• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Master "deals" (massdrop, ebay, Amazon, etc.) Thread on Audio Product Sales

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I know many of you either own or are familiar with KEF LS-50 Meta Speakers. These speakers sound amazing!

Why has KEF suddenly discounted the LS-50 Metas by almost 60%? Originally, when released, they were priced around $1500.

Yesterday, I goto my local high-end dealer to see what's on sale and talk audio. He tells me the KEF LS-50 Meta's are $999. I was taken back by big discount. Normally, KEF doesn't offer deep discounts. Today, they are priced at $899.

Does anyone know why KEFs trying to unload these elite bookshelf speakers? I've owned numerous bookshelf speakers over the years priced from $600-$1500. The KEF's were always on my shortlist, but cost of stands kept me from buying ($450-$500).
Please don’t underline text if it’s not a hyperlink.

MacCali

Major Contributor
It's not a complaint. I'm actually considering buying a pair. The point of post was to see if anyone heard something negative about the LS-50 Meta's (i.e. brand discovered an issue). For someone to say it's a normal "Black Friday" is little far fetched. I've never seen or heard of high-end audio brand, like KEF offer such deep discount of 60% on top tier component.

This has occurred throughout audio history. At some point, a well known audio company built product that turned out to have problems down the road.

I apologize if my post was misunderstood.
Personally I think most audio enthusiasts who use stereo setups aren’t very interested in a powered pair of books. Definitely a time and place/use case for everything, I am just speaking for diehard enthusiasts.

It could be getting discontinued in the near future or people simply are not purchasing it. Also consider until a product reaches less than 50% there’s really no losses on that sale

GM3

It's not a complaint. I'm actually considering buying a pair. The point of post was to see if anyone heard something negative about the LS-50 Meta's (i.e. brand discovered an issue). For someone to say it's a normal "Black Friday" is little far fetched. I've never seen or heard of high-end audio brand, like KEF offer such deep discount of 60% on top tier component.
Weird, I think it's fairly common, not as in you see it everywhere every time, but big sales for big brands happen all the time. Could happen for a plethora of reasons...

My conclusions typically when seeing such sale would be
1) regular price allows massive profits; so the sale price is more in line with what should have been its price in the 1st place.
2) upcoming replacement product and trying to sell off inventory for the newest and latest
3) can sometimes be a real sale, for publicity, acquiring new customers, overstock, products not selling as expected, etc., so genuine true true win for the customer.

But like you said, depends on the brand. Some brands never go on sale because they're always aggressively priced, others always massively increase their MSRP and regular prices, often because they know their brand recognition and established market is good enough to warrant the price. So they inflate their 'normal' price for suckers, and they'll do massive seasonal 50% off sales, for which they'll also profit so huge is their markup. So make extra buck for those who aren't aware of what I'd call a MSRP scam, or those who see "Wow 50% off!! incredible deal I have to buy it now omgomgogm!!!". Like a 'fake' sale to impress those who don't know any better.

BUT, some highly hyped products might offer great performance for a price, yet still allow massive profits; that you could see huge sales, and get a really great product for the price.. Obviously; very rare; rather fierce competition these days.

Anyway, I never really think of product 'issue' with a big sale. If you looked into the LS-50 Meta (done your homework; concluded great product at a great price) and was interested at regular price, I'd likely jump on the sale. If the product is replaced or dropped, you're still getting a much better price others have paid for, and you're still getting the same product; so you're better off than all people who paid more and were happy with the product. Doesn't take anything away from you. If a new model comes out, it'll likely be more inline with the regular price, so even if better than existing product, probably not $-worth better because of deep discount. And whether it remains low price or goes back up, makes absolutely no difference for you... So, win in all cases. Except new superior product at current-sales price, but what are the odds? (existing risk for all purchases..)

But yeah, be aware of being fooled by the 50% off sales...... The original price is often inflated by 100% so that they can have the 50% off 'sale'. Like sidewalk sales often have special crap to sell at deep discount, or just different price tags to inflate the original price.

Last edited:

Pecrobet

Personally I think most audio enthusiasts who use stereo setups aren’t very interested in a powered pair of books. Definitely a time and place/use case for everything, I am just speaking for diehard enthusiasts.

It could be getting discontinued in the near future or people simply are not purchasing it. Also consider until a product reaches less than 50% there’s really no losses on that sale
You made valid points. I believe KEF's inventory levels built up, and now they need to sell off. I now hardcore audiophiles aren't interested powered bookshelf speakers. I consider myself to fall into that category. My main system consists of Wharfedale Linton 85's, paired with (2) REL T5x subs.

As for the LS-50 Meta's, which aren't powered, I'm strongly considering buying them for my secondary system in spare room.

I'd like to avoid spending an additional $400-$500 on stands, but the LS-50's sound better mounted on KEFs specifically designed stands in my opinion.

Pecrobet

Weird, I think it's fairly common, not as in you see it everywhere every time, but big sales for big brands happen all the time. Could happen for a plethora of reasons...

