• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Master "deals" (massdrop, ebay, Amazon, etc.) Thread on Audio Product Sales

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
I’m considering the R253 depending on the measurements; too bad the R263 tower measures worse.

Do you do movie watching? If so, if crossed to a sub, do you think the RC263 would get loud enough off a ~100W amp?
Hi, I am music only.
Yes crossed to a sub they will rock.
Last time I listen to them was at about 95db+. I was not using a sub (although I just finished building my new subs and will pair with them next time)
The RC263's were given a bit of bass boost from around 40-60hrz and then I used a high-pass below that.
They went really loud very, very clean sound.
The amp I was using is about 125watts into 8ohms and 175 into 4ohms.
Never had any sense of needing more.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Black Friday sales already started for most DACs and HAs since Nov 24th, so whatever prices you see are...they're already on sale.
Topping L30 is currently on sale for US$118.

I will probably buy it just as a fail proof future. It’s been very difficult to convince the hubby of Speakers that aren’t his grandpa’s 50 year old oak Sansui. I will have to retreat into the headphones world.

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
Can't make up my mind which set of Infinity Reference speakers to get for HT setup.. probably will be out of stock until I decide. Please help :)
Room is 18 ft long, 11.3 ft wide, 8ft tall.
Considering R263 towers front, RC263 center, R162 surround back, R152 Atmos height.
Should I buy a pair R12 subs too? If I get subs would I be fine with R253 fronts and R152 for surrounds.
If I get R263 fronts would I even need a sub for HT?

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can't make up my mind which set of Infinity Reference speakers to get for HT setup.. probably will be out of stock until I decide. Please help :)
Considering R263 towers front, RC263 center, R162 surround back, R152 Atmos height.
Should I buy a pair R12 subs too? If I get subs would I be fine with R253 fronts and R152 for surrounds.
You always need a sub.

As I stated in an earlier comment, the Harman Spin of the R263 isn’t as good as the R253, but I edited that recently as I noticed the measurement doesn't make sense.

Amir is measuring the R253 as we speak.

I am debating the R253 which will be known vs the R263.

If the R253 measures well, I will get one of the towers, the RC263 and the surrounds.
If you don’t already have a sub, <$200 for that Infinity sub seems like a great deal.
Will have to sell the 5ch speakers I currently have as I already get complaints of too many speakers around the home; but I do love the look of my current speakers, cherry wood finish (not my pic):
20170110_152010_1484356964849_resized-jpg.1893945

Too bad I did an in-room measurement and they are poor, huge midrange boost and 2.5kHz dip:
8V3tPRY.png

Ignore the ridiculous bass.

Last edited:

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Yes, buy a sub.
Buy two subs at this price.
I second @MZKM that for HT it is essentially mandatory.
I think with a sub you won't really get that much more by buying the bigger mains if you are also high-passing them/using bass management. Educated guess.
Still you may want the bigger ones just because sometime it is fun to go big or go home.

By the way for music you might not need a subwoofer.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Black Friday Sales (for Canadians):
AVShop.ca Black Friday
Usually 10% off, price visible at checkout.

Which studio monitors are on sale?
Exactly the same as tomleemusic.ca deal I posted earlier.
1. Focals are 10% off
2. IK Multimedia iLoud Micro are on sale for CDN$270. Avoid this deal, buy from CDN$250 at tomleemusic.''

EDIT:
These deals are better than tomlessmusic, since it includes all regular priced items, which includes Genelec studio monitors (wohoo!)
Ex. Genelec 8030C is CDN$700 - $70 = $630/ea

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, buy a sub.
Buy two subs at this price.
I second @MZKM that for HT it is essentially mandatory.
I think with a sub you won't really get that much more by buying the bigger mains if you are also high-passing them/using bass management. Educated guess.
Still you may want the bigger ones just because sometime it is fun to go big or go home.
I agree the price is good but I would suggest subs on the level of the Infinity are for music and light movies. They are not powerful enough or extend low enough for moderate movie watching. It would take several of them in a small room to get enough low SPL to match a single good sub from the likes of Rythmik.

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
I agree the price is good but I would suggest subs on the level of the Infinity are for music and light movies. They are not powerful enough or extend low enough for moderate movie watching. It would take several of them in a small room to get enough low SPL to match a single good sub from the likes of Rythmik.

Agreed, but I tried a sub that extended down to 20Hz in my room (SVS PB-1000) and I did not like it - the 20-30Hz was overly boosted compared to higher bass frequencies and could not correct it with my receiver and placement. Current using Rokit 8 studio monitors as subwoofers (weird setup for sure) and it goes down to 35Hz which seems reasonable for movies. A pair of Infinity R12s should be better in all cases.

Really excited to replace my Polk Audio TSi300 towers and matching surrounds with an Infinity set. Polks are way too bright sounding and not that great overall.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Agreed, but I tried a sub that extended down to 20Hz in my room (SVS PB-1000) and I did not like it - the 20-30Hz was overly boosted compared to higher bass frequencies and could not correct it with my receiver and placement. Current using Rokit 8 studio monitors as subwoofers (weird setup for sure) and it goes down to 35Hz which seems reasonable for movies. A pair of Infinity R12s should be better in all cases.

Really excited to replace my Polk Audio TSi300 towers and matching surrounds with an Infinity set. Polks are way too bright sounding and not that great overall.
I bet you had a strong constructive room mode there, which EQ would take care of. I think you'll like the Infinity's. A little on the brighter side of neutral, but probably an easier listen than the budget Polks.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor

I recommend not toeing in the infinity speakers. At least play around with not doing it.
(or do what I did and lowpass them at 17k.) That took a slightly to vibrate top down for me.

With room gain all bets are off on the R12. It might do very well at 20hrz. I have never used one though.
I can say this at $169 you can buy 5-10 of them before you start to hit the pricing of a single good Rythmik sub.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
You sure can, but do you have the space for 5-10 subs? Then add in a MiniDSP 2x4 to set them all up.
Ha, no. Just sorta pointing out the big price difference. Rythmik makes good subs but these infinity units are very affordable. Two of them would likely work pretty well. (again I have never used one)

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

makes sense. This is why sealed subs are often better in small rooms because of the room gain.

An alternative would be the SB-2000 that is on special for $500. It has more roll off below 30hz than the PB-1000. Scroll down to the tech specs section for the frequency response graph

https://www.svsound.com/products/sb-2000

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m considering the R253 depending on the measurements;
UPDATE: Amir is doing his listening test now, but the Spin is crazy weird, very good and follows the published Spin pretty close from 100Hz-4kHz, but after that the tweeter is wild; since it’s no doubt the same tweeter in the other models, Amir guessed that either it has a wrong crossover component or the tolerances Infinity has for their tweeter units is unbelievably loose (which I find hard to believe as the treble in the R162 & RC263 is similar).

So, now my dreams are pretty dashed.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
UPDATE: Amir is doing his listening test now, but the Spin is crazy weird, very good and follows the published Spin pretty close from 100Hz-4kHz, but after that the tweeter is wild; since it’s no doubt the same tweeter in the other models, Amir guessed that either it has a wrong crossover component or the tolerances Infinity has for their tweeter units is unbelievably loose (which I find hard to believe as the treble in the R162 & RC263 is similar).

So, now my dreams are pretty dashed.
So far all my units have measured spot on exactly the same (within essentially zero tolerance)and match Amirs Kipple really well.
(two sets of R162's and a pair of RC263's)
I bet that unit is a lemon.
Why not just buy and try. Free returns. So easy.
Not trying to be pushy but at least for me just trying them in person would be fun enough to run the risk of having to pack them back up for a return.

Top Bottom