• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Master "deals" (massdrop, ebay, Amazon, etc.) Thread on Audio Product Sales

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Drop(Massdrop) has the Topping DX3Pro for $180 which seems to be the cheapest I've seen for a a new unit from an authorized domestic seller: referral link

You can also use this link which is stripped of my referral info: https://drop.com/buy/topping-dx3-version-2-dac-amp/details

Given the QA issues with the earlier generation, I've been waiting for a good price from a domestic source.
Thanks but Amir didn't test that V2 and the headphones out is different IIRC (and impedance higher maybe?).

sychan

Forum Donor
Thanks but Amir didn't test that V2 and the headphones out is different IIRC (and impedance higher maybe?).

The output impedance for v2 is 10Ω instead of 1Ω. It has the same DAC chip, so unless Topping became incompetent at their core competency (DACs) its probably safe to say that the DAC performance remains free of the hump, and performs at the high level that the AK4493 always seem to show. The change in output impedance seems related to the replacement of the OPA1612 with the TPA6120A2 - since that chip specs 10Ω output impedance. Topping uses the TPA6120A2 on their DX7s, which tested well a year and a half ago (better than the DX3pro in some regards). Topping seems to know what they are doing with the TPA6120A2 so it seems to be conservative design choice - unlikely that the performance is going to be shabby.

Still, its only a guess.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The output impedance for v2 is 10Ω instead of 1Ω. It has the same DAC chip, so unless Topping became incompetent at their core competency (DACs) its probably safe to say that the DAC performance remains free of the hump, and performs at the high level that the AK4493 always seem to show. The change in output impedance seems related to the replacement of the OPA1612 with the TPA6120A2 - since that chip specs 10Ω output impedance. Topping uses the TPA6120A2 on their DX7s, which tested well a year and a half ago (better than the DX3pro in some regards). Topping seems to know what they are doing with the TPA6120A2 so it seems to be conservative design choice - unlikely that the performance is going to be shabby.

Still, its only a guess.

Thanks. Even if you're right, headphones with impedance lower than 80 ohm might have their frequency response changed then.

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Still, its only a guess.

It is quite a disappointment that the headphone output impedance was changed to 10 ohm. The headphone output of DX7s is always its weakest point (along with the ESS hump).

sychan

Forum Donor
It is quite a disappointment that the headphone output impedance was changed to 10 ohm. The headphone output of DX7s is always its weakest point (along with the ESS hump).

Well, there's the DX7 Pro that is in the works...

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For UK buyers looking for a good wireless speaker Amazon are selling the Samsung (also sold under the AKG name) VL5 speaker for £215. It's a bit of a monster as these speakers go and the original UK SRP was a bit silly but at £215 with free delivery it is a very good speaker and well worth a punt.

I've been watching for these In the U.S., and Fry's just put the VL5 (AKA Samsung VL550) on Clearance for $130 each with free shipping. Clearance at Fry's means they do not have many and have recalled them from the stores to the warehouse. In the past they have phoned me before shipping anything open box. The VL550 seems to have been abandoned by Samsung who has announced a smarter assistant type speaker range. I am a sucker for this type of thing and have one on the way.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been watching for these In the U.S., and Fry's just put the VL5 (AKA Samsung VL550) on Clearance for $130 each with free shipping. Clearance at Fry's means they do not have many and have recalled them from the stores to the warehouse. In the past they have phoned me before shipping anything open box. The VL550 seems to have been abandoned by Samsung who has announced a smarter assistant type speaker range. I am a sucker for this type of thing and have one on the way.

It's almost like Samsung dumped it on the market then lost interest in it as they seemed to make no real effort to promote it and it is almost like a product that never was. Yet someone at Samsung clearly signed off on its development and the design seems to indicate some significant technology and thought. Very odd.

Over here Samsung seems to have a bit of a habit of dumping audio stuff in fire sales which would make me think twice before paying anything like SRP for Samsung products. Over the last few years they have made some really excellent soundbars, many of which seem to go for less than 50% of SRP a few months after launch. I know it is normal for products to be discounted later in their life cycle but with Samsung it seems particularly so.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
This thread is generally about "bargains", "deals" that members have found and wish to share.
Nothing wrong with Adorama (or any other websites) references, I have posted those for the JBL 306P's here before, as long as they are not incentive linked references.

bigjacko

. This is a youtube video from a reviewer Joshua Valour talking about Massdrop x Empire Ears Zeus Universal IEMs . In the description there is a link that can reduce $250. Seems only valid until 7 October from a comment. I have not seen many people talking about this iem, what do you guys think about it?

bilzebubba

Amazon US has the Etymotic ER4XR for $244 USD:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GW786B4/
That's a pretty good deal for a great pair of buds...which I went and left on a plane!
So I replaced them with a step down, the Er3XR, which are still pretty good, and am glad you can replace the cables now, as I have worn through them in other pairs in the past, but wonder why they still won't integrate a mic for use with an Android phone?