My conclusions typically when seeing such sale would be
1) regular price allows massive profits; so the sale price is more in line with what should have been its price in the 1st place.
2) upcoming replacement product and trying to sell off inventory for the newest and latest
3) can sometimes be a real sale, for publicity, acquiring new customers, overstock, products not selling as expected, etc., so genuine true true win for the customer.

But like you said, depends on the brand. Some brands never go on sale because they're always aggressively priced, others always massively increase their MSRP and regular prices, often because they know their brand recognition and established market is good enough to warrant the price. So they inflate their 'normal' price for suckers, and they'll do massive seasonal 50% off sales, for which they'll also profit so huge is their markup. So make extra buck for those who aren't aware of what I'd call a MSRP scam, or those who see "Wow 50% off!! incredible deal I have to buy it now omgomgogm!!!". Like a 'fake' sale to impress those who don't know any better.

BUT, some highly hyped products might offer great performance for a price, yet still allow massive profits; that you could see huge sales, and get a really great product for the price.. Obviously; very rare; rather fierce competition these days.

Anyway, I never really think of product 'issue' with a big sale. If you looked into the LS-50 Meta (done your homework; concluded great product at a great price) and was interested at regular price, I'd likely jump on the sale. If the product is replaced or dropped, you're still getting a much better price others have paid for, and you're still getting the same product; so you're better off than all people who paid more and were happy with the product. Doesn't take anything away from you. If a new model comes out, it'll likely be more inline with the regular price, so even if better than existing product, probably not $-worth better because of deep discount. And whether it remains low price or goes back up, makes absolutely no difference for you... So, win in all cases. Except new superior product at current-sales price, but what are the odds? (existing risk for all purchases..)

But yeah, be aware of being fooled by the 50% off sales...... The original price is often inflated by 100% so that they can have the 50% off 'sale'. Like sidewalk sales often have special crap to sell at deep discount, or just different price tags to inflate the original price.
You hit nail right on head. When I made post originally, I was looking at it from KEF's financially perspective. Les to do with product itself. I work in finance, so I'm constantly questioning a company's motives.

I believe we are on the same page and appreciate your feedback. Thanks!

Pecrobet

I believe you are correct. KEF overpriced those speakers from release date in my opinion. Originally, you would have to spend $2000 ($1500 speakers + $500 stands). At that price point, you can buy high-end floorstanding speakers.

Most likely, KEF's inventory levels have built up and they need to unload. Plus, they have new products waiting to introduced to market.

Cujobob

I believe you are correct. KEF overpriced those speakers from release date in my opinion. Originally, you would have to spend $2000 ($1500 speakers + $500 stands). At that price point, you can buy high-end floorstanding speakers.

Most likely, KEF's inventory levels have built up and they need to unload. Plus, they have new products waiting to introduced to market.

Brands can have products built in large quantities knowing they won’t be sitting on shelves for a long time. The greater the quantity built, the cheaper it becomes. Companies will produce large runs of products for these holidays. This also gets consumers into their ecosystem and starts the addiction so they’ll hopefully move up later on.

Sometimes, there are clearance deals as new lines are expected, as well, but those won’t stay in stock as long.

Pecrobet

The only people I find who get sour about Kef sales are the ones who bought any line at full pop without knowing Kef speakers regularly go on sale 4-10 times yearly.
All companies adjust prices accordingly. Lots depends on supply and demand. They also need to factor in when to release new models (time of year). Lastly, economic conditions and consumer spending.

HighFutility

All companies adjust prices accordingly. Lots depends on supply and demand. They also need to factor in when to release new models (time of year). Lastly, economic conditions and consumer spending.
The issue with KEF is most people don't realize the sales KEF puts on are so frequent that they're more or less their actual price. Very few people buy Kef speakers at full pop. It only took a few months for the LS60'S to cut the price by 2k. No other company does this, none. The sales are not even seasonal or holiday-related—just random flash sales of 33% or more. I would be upset, too.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just did a huge post of deals on my blog, but here's the ones that don't contain affiliate links for Apos, Hifiman, Aliexpress, and one good deal at Linsoul. Too tired to convert all the others back (forgot to keep the notepad backup of regular links). I have five multi item packages coming from Aliexpress tomorrow I ordered on the 11/11 sale, so currently shipping times for them is right on schedule. Aliexpress is issuing daily coupons on the app, so you might do even better clipping the recent ones.

Aliexpress has some great sales if you stack coupons and cash back with Capitol One. They also now accept U.S. tax reseller certificates if you have one. You can apply for permanent tax exemption, but also after buying, send the information and they're refund a purchase you just made. Time is limited on many sales, so I'd do both if you're not setup with them already. After loading the shopping cart, log into Capitol One if you have a card with them and click the 3% cash back for Aliexpress and it'll click you through to their site to complete the transaction. This is in addition to any cash back the card you're using offers. Click all coupons and coins (easier in the app) and put each item in the shopping cart to make sure your total is hitting the threshold to trigger the biggest coupon. I bought a bunch, then added a couple of Yincrow X6's just to meet the number for the bigger coupon.

