• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Master Complaint Thread About Headphone Measurements

ADU

Major Contributor
In the nearer term, the raw and diffuse field compensated plots are the most useful to me. Because I can use my own targets with the raw plots. And the DF compensated plots are a bit easier to use for comparison with the sound power responses of loudspeakers (available on most spinorama speaker plots).

The accuracy of some of the DF compensation curves can be a bit of an issue though. And based on some of Harman's recent studies with the new HBK 5128 rig, it sounds like some tweaking might be needed on HBK's current mannikin to maybe mitigate some potential leakage issues. More research is probably still needed on that though.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16543

If I understand what you're suggesting here, it sounds like you'd prefer to have the FR data left mostly as is, in its raw form. And then just be able to compare the raw response curve to various target response curves.
No. On the contrary. Raw FR or IR data can be useful only to people that know how to extrapolate phychoacoustic information out of it.
I believe the public at large would benefit from the phychoacoustic responses to be provided to them ready-made. It's just that agreeing on what manipulations more closely match how we perceive sounds is not that easy. Most software doesn't even include these manipulations (REW doesn't, for example).
The ear's sensitivity response should be accounted for in the profile of the target curve, not in the manipulation of the raw response.. since we don't seem to be able to agree on a target curve either!

If we all agreed on the rig to be used for measurements, the gating parameters of the raw IR, the algorithm for smoothing the FR, and what the final result should look like (target curve), then we could just provide deviation from target plots. That would be the most readable graph, in my opinion.
Unfortunately we live in a non ideal world, so I would consider it a win if we saw measurements done with software that is up to snuff on the psychoacoustic algorithm, ideally making the parameters used known to the public.
With that being said, at the end of the day the only speaker measurement that really makes sense is how it measures at the listener's position, so good luck standardizing that!

xnor

I was going to reply point by point, but I'll just report here the one thing you said that I think is the crucial point of our contention.
You said:

Doing different kinds of visualizations, filtering or "massaging the data" to be more psychoacoustically meaningful are additional processing steps that happen afterwards, most of which is done in the frequency domain.

That may be. Yes, smoothing of the amplitude response does happen in the frequency domain (how else could it be?), but it's not the first thing that happens. The very first manipulation and what it is applied to determines what comes first. So is there any manipulation before frequency smoothing? And what is that manipulation applied to?
Yes, there's time domain gating and weighting, applied to the raw IR. And that's all I have been trying to explain to you. The raw IR comes before (it doesn't matter if the raw IR itself comes from a DTF/IDFT process used to deconvolve the measured signal generated by a sine sweep type of excitation. The raw FR from which you may - or may not - end up calculating the raw IR would indeed come before the IR, but going through a pass in the frequency domain to calculate the raw IR is not a necessary step, conceptually speaking).
I'm sorry but I'm really getting annoyed by your replies where you change things around in yet another attempt to prove that you're not wrong and sprinkle in more confused statements.
How else could it be done? Well, study signal processing and you will find out.
What you say happens before does not usually happen before. The raw IR also does not come before. I explained it like 4 times now.
Lastly, if you move the goalposts and now set the starting point to after the measurement was done, processed and stored in the form of an IR then of course the IR will be the starting point for any processing you'll do afterwards... and it's still equivalent to the frequency domain data, the FR, as I have also mentioned several times so this persistence on the "IR being first" doesn't even make any sense.
You should have dropped this topic when I had to explain to you that the FR is magnitude and phase, is a transformation of the IR, contains all the information, etc. or when you realized that reflections are contained within it as well.. but instead you decided to attack me instead and allege that I don't know these things. It's sad and wrong.

What matters is the psychoacustic FR, I think we both agree to that. Personally, when I say FR, I do mean FR (both amplitude and phase response), but that's another story...
In some of your responses you did, in others you didn't, but it's fine. I understand what you're trying to say.

Only after you derive a first version of the FR from the gated raw IR, you then smooth it in the frequency domain and that's your psychoacoustic FR... and if you kept track of the phase response too (instead of throwing it away as you seem inclined to do, or at least not too bothered by it) you may even recalculate another IR (this time yes, from meaningful FR to meaningful IR. FR would come first in this final step).
What on earth are you on about? Where have I been inclined to throw away phase data?
I actually spoke out against that - so again the complete opposite of what you allege.

If you refer to any statements I made regarding min phase systems then I have to tell you that you don't understand that in those systems the magnitude-phase relationship is clearly defined and therefore you can throw away the phase data because it is redundant. But headphones are only approximately min phase, as I've mentioned before as well. The closest you'll get is probably with single driver in-ears.

