• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Matrix Audio Element i USB DAC & Streamer Review

naish

Thanks for your reply. But if you don’t care about Bluetooth and a balanced headphon output then the Element i is the better choice.
I’ll use it as a pre amp.

firedog

Thanks for your reply. But if you don’t care about Bluetooth and a balanced headphon output then the Element i is the better choice.
I’ll use it as a pre amp.
I have one. It works fine as a preamp.

Rjharle

I apologize if this is a dumb question but being new to DACs and digital audio I find myself having to ask it. Based upon your review I'm looking to purchase the Matrix Audio Element I. The questions are:
1) There is a II2S - LVDS input port and the manual says it uses a standard HDMI Type A cable.
Does this mean it will work with any HDMI output?
2) Will the Element I work with other apps beside the ones that are preloaded in the unit.
For example Kodi, Plex and other file management Apps?

MatrixAudio

Audio Company
I apologize if this is a dumb question but being new to DACs and digital audio I find myself having to ask it. Based upon your review I'm looking to purchase the Matrix Audio Element I. The questions are:
1) There is a II2S - LVDS input port and the manual says it uses a standard HDMI Type A cable.
Does this mean it will work with any HDMI output?
2) Will the Element I work with other apps beside the ones that are preloaded in the unit.
Hi,
No, the IIS-LVDS is a dedicated digital audio port, not a standard HDMI port. It cannot connect to the HDMI output of a TV or set-top box.
No, the element i only works with MA Remote by Matrix.

firedog

Depends what you mean. If you mean installing other programs on the internal streamer - no it won't.
But for streaming audio it will work with Roon, or with audio software like LMS that can use DLNA protocols.

Rjharle

Hi,
No, the IIS-LVDS is a dedicated digital audio port, not a standard HDMI port. It cannot connect to the HDMI output of a TV or set-top box.
No, the element i only works with MA Remote by Matrix.
Could you tell me what the II2S would connect to and what is it for?

Rjharle

Depends what you mean. If you mean installing other programs on the internal streamer - no it won't.
But for streaming audio it will work with Roon, or with audio software like LMS that can use DLNA protocols.
Kodi is a app that organizes the files and ques them to play. It is not a remote app.

Last edited:

firedog

Kodi is a app that organizes the files and ques them to play. It is not a remote app.
The ones I mentioned are also file management apps. The difference is they are installed externally to the Matrix. I was answering for the benefit of anyone who might read the responses, just so they'd understand that you can use playback software that isn't installed on the Matrix itself, and you aren't limited to using their app. That's the point of having DLNA function pre-installed in the Matrix. To use the Matrix app or any other app you also need to install it externally. In practice, it's the same type of experience for the user.

Last edited:

Rjharle

The ones I mentioned are also file management apps. The difference is they are installed externally to the Matrix. I was answering for the benefit of anyone who might read the responses, just so they'd understand that you can use playback software that isn't installed on the Matrix itself, and you aren't limited to using their app. To use the Matrix app you also need to install it externally. In practice, it's the same type of experience for the user.
I just got this email from Matrix support.

"I was not claiming Kodi or Plex to be remote Apps. I am very familiar with both of them. The mentioning of the MA Remote App is because, at this time, all outside app functionality (such as Tidal/Qobuz) runs through the MA Remote App. Tidal and Qobuz are not remote apps either.

The Matrix Element I does not handle video files and has no video output on this device so it's unclear how you would use Plex or Kodi just from this device. It does have an "HDMI" port on the digital inputs section, but that is referred to as an IIS or "I squared S" which is a digital audio format that uses hdmi cables but will not support traditional HDMI audio in. Even as audio only it does not support either of those programs at this time.

I mentioned the device having an update to add support, but realistically that is very unlikely.

The best way to use Plex or Kodi with the Element I would be to get a separate Plex/Kodi supported device and run the audio output from that device to the Element I."

Thank You,

Moon Audio Support

It appears I either use the apps installed on the unit or get a device that supports Kodi, Plex and plug it into the Element I. I have the Nividia Shield TV Pro which only has a HDMI output. Would it work in the I2s ?

Last edited:

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just got this email from Matrix support.

"I was not claiming Kodi or Plex to be remote Apps. I am very familiar with both of them. The mentioning of the MA Remote App is because, at this time, all outside app functionality (such as Tidal/Qobuz) runs through the MA Remote App. Tidal and Qobuz are not remote apps either.

