• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ANC headphones are becoming worse or are at least stagnating since 8 years (proof(?) inside)

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
no they decreased bass anc by ~17db. its because their smart anc crap doesnt work at all. (you have to put a full blown hairdryer next to earcups to have full anc for a few seconds)
I find the variable ANC works fine with the xm3, I don't want it at 100% if I'm walking around outside, it's not really safe.

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I find the variable ANC works fine with the xm3, I don't want it at 100% if I'm walking around outside, it's not really safe.
I think you dont understand at all. Im speaking of the XM5 (which got smart anc) which is a downgrade to XM3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think you dont understand at all. Im speaking of the XM5 (which got smart anc) which is a downgrade to XM3
Oh I see. The absolute NC ability increased but it constantly re-optimizes? Yeah that would annoy me.
The noise cancellation level is fairly stable on the xm3 and I find when I'm seated it's 100% and it only dips down when I'm walking.

CarbonMakerU

Forum Donor
I might be wrong, but I believe that there is a consideration in noise cancellation for non-industrial products that takes liability into consideration. There are certain things, such as emergency alarms and back-up signals, that need to be clear to the headphone user, or there could be dire consequences. The same goes for proximity effects for large moving objects, whether vehicles or simply materials not under control. Needless to say, voice warnings also need to be able to get through.

I would never use noise cancellation in situations that could reasonably result in harm or injury, but manufacturers are undoubtedly aware that some people would not exercise such caution.

Jim
This is completely logical, and I wish it were the case but as 3M proved, although the exact inverse, nothing comes before profit.

Top Bottom