Incidentally, at this stage, rather than the IR, a step response is actually more telling (because it's easier to interpret).
A step response is even more prone to misinterpretation because of how strongly it is affected by non-flat FR in the bass range. Innerfidelity did that years ago and people started reading magical bass characteristics out of such graphs because they don't understand what they're looking at.
I've offered similar criticism against showing IRs for the same reason.

There are better ways to visualize, though even CSDs can be misused and misread (just like the ultra smoothed FRs that some manufacturers provide, but we've talked about that already).

The raw IR comes (or should come.. again, not every measurement software is up to speed with psychoacoustics, unfortunately) before any final response graph you end up seeing at the end (both in the time or frequency domain) that has anything to do with how we actually perceive sound.
Nah, after the measurement software recorded the test signal you could stay completely in the frequency domain for the whole process and produce smoothed FR plots without ever converting into the time domain. If I used your language then I could say "don't confuse the process with the concept", but this whole discussion has turned into a charade a few posts ago so let's just move on.

I really hope this clears the waters.
Yeah, I'll skip over some other things you said, let's move on!

Sure, but find me a software (if it even exists) that uses white noise as excitation and outputs both amplitude and phase response and I'll show you a software that took an unnecessarily complex way to achieve those results. I'm not aware of any software that goes that route.
As I stated a few times by now, white noise as excitation signal is indeed useful, if you are only interested in the steady state amplitude response and nothing else.
The steady state amplitude response is better than nothing, I guess, but technology is way past the point when you would use that to measure speakers and claim it has any truly meaningful psychoacoustic value, wouldn't you say? It wasn't intended as a nasty remark (persecution complex much?). What measurement software do you use? Are you sure you're up to speed with what is technically possible to do, in the field of headphone/speaker measurements? It sounds to me from your replies that you aren't, in all honesty.
Most professional measurement suites support a list of different excitation methods. Some hobbyist applications don't. If all you ever used and know is e.g. REW then I don't fault you.
Regarding you again mixing measurement with psychoacoustics: those are two separate things. And even if they weren't then your statement still wouldn't make any sense because (pink) noise is a better approximation of music than a sine sweep.
Of course your remark was intended pejoratively, you just confirmed it. That has nothing to do with a persecution complex, just you alleging things in an attempt to make me look worse and yourself better. This has been the theme of your responses from the get-go. Of course you don't know what I know and what I don't, what I do, what I used... and it sounds to me that you don't care as long as you're right, in all honesty.

And with that I think it's better to bow out. It seems that you don't need any input on how to better evaluate/visualize measurements having it all figured out already. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
We (the people, which is minimally means me) want the S8 review...!
It is coming. I am betting beat up hard from multiple direction with stuff that has been here for weeks and months!

moosso

It's been a year I haven't commented here.
I created a table about the possible metrics of headphone measurements and how much we obtained, these are based on my understanding which is unprofessional and imprecise.

MetricTo Measurement RigTo Human
Frequency ResponseMany reviewers measured this using GRAS, 5128 and some taobao clone 711 rig, it's the most useful and most publicly available data.Although rare, some people and research company (Harman) measure this with pin microphones such as SP-TFB.
Frequency Response ConsistencyFor headphone, solderdude and rtings did the seal broken test. For IEM, I haven't seen anybody measure it (imperfect seal, different angle).Dr. Sean Olive published a paper shows that open backs headphone has more consistent response than closed backs to real human [1], but he doesn't include the model names. This metric deserve more research.
Distortionamirm, solderdude, rtings, sonarworks and many third party reviewer measured this, it's not useful as frequency response since most of them below audible threshold.No one measure and publish it AFAIK.
Can a headphone has higher distortion to real human than a rig due to imperfect seal, ear shape, hair?
Phase Response (Group Delay)amirm, solderdude, rtings measured this. Some people said it's useless since headphone is minimal phase device.No one measure and publish it AFAIK.
Can a headphone has audible phase distortion in real human ear even it's minimal phase to the measurement rig?
Linearitysolderdude measured this partialy (60dB, 70dB, 80dB, 90dB and 97dB). Surprisingly some devices show nonlinear result.No one measure it AFAIK.
Intermodulation Distortion (IMD)No third party reviewer measure it AFAIK.No one measure it AFAIK.
CrosstalkNo third party reviewer measure it AFAIK.No one measure it AFAIK.
Only matter to open backs if the cable isn't faulty.
PolaritySome reviewer will mention it if the polarity is inverted, not widely tested.-
Pads And Eartips DifferenceSome reviewer measured it when they were interested.No one measure it AFAIK.
Bone Conduction EffectNo third party reviewer measure it AFAIK.
Some measurement rigs support this but they are for hearing aids. I have never seen anyone measured BC earphone or IEM with BC driver (e.g. UM MEST).
Not measurable at this moment.
Body VibrationNo measurement rig support this AFAIK.
This is the reason why headphone need more bass than speaker on the graph [2], not sure all headphones generate the same amount of body vibration (e.g. 70mm vs 35mm driver, dynamic vs planar).
Not measurable at this moment.
Base Air PressureNo third party reviewer measure it AFAIK.
This is more an IEM issue, IEM isolates well may have higher base air pressure. Some audio company provides gimmick to reduce it [3].
No one measure it AFAIK.

