• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mathaudio Room EQ users (tips & tricks)

OP
Snarfie

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you look at my curve, it looks quite good, or even very good ;-)
Most important question how does it sound are you happy with the result do you notice a difference when using the bypass knob. ?

Steen5

Snarfie: I have been through dozens of hi-fi systems, some also high-end over the last more than 50 years, and happy with the sound most of the time. Now, my room is small, but dedicated to music listening, so quite comprehensive room treatments has been done, absorbers and diffusers. In my entire hi-fi hobby I have strived for better resolution and neutrality. A couple of years ago I started to use DSP, and don't look back! Most important result is the much better resolution and neutrality in the low end, and I'm convinced that those who disregard DSP, and even acoustic room treatment also, and claim they have high-end sound have not heard high-end sound with acoustic instruments. The difference is huge. So, yes, I'm very happy with the sound. However, as always, can it be better I try to go for it. And I thought, that DSP above 400Hz would probably not be optimum, so I raised the objective to avoid that here, but without loosing neutrality.

Chr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My current RoomEQ settings...
Same subwoofers used for both Tannoy V12s and Neumann KH310s. Opted to EQ full range on the Tannoys and just the lower frequencies on the Neumanns.
Quite strange looking I guess, but I have loads of headroom, so works pretty well. Waiting for the delivery of some panels for room-treatment, so I will be remeasuring and re-running RoomEQ soon.

MathAudioV12s.jpg
RoomEQNeumannKH310s.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Snarfie

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Snarfie: I have been through dozens of hi-fi systems, some also high-end over the last more than 50 years, and happy with the sound most of the time. Now, my room is small, but dedicated to music listening, so quite comprehensive room treatments has been done, absorbers and diffusers. In my entire hi-fi hobby I have strived for better resolution and neutrality. A couple of years ago I started to use DSP, and don't look back! Most important result is the much better resolution and neutrality in the low end, and I'm convinced that those who disregard DSP, and even acoustic room treatment also, and claim they have high-end sound have not heard high-end sound with acoustic instruments. The difference is huge. So, yes, I'm very happy with the sound. However, as always, can it be better I try to go for it. And I thought, that DSP above 400Hz would probably not be optimum, so I raised the objective to avoid that here, but without loosing neutrality.
Thats the spirit i'm 64 so probably same sort of age:facepalm:.

I discovers DSP around 6 a 7 years ago specific Mathaudio room EQ as to test room correction an probably buy a better solution in the future ha ha never looked back again
My best investment ever in audio is buying at the time a 38,- euro measuring mic. I can asure you the money that i spend over time on audio you could buy a decent new middle class care for.

After my first measurment i put on Abbey Road i was shocked for the first time i head so clear the thight bass of McCartney. Besides that i did not hear the music only i heard the band interacting with each other total silence between voices and instruments an intimate experience. Basicly i did listen in to the recording for the first time after 55 years.

Last edited:

Chr1

Forum Donor
Watch out for »Room EQ gain«, too. The dot with it should be green instead of red :)
Thanks. What does the colour of the dot indicate?

Golf

Thanks. What does the colour of the dot indicate?

Red means, that the system has registered some »clipping« while playing a tune. Mouse-click on the red dot will make it green and reduces the gain value accordingly :cool:

Chr1

Forum Donor
Nice one, thanks.

Also, please could you let me know how you found out about this? I am wondering if there is some documentation that I am unaware of.
Cheers.

Chr1

Forum Donor
Thanks again.

Doh. Not sure how I missed that tbh...

Incidentally, do you know if it is best to keep the Foobar2000 volume control maxed out, and let RoomEQ set the volume via this clipping indicator? I am presuming so.
Cheers.

Golf

Doh. Not sure how I missed that tbh...

Understandable. Was the same with me, too :facepalm:

Maybe chapter 14 could be quite fancy to you, too. It deals with channel-based editing via mouse.

See this example where I mouse-tuned the left channel reference line only:

1709036037570.png

ArturoKiwi

Ok,let's follow the right way now.
First read this:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s-your-favorite-house-curve.2382/post-1476897

Second,any line above the measured response (the one with the hills and the valleys) does not amplify anything,it just leave it as is.

A nice correction is what @HDavidson proposes as I did earlier,that will correct lows and leave the rest as is.

Again,there's no amplification in Mathaudio,all it does is reducing,any line above the measurement simply does nothing.
Hello Sokel, I just discovered MathAudio so I'm really a noobie.
In my system I use BruteFir inside Daphile with a Wav file that I generated with Rew following that thread instruction.
I would like to try MathAudio RoomEq, but it is possible to import the wav file that I create with Rew?
Thanks

boxerfan88

MathAudio doesn’t support externally generated WAV impulse file. U need to use MathAudio to sweep/measure.

ArturoKiwi

Top Bottom