• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MASSDROP X Focal ELEX Review (headphone)

Aerith Gainsborough

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I simple do not understand how you can say that a driver breaking up at 114db for a headphone is even remotely a problem. Anything over 70 decibels for an extended period of time will leave you deaf and with tinnitus. If you play your headphones even close to 114db you will be in a world of hurt. I don't understand the logic of pushing these headphones to the extremes where no sane person would?
Listen to this and crank it.
Since there is little content in the higher registers, you will hit 110dB /Xmax in no time.

sandymc

Listen to this and crank it.
Since there is little content in the higher registers, you will hit 110dB /Xmax in no time.

Well, I played it my Elex at what I would consider to be my limit - no sound of any driver issue. Maybe other people have a higher audio pain threshold. o_O

solderdude

Grand Contributor
age, headphone, recording, EQ and preference dependent. ;)

Zensō

Major Contributor
I simple do not understand how you can say that a driver breaking up at 114db for a headphone is even remotely a problem. Anything over 70 decibels for an extended period of time will leave you deaf and with tinnitus. If you play your headphones even close to 114db you will be in a world of hurt. I don't understand the logic of pushing these headphones to the extremes where no sane person would?

To understand, watch this:

Last edited:

Aerith Gainsborough

Well, I played it my Elex at what I would consider to be my limit - no sound of any driver issue. Maybe other people have a higher audio pain threshold. o_O
Granted, I have to crank it beyond what is comfortable for me too. The bass actually starts to hurt my ears shortly before I reach the clipping point, so it's not fun for me to listen at that level.

The Clear clipped rather easily on transient peaks when watching movies due to the high output impedance of my AVR that gave me an absurd +10dB spike at the primary resonance frequency of 55Hz. That was indeed a wee bit annoying because dialogue is always so quiet. With the ADI-2 now being fed directly from my BD player, that's a thing of the past.

markanini

Major Contributor
I simple do not understand how you can say that a driver breaking up at 114db for a headphone is even remotely a problem.
To understand how it's a problem you have to consider the difference between peak and average levels. It's even more imortant with orchestral recordings or jazz, bluegrass and other genres popular with audio enthusiasts.

Last edited:

sandymc

The Clear clipped rather easily on transient peaks when watching movies due to the high output impedance of my AVR that gave me an absurd +10dB spike at the primary resonance frequency of 55Hz. That was indeed a wee bit annoying because dialogue is always so quiet. With the ADI-2 now being fed directly from my BD player, that's a thing of the past.

Yes, a lot of the Focals have a bump in the impedance at low frequency. With a high impedance amp it can cause all sorts of weirdness.

JohsonChou

I have focal elear and I run the same +7 low shelf EQ. I turned it up pretty loud, much louder than what I would listen it at, and didn't get any clicking...
Then I took the headphone off to prevent my ear from bleeding, turned it up even louder, and didn't get any clicking.
You guys must be seriously deaf...

For reference I personally find the sound level at most movie theater to be my upper limit of ideal listening volume. I do find most night clubs super loud.

Last edited:

PeteL

Major Contributor
I have focal elear and I run the same +7 low shelf EQ. I turned it up pretty loud, much louder than what I would listen it at, and didn't get any clicking...
Then I took the headphone off to prevent my ear from bleeding, turned it up even louder, and didn't get any clicking.
You guys must be seriously deaf...

For reference I personally find the sound level at most movie theater to be my upper limit of ideal listening volume. I do find most night clubs super loud.
I’m kinda the same but it’s content related. You need mixes that are very heavy in the subs, likely electronic instruments. But then again, I’ve reproduced this phenomenon only once and really looking for it.

Aerith Gainsborough

I’m kinda the same but it’s content related. You need mixes that are very heavy in the subs, likely electronic instruments. But then again, I’ve reproduced this phenomenon only once and really looking for it.
You need significant output sub 30Hz w/o much going on in the higher registers for it to matter w/o you going deaf.