[1] https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ooking-for-opinions.41124/page-2#post-1454536
[2] https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...peakers-in-a-treated-room.41407/#post-1463320
[3] https://www.64audio.com/pages/apex

Please share you thoughts, and let me know if there is any metric not in this table.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Please share you thoughts, and let me know if there is any metric not in this table.

Crosstalk is cable, source and headphone impedance dependent.

Polarity: Is included in the phase measurement or squarewave I measure it and report when deviating from the standard.
Tyll measured polarity (seen in impulse measurement).

Phase response: GD, excess group delay and phase response are not the same thing but do have a relation.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
That would probably only be a thing with open headphones in a small echoic room (toilet, bathroom) or it would have to travel through a headband.
Would be hard to develop a standard test setup when the fixture might be conducting more sound than the air around it.

It would (IMO) be a good thing to measure electrical crosstalk using stock cables but this would require opening up quite a few headphones when the cable is not detachable.

D

Deleted member 16543

That would probably only be a thing with open headphones in a small echoic room (toilet, bathroom) or it would have to travel through a headband.
Would be hard to develop a standard test setup when the fixture might be conducting more sound than the air around it.

It would (IMO) be a good thing to measure electrical crosstalk using stock cables but this would require opening up quite a few headphones when the cable is not detachable.
Sounds can wrap around the head more than one would think.
Electrical cross talk would probably sit comfortably at least 30 dB under acoustic cross talk, for open headphones.
And then there's headphones like the RAAL SR1 (which sound very good, in my opinion), AKG K1000, and at least another one which escapes my memory at the moment, that rely a lot on acoustical crosstalk to create a soundstage more similar to speakers.. for better or worse.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I just did the following test.
HD800, R side cable unplugged.
Playing very loud music.
left ear plugged with ear plugs. Inside of the HD800 stuffed with damping materials.
Left side resting on the top of my head (conducted the bass which disappeared when lifting the left side a bit).
Right side open and then sealed off with a foam pillow or not.
No change in 'heard sound' on the right side with or without a pillow so whatever crosstalk there is is inconsequential.
For me, based on this simple test I would not worry in the least about acoustical crosstalk with open headphones.
I think the headband and skull are way more contributing as well as electrical crosstalk.

I am quite certain conducted sound in a test fixture will be quite a lot louder than that coming from the highs wrapping around the fixture or reflecting so would be hard to test anyway.
Electrical is easy to test for and is somewhere between -30 and -80dB depending on the cable and headphone impedance in 3-wire cables. Also not additive but substractive and not very frequency dependent (aside from the impedance influence).
With acoustical crosstalk propagation delay and frequencies are also factors.

With electrical crosstalk there is no time delay factor either which there would be when acoustical crosstalk via the air would be a problem.

I don't think anyone will ever be testing for this as it does not seem to be an important sonic factor.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16543

I just did the following test.
HD800, R side cable unplugged.
Playing very loud music.
left ear plugged with ear plugs. Inside of the HD800 stuffed with damping materials.
Left side resting on the top of my head (conducted the bass which disappeared when lifting the left side a bit).
Right side open and then sealed off with a foam pillow or not.
No change in 'heard sound' on the right side with or without a pillow so whatever crosstalk there is is inconsequential.
For me, based on this simple test I would not worry in the least about acoustical crosstalk with open headphones.
I think the headband and skull are way more contributing as well as electrical crosstalk.

