• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements and Review of SOtM SMS-200 Network Player

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
You just turn them on and they work. You don't need to rummage around for bootimage, tool for making the SD card image, etc.

Personally I like my silent PC better because I run other software on it but if someone wants to get a remote solution, I would send them to a turnkey one.

The newer all-in-one Roon endpoint kits from various Pi HAT makers come with the boot image already made on an SD card, albeit for a markup.

You just have to snap the pieces together, slap in the SD card. A little harder than LEGO, much easier than building IKEA furniture.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Thanks for the responses, guys, I'll cogitate.

I debated about going to a mesh network but I have a lot invested in my current wireless system and a mesh actually degrades network performance (more overhead). Yes, less than signal dropouts! But still... I have a 1900ARC router, switch, cable modem, range extender, several media bridges, a few powerline units, high-gain antennae on the router and range extender, bunch of local network adapters for the PCs in our house (seven!), etc. Our floorplan is open and the media room is below the kitchen where there are very few places to put the range extender. I also have another media bridge to a backup drive stack on the other side of the basement and I cannot move either that or the media room. That said I may try moving the extender across the kitchen, again. I did move it around quite a bit when I first got it, several years ago, but left it where it seemed to provide the best compromise of performance and location at the time (kitchen is wife's domain). Having the wife unplug it to plug in a mixer to make a cake can be frustrating...

The only streaming I do is with SONOS from my NAS. I kept adding things to the network (including those pricey high-gain antennae), moving this and that, and so forth hoping for a solution. I have not tried phone apps but do have Linksys' own and a couple of other signal monitoring apps on my notebook so I have tweaked component placement and antenna orientations to optimize the signal (I have been fighting this for about 7-8 years now). I should just bring home a spectrum analyzer from work but am leery of signing the chit for a $250k piece of equipment for the weekend... I go in bursts or little impulse functions of working on it: live with it a while, get a few days to sit and actually enjoy some music instead of watching TV or movies, have a glitch in the datastream so waste a few hours trying this and that, before giving up in frustration and deciding that Beverly Hillbilly's reruns really ain't so bad after all.

We also had to pick up a cell booster for our home since we are in a dead zone (near the top of a ridge but apparently out of line-of-sight for Verizon). It also has to live in the upstairs office, connected to the router. Coverage to the first floor is "OK" but again a little spotty to the basement, but better than without it.

Probably be better if I could move the whole router/switch/NAS/cell booster to the first floor but I don't have a good place for it. Tempted to clear out the hall closet and stick the mess in there, but it'd probably cook itself, and I'd have to plumb cable in there somehow.

The good news is we know it would be hard for a hacker to snoop our network. :) Maybe... With my luck, that upstairs router is blasting all over and providing great coverage for all the neighborhood except my media room.

Sorry for all the whining and thread divergence, just venting and not feeling well yet (bad cold), and really thinking the right answer for this is a local drive and interface, maybe a little dedicated server. But, my new LG TV and Oppo both have network connectivity, so the demands seem to be going up, not down, in my little room.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't used this enough really. But it could be useful. Windows laptop or Macbook. Load this software and it lets you make a wifi heatmap of your house. Plus its free to download and use.

https://www.netspotapp.com/

Now it really sounds to me like maybe one of those powerline networking rigs to feed a spare router setup as an AP in the media room may be about where you are at.

I feel you on the cellphone booster. Had to get one at my house too. It does work rather nicely. I go from calls only and they usually drop to having no problem with calls and pretty good data speed over the phone.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
That app looks interesting, need to try it out. I did a small survey years ago and it showed what I already knew, big notch right at the media room, worst spot in the house for wifi. :( I did consider hooking a local wireless router to the powerline adapter in my son's room, or even drilling through his wall and into my media room (floating walls) for a cable, but stopped before I got crazy with the drill (though an 18" or 24" wall bit is fun to wave around).

The cell booster solved dropouts on the first floor (one level down from my office) and helped a little in the basement so I'm happy. Weird how we managed to plant the house in a hole, though, as there is great coverage all around and we are higher than town. As cells have gotten more directive to save power and improve coverage we aren't benefitting by height since we are about 500' above the town and the towers are directing the signal more at the town and highway, leaving us uncovered. Our backup generator uses a cell link to report status, which is great when it works, but oftentimes a wide outage takes out the cable and thus our cell coverage as well so I don't know the generator is running until I get home.