The Matrix Element I does not handle video files and has no video output on this device so it's unclear how you would use Plex or Kodi just from this device. It does have an "HDMI" port on the digital inputs section, but that is referred to as an IIS or "I squared S" which is a digital audio format that uses hdmi cables but will not support traditional HDMI audio in. Even as audio only it does not support either of those programs at this time.

I mentioned the device having an update to add support, but realistically that is very unlikely.

The best way to use Plex or Kodi with the Element I would be to get a separate Plex/Kodi supported device and run the audio output from that device to the Element I."

Thank You,

Moon Audio Support

It appears I either use the apps installed on the unit or get a device that supports Kodi, Plex and plug it into the Element I. I have the Nividia Shield TV Pro which only has a HDMI output. Would it work in the I2s ?
NO

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Screenshot_20220413-181738.png
FQOrPm9XMAQNbx5.jpeg

Rjharle

I took me a while to get the adaptor, but it is here and this is the results.
This audio extractor: $60.00

Extracts the audio from the HDMI out cable on the Nvidia Shield Pro and feeds it to three ports optical, coaxial, I2s. The HDMI cable works fine connecting the I2s output to the Element I. The extractor I2s output works on any of the Element I settings A, B, C, D.

I can now use any app with the Nvidia to manage the audio files with a handheld remote control. (don't have to buy a cellphone). Set the Nvidia audio to "Pass Through" and I get no change in Res/bit from file to the Element I. The Nvidia still works fine when streaming video/audio to the TV.

One question; since there are three output ports on the extractor which one would give me the best results optical, coaxial or I2s ?

Serge P

Hi, Matrix. What is the latest version of the application compatible with Android 6? I think the Matrix Element I is the best solution under $1000 budget. The main purpose is to play audio via TOSLINK from my cd player and files from the external HDD connected via usb. Do I need this App at all to play files from the HDD?

ps: I won't be using the networking features of this DAC at all (I only listen to podcasts from the DiFm site, but I don't think this DAC is compatible with DiFm streaming in any way. But if needed I can stream audio via BT to my Fiio receiver and connect Matrix to the Fiio via TOSLINK). I would be glad to find a solution cheaper than a Matrix Element I with external HDD support and the same sound quality, but it seems that there is nothing in the market in my budget

MatrixAudio

Audio Company
Hi, Matrix. What is the latest version of the application compatible with Android 6? I think the Matrix Element I is the best solution under $1000 budget. The main purpose is to play audio via TOSLINK from my cd player and files from the external HDD connected via usb. Do I need this App at all to play files from the HDD?

ps: I won't be using the networking features of this DAC at all (I only listen to podcasts from the DiFm site, but I don't think this DAC is compatible with DiFm streaming in any way. But if needed I can stream audio via BT to my Fiio receiver and connect Matrix to the Fiio via TOSLINK). I would be glad to find a solution cheaper than a Matrix Element I with external HDD support and the same sound quality, but it seems that there is nothing in the market in my budget
Hi Serge,
Unfirtunately, the MA Remote app does not support OS under Android 8.0.
Yes the element i supports toslink input and playback music files from an external HDD. The music files would be transfered through the USB connection, but you still need to connect the element i to your network, so that you can browse the contents in the HDD and control the playback through the app.

Serge P

Hi Serge,
Unfirtunately, the MA Remote app does not support OS under Android 8.0.
Yes the element i supports toslink input and playback music files from an external HDD. The music files would be transfered through the USB connection, but you still need to connect the element i to your network, so that you can browse the contents in the HDD and control the playback through the app.
Thanks for the answer! It is a sad that this DAC cannot be used standalone with a hard drive and without App

RobStar

Hi all, looks like I'm late to the party here but just scored an Element I on ebay for $250 US.

In set up and using Apple Music, how do I get it to receive High Res?

It's currently streaming at 44.1 - wlan (according to screen on Element I)

Apple app is set to high res 24 bit/192 khz

Thanks in advance.

bbgma1234

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Matrix Audio Element i USB DAC and Ethernet/Wifi wireless streamer. It was kindly sent to me by the company and costs US $990.

The Element i embodies the beautiful design language of other (newer) Matrix Audio products:

The menus and settings are controlled using two buttons and rotary encoder. There is a headphone out but I did not get a chance to test it yet. Will do as a follow up (edit: now added to the review).

The back panel shows the usual suspects:

Unlike other Matrix Audio products I have tested, the Element i uses an external switching adapter. It is about twice the size of a phone charger.

Both wired Ethernet and Wifi are there as is my favorite, Roon player streaming protocol. Roon however complains that the implementation is not certified. I had no trouble using it but I encourage Matrix Audio to get the certification.