The standouts for audio equipment are:

SMSL M300SE $95.36 in shopping cart with coupons

Tanchjim SPACE Portable DAC Headphone Amplifier $61.27 in shopping cart price

SMSL SU-1 DAC $55.47 in cart price

SMSL DL200 AUDIO DAC & Headphone Amplifier $145 in shopping cart

7HZ TIMELESS AE $166 in shopping cart

SMSL AO300 Digital Amplifier & DAC $218.97 in cart price
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805971355798.html

SMSL SU-9 PRO ES9039MPRO Decoder in cart price $386.86

Seeaudio Bravery in cart $182

Hifiman has a ton of new and open box stuff running now. Free shipping and I've never been charged sales tax. The award points for purchases now, and of course stacking any credit card cash back helps. All come with their 12 month warranty, and if you like them on Facebook it extends to 18 months.
The standouts:

HE400se open box $79
HE4xx B-stock $69
Arya Stealth (refurb) $759
HE1000 Stealth Magnet (refurb) $1209
Edition XS $329
Deva Pro wired (smoother but not warm version of the HE5xx) $119

Big sales on new stuff, the black Friday page is
New and refurb on that page at a big discount:
Arya Stealth $899
Ananda Stealth $399
HE-R10D Wired $399
HE-R9 wired $109
Sundara closed back $149
(refurb) Sundara open back $199
HE-R10D Wireless $409
HE-R10D Wired $349 (can't even get a used on on eBay for that)
Deva Pro Wired $119

Linsoul has one good sale on:
Topping D90LE (non MQA version) $499 which is an amazing price for this week only)

Apos has a Google spreadsheet which shows all their black Friday sales at a glance. If on a phone, having Google sheets makes it easier but not mandatory.
You can sort it by discount to find the good ones.

Official Cyber Monday might have better prices on places like Drop and Amazon, but so far nothing earth shattering from either one. Will keep scanning prices to see if anything big comes up. Sign up for any newsletters at your favorite retailers or manufacturers. Hart Cables, Hifiman, and Drop all send out the day they post a new sale or special.

AlexanderM

RickyC34

@Pecrobet I own the og LS50s and KEF R3s and my best friend has the Lintons. They are definitely different flavors. If you're currently running the Lintons in a 2.2 system and the LS50's will be in a 2nd system being 2.0, I worry that they are going to leave you wanting more. In my opinion, the Linton's strengths are their soundstage and fullness. For me, the LS50's strengths are their tone and ability to bring out microdetails. Coming from an already full very wide sound + 2 subs, I believe you will find the LS50's thin. Have you heard many Kef speakers? A 2nd concern I would have is that you may find the "kef sound" bright. At least compared to the Lintons that naturally roll off pretty early if I'm not mistaken. I'm a sucker for the Kef sound but wish my LS50's and R3's could throw the soundstage the Lintons do. Order from somewhere like Crutchfield that has a more than fair return policy and give them a try. That's what I did 7 years ago and now happily own 2 pairs of Kef speakers.

JimBean

Hifiman has a ton of new and open box stuff running now. Free shipping and I've never been charged sales tax. The award points for purchases now, and of course stacking any credit card cash back helps. All come with their 12 month warranty, and if you like them on Facebook it extends to 18 months.
The standouts:

HE400se open box $79
HE4xx B-stock $69
Arya Stealth (refurb) $759
HE1000 Stealth Magnet (refurb) $1209
Edition XS $329
Deva Pro wired (smoother but not warm version of the HE5xx) $119

Big sales on new stuff, the black Friday page is
New and refurb on that page at a big discount:
Arya Stealth $899
Ananda Stealth $399
HE-R10D Wired $399
HE-R9 wired $109
Sundara closed back $149
(refurb) Sundara open back $199
HE-R10D Wireless $409
HE-R10D Wired $349 (can't even get a used on on eBay for that)
Deva Pro Wired $119
Thanks for the hifiman info. Ended up ordering an open box HE-R9 for $99. Figured I can at least try them out and return them if I'm not too into them.

bobster

Just bought Denon AVR-X3800H for $1k from Adorama. Need to use code CYBE2023.
How did you find out about the code - was it in an email, or at a third party site or did you simply stumble on it at Adorama?

Bummer: I had a price drop alert on it at Adorama, and I'm also subscribed to this thread. And I got no email notifications from either.

spacevector

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
How did you find out about the code - was it in an email, or at a third party site or did you simply stumble on it at Adorama?

Bummer: I had a price drop alert on it at Adorama, and I'm also subscribed to this thread. And I got no email notifications from either.
Sorry to hear dude. I found it while scrolling through slickdeals.net

Does it not work anymore? I expect there will be another sale around x-mas/new year.

ribosradagast

Top Bottom