Don Hills

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks for the responses, guys, I'll cogitate.

I debated about going to a mesh network but I have a lot invested in my current wireless system and a mesh actually degrades network performance (more overhead). ...

I believe the Google mesh, at least, doesn't use the same channels as the connecting devices so it avoids the performance issue. It also ticks your "no hassle" box, setup and management is with a smartphone app. Scan the QR code on each device and it's all done for you.

Mivera

Major Contributor

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I believe the Google mesh, at least, doesn't use the same channels as the connecting devices so it avoids the performance issue. It also ticks your "no hassle" box, setup and management is with a smartphone app. Scan the QR code on each device and it's all done for you.

The performance hit is due to the overhead to manage the mesh, not an innate bandwidth issue. Essentially the individual nodes must communicate to maintain the mesh and pass traffic through it. It adds a bit of packet delay. I read up on it a while back but am no network guru. I do not know if Google's implementation bypasses even that slight hit. And I strongly suspect it is a non-issue in the real world, especially when I am not really pushing network BW. The biggest issue for me was cost of buying more equipment plus the hassle (even if slight) of setting it up. That said Google's solution and a couple of others are among those I will look into when I have more time to get back to this.

Occamsrazor

While there is still some mains contributions, the MeanWell is the best of the switchmode power supplies here! It has a grounded AC mains connection which allows the output high frequency shunt to go to that pin, rather than to hot/neutral. That reduces the amount of mains leakage contribution. And for $12, it is a bargain compared to the iFi.

Hi, if you still have the Meanwell, can you tell me what the model number is? I'm searching on the net but they make like 1million different power supplies.... Thanks.

Occamsrazor

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Occamsrazor

That's correct except mine did not come with M&M'S!!!

But aren't the M&Ms what are absorbing all that nasty RFI? :)

Darwin

It’s time I got Roon core off my Mac and on an Intel NUC. Or my Synology NAS but that seems like a lot of tweaking. Easiest of all would be a sonictransporter. Any thought in these options?
I no longer need a endpoint to my Kef speakers since Roon made the speakers an endpoint :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you've no other option then that's nice. But I've shipped more than 20 of the J3455 based NUC's and they are 100% silent. You can not tell they are running other than the power light.

Darwin

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why if no other option. It’s ready to go out of the box and supported by the manufacturer.
A NUC and Roon core looks pretty easy but it’s not out of the box or a supported.
https://www.audiostream.com/content...ter-tale-two-mini-computers-running-roon-core

1. It's Micheal Lavorgna. The guy that can hear the difference in everything including Ethernet Cables. But you can't actually get him to prove this ability.

2. It's Micheal Lavorgna, the guy that makes stuff up

3. It's Micheal Lavorgna, supposed IT/Network guy, that couldn't subnet an IP4 address if you put a gun to his amp.

ROON core on the NUC is straight forward.

Both are good options. This is something I can do in my sleep on a NUC.

Darwin

The question was why did you say if no other option. Now you say they are both good options. Yes they are.
Doing it on a NUC is easy for some of us. Not everyone wants to do that.
The Sonictransporter is out of the box and supported for people who want that.
As to the article what is wrong with the article specifically. He doesn’t really advocate for one or the other but describes the differences and considerations pretty well.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
As to the article what is wrong with the article specifically. He doesn’t really advocate for one or the other but describes the differences and considerations pretty well.
Well, he does go on to say:

upload_2017-12-23_14-8-56.png

That is most likely his bias and can't be demonstrated to be true in controlled testing.

Darwin

That's a pretty mild statement on his part and I've seen lots of testing where it is apparent the tester fudged the method or numbers to reach the desired conclusion.
We are all biased in some way.
I'm really talking about the day to day practicalities of one solution over another based on what people have experienced.
I've read a lot about the Intel Nuc option, Sonic transporter or using my Synology 916+ NAS. The NAS option would make good use of something I have but I've been reading the Roon forums on it for awhile and it looks like a hassle to deal with plus I wonder about running Roon core with four 4 TB spinning disks.
Right now I'm most likely to do the Sonic transporter option buying it diskless and sticking an SSD in there.
A lot of people in the Roon and other forums are complaining about fan noise with the Intel Nuc's. I would put this by my home theater gear and want it to be as silent as possible.

Top Bottom