to replace him.

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
Wish him well, but I won't miss anything he contributed to Stereophile. He is the worst kind of audiophile.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Absolute Sound appears to be where Stereophile alumni go to become even more irrelevant. Robert Harley and Dick Olsher got there before Fremer. There must be something in the air or water (or UFOs) in New Mexico that makes audiophiles nutty. Oh, but not you @MakeMineVinyl. ;)

OP
MakeMineVinyl

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
The Absolute Sound appears to be where Stereophile alumni go to become even more irrelevant. Robert Harley and Dick Olsher got there before Fremer. There must be something in the air or water (or UFOs) in New Mexico that makes audiophiles nutty. Oh, but not you @MakeMineVinyl. ;)
Thank you for that. :D

steve59

Major Contributor
Is he the guy with the $250k speakers in a library type room full of albums? He appears to be very successful at any rate. My 2 dream jobs would be selling hifi or motorcycles. I'm happy for anybody that can make a living doing what they enjoy.

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
Is he the guy with the $250k speakers in a library type room full of albums? He appears to be very successful at any rate. My 2 dream jobs would be selling hifi or motorcycles. I'm happy for anybody that can make a living doing what they enjoy.
If memory serves, Fremer freely admits that he financed those loudspeakers..... I struggle to identify with financing loudspeakers (or any other ostensibly depreciating asset), but that's just me.

al2002

TTBOMK, ’reviewers ‘ usually don’t pay full price.

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My 2 dream jobs would be selling hifi or motorcycles.
I sold Hi-Fi for 9 years. 5 years of it straight commission. I was in the top 10%-15% of salespeople every month so I was doing well. You don't wanna do that...lol. It's stressful and one needs to be aggressive or they starve. I've seen many nice people come and go through the doors and many where broken people after. There's lotsa rejection to deal with. :D

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I got no problem with Michael's vinyl commentary and have found much of his set-up advice useful. Wish him the best.

I agree. One of the most memorable times I had listening to music was when Michael was spinning vinyl and playing needle drops in the Von Schweikert room at the 2019 Florida Audio Expo. He spins a good yarn.

Martin

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
He must have money if he lives in Manhatten and has a pair of Wilson Alexias (?) and all the other absurd "price-no-object" audiophile accoutrements. But, Jeez, is he ever a turd. And he follows the clueless, monied audiophile tradition of a closet sized room full of monolithic speakers, a floor completely strewn with a network of Anaconda-like cables, massive overfilled racks of equipment (turntables, tube amps, dacs, power conditioners, et al), and bookcase after bookcase of vinyl record albums.

Can't sound good, and the lack of Feng Shui in the listening room has to further disturb an already, obviously unquiet mind.

Top Bottom