Last edited:

flipflop

I have not seen many people talking about this iem, what do you guys think about it?
Complete garbage if there's any truth to the frequency response graph on the Drop page:
wHWnnWvQh65YdTVvZNkZ_DSxmj3rYQYOTmgmwtwSC_Image from iOS (1).jpg

Bass and treble will be severely lacking.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This may interest some EU customers:

Focal Aria 906, Walnut finish at 416€/pair. Price at launch was 850€ (EU), 760£ (UK), and even 1500$ (USA)...(actually, 1K$ on Amazon.com)

HomeCinéSolutions.fr is an excellent reseller, with easily the most competitive prices in France and a very good customer service. I ordered a lot of gears there, and will continue. They say they ship worldwide, BTW.

The Aria 906, on the other hand, is (subjectively speaking) an excellent bookshelf speaker. Decent bass performance, huge soundstage, and very smooth high-mids/highs. I still own a pair of these and it became my main speakers for average/small room. Because we're still on ASR, here are some measurements from SoundStageNetwork:

fr_on1530.gif

audimus

Focal Aria 906, Walnut finish at 416€/pair. Price at launch was 850€ (EU), 760£ (UK), and even 1500$ (USA)...(actually, 1K$ on Amazon.com)

HomeCinéSolutions.fr is an excellent reseller, with easily the most competitive prices in France and a very good customer service. I ordered a lot of gears there, and will continue. They say they ship worldwide, BTW.

The Aria 906, on the other hand, is (subjectively speaking) an excellent bookshelf speaker. Decent bass performance, huge soundstage, and very smooth high-mids/highs. I still own a pair of these and it became my main speakers for average/small room. Because we're still on ASR, here are some measurements from SoundStageNetwork:

fr_on1530.gif
I have no experience with these speakers.

I have seen this kind of curve in some speakers where the SPL levels shoot up at the higher end of the spectrum. They typically sound too bright to my ears and induce fatigue on extended listening unless matched to amps that sound “warmer” with a roll off in that region. Any idea why this part of the spectrum isn’t made flatter with the correct tweeter matching or is it intentional because some people prefer the bright sound?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They typically sound too bright to my ears and induce fatigue on extended listening unless matched to amps that sound “warmer” with a roll off in that region. Any idea why this part of the spectrum isn’t made flatter with the correct tweeter matching or is it intentional because some people prefer the bright sound?
I have no idea what you're talking about. Check others FRs from SoundStageNetwork to compare data to data... The 906s do show a "falling" curve up to somewhat 13Khz. Then, the rise in HF is much less disturbing/audible than a peak at 6 or 8Khz. Being very sensitive to this specific point, I don't find the 906s to be bright at all.

audimus

I have no idea what you're talking about. Check others FRs from SoundStageNetwork to compare data to data... The 906s do show a "falling" curve up to somewhat 13Khz. Then, the rise in HF is much less disturbing/audible than a peak at 6 or 8Khz. Being very sensitive to this specific point, I don't find the 906s to be bright at all.

What are you driving them with?

I am not comparing two charts or comparing to any other speakers and as I have said, I have no experience with these speakers to say anything about these speakers.

I am just giving you my personal correlation with speakers that show that spike and my aural perception which depends a lot on individual response to the spectrum. People who cannot hear past say 12k for example may find that spike irrelevant. Or if it is not obvious in tone balance, it might be fatiguing to those that are sensitive in that spectrum.

This does not negate your experience given the individual differences. And one man’s bright is another’s norm!

But since this is ASR, why are speakers being built with such spikes at the higher end rather than being flat? Not all speakers do that.

Is it intentional or not? That is a valid question, just as asking why a DAC is being put out with harmonic distortion spikes at high frequencies. Just because one claims that they do not hear those distortions, it does not invalidate the question.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

fr_on1530.gif
How would you compare those to a pair of JBL 305 ?

Top Bottom