Most music does not feature that.

sacguy231

Focal must have some real batch inconsistency/unit variation. I was lucky enough to find a mint Elex listed locally yesterday (cables hadn't even been unwrapped!), so I contacted the seller and he agreed to meet the same afternoon. I had the chance to test prior to purchase, and knew in advance I'd be checking for the clipping issue. I sold my Clears last year because they clipped; I loved their sound, but my particular pair clipped at even moderate levels, so it was simply a deal breaker for me. The Elex reviews had me excited to try it, and at the price the seller was asking I couldn't resist. The very first thing I checked for was the clipping issue. I had my little Fiio M11 along with me, and I ran through an array of bass-heavy music with the subbass boosted several dB and played the tracks at ear-splitting levels. The headphones didn't break a sweat, and not a single clip/crack/distortion was heard. I got the unit home, and again even at unbelievable levels the drivers didn't display any bad behavior. This is my fifth (!) pair of Focal headphones. I had the Elears (sold them), Clears (sold them), Elegia (sold them), and the Stellia (still have them). I really, truly am enjoying my time with the Elex so far. Given my own experience, and all the stories I've read from others over the years, I would not buy another Focal headphone unless I could test it prior to purchase.

Luke Lemke

Why would one want it to become the Clear if the Elex sounds like a Utopia?
Really? Well, I guess my question then becomes... Can you EQ the Elex so it sounds like the Utopia? LOL

I've never heard the Elear, Elex (which I assume is the Elear with clear pads) or the Utopia. I own a focal clear though...

oluvsgadgets

Reviewer
I only had a short listen to the Clear and it sounded like a muffled Elex to me, overall similar but simply lacking that sparkle, the Utopia on the other hand sounded like a smoother Elex, still very similar but a tad rounder. Although the Utopia also had an additional peak at 6khz which is not that present on the Elex, apart from that they measure also surprisingly similar. In the end I preferred the Elex especially if price is taken into account. I think the Elex is Focal’s product with the best sound/price ratio. You just have to deal with the quality issues. I had 5 Elexes and either they fail after about a year or they have some severe imbalance out of the box. Now I have one which I am quite satisfied wirh but it’s still not perfect unlike my very first one which broke after 1 year.

Luke Lemke

I only had a short listen to the Clear and it sounded like a muffled Elex to me, overall similar but simply lacking that sparkle, the Utopia on the other hand sounded like a smoother Elex, still very similar but a tad rounder. Although the Utopia also had an additional peak at 6khz which is not that present on the Elex, apart from that they measure also surprisingly similar. In the end I preferred the Elex especially if price is taken into account. I think the Elex is Focal’s product with the best sound/price ratio. You just have to deal with the quality issues. I had 5 Elexes and either they fail after about a year or they have some severe imbalance out of the box. Now I have one which I am quite satisfied wirh but it’s still not perfect unlike my very first one which broke after 1 year.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm a headphone hoarder, so I'm trying to choose my heaphones carefully considering sound/price ratio. It seems I can sell my Clears and get the same sound quality with the Elear/Elex for half the price...

Skinner001

Thanks for the feedback. I'm a headphone hoarder, so I'm trying to choose my heaphones carefully considering sound/price ratio. It seems I can sell my Clears and get the same sound quality with the Elear/Elex for half the price...
I sold my Clears since they really are overhyped and nothing special - mechanical clipping, average comfort etc.

Wouldn't go for the Elex, unless you're prepared to have a ton of trouble due to appalling QC.

If you're consider price/sound ratio there's plenty out there (e.g. 560S).

PeteL

Major Contributor
I sold my Clears since they really are overhyped and nothing special - mechanical clipping, average comfort etc.

Wouldn't go for the Elex, unless you're prepared to have a ton of trouble due to appalling QC.

If you're consider price/sound ratio there's plenty out there (e.g. 560S).
Never had any issue with my Elex. What breaks? They feel very well constructed but maybe the flaws are not evident? Mines don’t clip at my listening levels so for me a good choice. Never heard the 560s, but to me the Elex sounds much better than the 650, that one I sold.

Last edited:
Top Bottom