For my testing I focused on USB Input and XLR balanced line outputs. I had previous tested the Element i as part of my review of EtherRegen switch.

DAC Audio Measurements
As noted, here is our dashboard using USB input and XLR output:
View attachment 42389

Output voltage is 4 volts which is the nominal value I like to see. Distortion is down below -120 dB which makes it absolutely inaudible. SINAD is lower because it also adds noise to the distortion. Performance is quite respectable in this regard landing squarely in the middle of our top quadrant of all DACs tested:
View attachment 42390

Dynamic range is exceptional:
View attachment 42391

32-tone signal resembling "music" shows superbly low distortion products:
View attachment 42392

There are three different levels of jitter reduction in Element i:
View attachment 42393

Default is "Normal" which allows a tiny bit of low frequency jitter (in blue). It is utterly inaudible but setting it to LOW gets rid of that. Likely not an issue with USB bus but if you use other serial digital inputs, low setting may not allow the unit to lock on incoming data. Or take too long to latch onto its sample rate. For this reason, there is the other extreme which is "HIGH." Note that Low/high here refers to bandwidth the PLL (phase locked loop). The higher the bandwith, the better/faster the ability of the unit to lock on input. But it also allows more jitter in.

There is also a global setting for "Jitter Eliminator" which I assume is the asynchronous sample rate converter in ESS DACs:
View attachment 42394

I suggest leaving it on.

IMD vs level shows very low level of noise and distortion:
View attachment 42400

Thd+N (distortion+noise) across frequency range and much wider bandwidth than the dashboard shows one clean implementation:
View attachment 42395

There is almost no rise with frequency which is a hallmark of an excellent implementation.

EDIT: missed linearity test in the original review:
View attachment 42482

It doesn't get better than this. Likely would be good another 10 dB lower.

Thermal Stability
Prior to performing the above test and while the unit had just powered on, I measured THD+N across 10+ minutes:
View attachment 42396

As you see, there is no temperature dependent effect. Performance is rock solid from start to finish. So no need to leave the unit on, or worrying that as it gets warmer, performance gets worse or better.

Headphone Amplifier Audio Measurements
Let's start with power into 300 ohms:
View attachment 42488

I like to see 100 milliwatts into this load. Element i sails past this delivering 247 milliwatts. This should enable it to drive just about any high impedance headphone.

Noise is initially higher than reference Topping DX3 Pro due to lack of low gain setting. As demands of power increases, the Element i has lower distortion than Topping DX3 Pro and as a result, beats it on both power and distortion.

Going the other extreme with 33 ohm load we get:
View attachment 42489

A secondary source of distortion kicks in keeping the Element i from beating DX3 Pro on distortion. But it does sail past it with higher output power.

I don't usually compare DAC+headphone amp combos with headphone amp-only devices but for sake of argument, I did just that:
View attachment 42490

Given the fact that the DAC in Element i has SINAD of 113 dB, it can't do much better than this. So likely the amp would rate around 113 dB SINAD so pretty close to state of the art.

Output impedance is very low (good):
View attachment 42491

Headphone Listening Tests
I will make this brief: performance with both Mrspeaker's Ether CX and Sennheiser HD-650 was excellent. Lots of power, lots of dynamics, great bass, etc.

Conclusions
With some companies DNA of good engineering runs in their blood and such is the case with Matrix Audio. Every aspect of the Element i oozes with quality from the case work to measured performance and thermal stability. If you need a streamer and want to be done with it, the Element i is it.

It is my pleasure to strongly recommend the Matrix Audio Element i DAC and Streamer.

--------
As always, questions, comments, corrections, etc. are welcome.

It has been raining nonstop outside. The panthers are complaining about it being too wet to go out and do their business. They are demanding a covered area for that. I am not going to give them that but just in case they corner me, I like the funds ready to do so. So please donate using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
Hi Armirm,
I figured after studying around 50 of your excellent measurement assessments I better join!
I can't thank you enough for the time you put into this, and also really enjoyed the YT playlist- it's cool putting the thoughtful personality together with the data.
Curious if you see any logical reason someone couldn't use this as a DAC hub for studio reference work?
It seems more than capable for bringing in digital, usb-digital off the studio PC, using the HP amp as ribbon headphone reference, and the XLR-balanced outs patched directly to stereo power amps (or a digital preamp if I need extra routing).
My personal experience in the area is that jitter must be extremely low to produce this level of performance, which also suggests their knowledge on using its own internal clock has to be good in addition to the analog.
Thoughts?
Thanks so much again for this awesome resource. My schedule, however, does NOT thank you!

Top Bottom