With electrical crosstalk there is no time delay factor either which there would be when acoustical crosstalk via the air would be a problem.
Electrical crosstalk is definitely much lower than the acoustical one. See graphs on this page, for a ballpark idea where it sits.
I agree that based on "heard sound" you would not worry about acoustical cross talk either, at least in the majority of cases.
But then again we measure a lot of things that are totally inconsequential to us from the acoustical point of view, so there's that..

solderdude

Grand Contributor
My own measurements for AudioQuest Nighthawk:

Only the resistance remains. This is where the cables differ.
For the silver cable each conductor is 0.5Ω (so each driver has 1Ω in series with it)
For the gold cable each conductor is 1.6Ω (so each driver has 3.2Ω in series with it)
The driver itself has a DC resistance of 22.9Ω (left channel) and 22.1Ω (right channel)
Because the impedance of this headphone is quite linear over the entire frequency range the voltage division that occurs will also be linear over the audible frequency range.
Each cable attenuates the applied signal.
The output resistance of the test amplifier is 0.2Ω.
When the gold cable is connected the source will see 0.2Ω + 3.2Ω + 22.1Ω and the voltage across the 22.1Ω load thus is 0.866 x the source voltage. That is – 1.24dB attenuation.
When the silver cable is connected the source will see 0.2Ω + 1Ω + 22.1Ω and the voltage across the 22.1Ω load thus is 0.948 x the source voltage. That is – 0.46dB attenuation.
A difference of 0.8dB.

The audible differences between these cables, however, come from the 3-wire cable which is used. The resistance of a single return wire becomes important. Certainly for low impedance headphones as the ratio between them becomes smaller.
This is explained here.
The difference in crosstalk between these cables is an audible 10dB. The silver cable has -34dB crosstalk and the gold one -24dB. These are audible levels and explain differences between the 2 supplied cables.

I have to admit this is the worst I have ever seen and suspect the 'gold' cable is made this poorly on purpose to ensure people can hear a difference between the 2 supplied cables.

Most are somewhere below -30dB for 3-wire cables and low impedance headphones.
Balanced and high impedance headphones are well below -80dB.

D

Deleted member 16543

My own measurements for AudioQuest Nighthawk:

Only the resistance remains. This is where the cables differ.
For the silver cable each conductor is 0.5Ω (so each driver has 1Ω in series with it)
For the gold cable each conductor is 1.6Ω (so each driver has 3.2Ω in series with it)
The driver itself has a DC resistance of 22.9Ω (left channel) and 22.1Ω (right channel)
Because the impedance of this headphone is quite linear over the entire frequency range the voltage division that occurs will also be linear over the audible frequency range.
Each cable attenuates the applied signal.
The output resistance of the test amplifier is 0.2Ω.
When the gold cable is connected the source will see 0.2Ω + 3.2Ω + 22.1Ω and the voltage across the 22.1Ω load thus is 0.866 x the source voltage. That is – 1.24dB attenuation.
When the silver cable is connected the source will see 0.2Ω + 1Ω + 22.1Ω and the voltage across the 22.1Ω load thus is 0.948 x the source voltage. That is – 0.46dB attenuation.
A difference of 0.8dB.

The audible differences between these cables, however, come from the 3-wire cable which is used. The resistance of a single return wire becomes important. Certainly for low impedance headphones as the ratio between them becomes smaller.
This is explained here.
The difference in crosstalk between these cables is an audible 10dB. The silver cable has -34dB crosstalk and the gold one -24dB. These are audible levels and explain differences between the 2 supplied cables.

I have to admit this is the worst I have ever seen and suspect the 'gold' cable is made this poorly on purpose to ensure people can hear a difference between the 2 supplied cables.

Most are somewhere below -30dB for 3-wire cables and low impedance headphones.
Balanced and high impedance headphones are well below -80dB.

Right..
But if you attempted to measure acoustical cross talk you would probably find lower values than even this worst case scenario.

This is nonetheless a very instructional example, in my opinion.
You have the "flagship" product making a difference by decreasing accuracy, the output analog stage (+ cable) making much more of a difference than any decent DAC or even amp will ever show in their measurements, and it explains in scientific terms what a lot of audiophiles refer to as "synergy" of their system components.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
But if you attempted to measure acoustical cross talk you would probably find lower values than even this worst case scenario.

Do you mean lower in value (so below -30dB) or lower in the sense of -20dB for instance ?
Sometimes when measuring headphones and sometimes a contact of say the R channel is not there but L is but the right channel is measuring what only the left channel is doing then, depending on the frequency, there is somewhere in -20 to -50 of signal there but this is just 'mechanical' coupling of the fixture (in my case wood) so measuring any acoustical crosstalk would probably say more about the fixture than the actual crosstalk of a headphone.

Top Bottom