• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

March Audio Sointuva Speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Im not sure about this. My reading is that with a 10:1 the x axis would be twice as wide as the Y axis assuming a 20kHz span. Amirs plots conform to this.
Here is the example Spin from the 2034 paper:
92EA26AE-F64E-4952-86A1-4CF74B12564C.jpeg

The graphs from SoundStage/NRC also follow this:
fr_on1530.png

@napilopez has me filmed this as well:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ds/erinsaudiocorner.11219/page-16#post-424133

This graph of your's following the correct aspect ratio very closely it looks like:
index.php

Last edited:
OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Last edited:

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So the standard is wrong. Haha :)

REW 25dB/octave setting. Sorted! :)

View attachment 95564
Yeah, the revision of the standard is slated to be completed this year, although the website stated only 25% completed.

As to what is claimed in the revision:
The standard is being revised to incorporate new rating methods and to make additional edits as needed

The other major typo is the calculation of Early Reflections, as even the Klippel NFS is doing it wrong (Amir has contacted them); as it only uses the + & - 90 degree angles and 180 degrees, when it should be using everything from + to - 90 degrees from the rear (180 degrees) hemisphere.

How did you make your PIR curve? As besides the ER curve error, if calculating manually (like I do), you also need to do the proper angular weights for Sound Power which also includes going to and from Pascals & Decibels.

Last edited:
OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
@amirm and @March Audio in this case you both were right somehow.
The chosen scaling and smoothing does not correspond to the common representation here. But the display chosen by March Audio is not misleading (visually maybe a little bit).
The diagram below shows the frequency response of KH310 (1/20 oct smoothing), Sointuva 1/24 oct smoothing and Sointuva 1/3 smoothing (the smoothing called "Psychoacoustic smoothing" by @March Audio)

If you look at the "ripple" of the speaker in the range 0.1-10kHz, it is 5.6dB with 1/24 oct smoothing and 4.9dB with 1/3 oct smoothing - this is not dramatically different.
Just for info 1/3rd and psychoacoustic smoothing arent the same.

1606227802003.png

1606227867235.png

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company

How did you make your PIR curve? As besides the ER curve error, if calculating manually (like I do), you also need to do the proper angular weights for Sound Power which also includes going to and from Pascals & Decibels.

REW to Virtuixcad.

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Since I don't use REW, I thought you were using the term "psychoacoustic smoothing" to refer to the critical bands;)

Psychoacoustic smoothing uses 1/3 octave below 100Hz, 1/6 octave above 1 kHz and varies from 1/3 octave to 1/6 octave between 100 Hz and 1 kHz. It also applies more weighting to peaks by using a cubic mean (cube root of the average of the cubed values) to produce a plot that more closely corresponds to the perceived frequency response

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, I assume it‘s doing the correct calculation unlike the Klippel software.

VituixCAD offers a variety of settings to manipulate the displayed curves.
But with the correct settings and complete measurements the CEA2034 should be calculated correctly.
1606240749522.png

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
@March Audio , should we then “worry” about the 3k dip or not?
Anyway, I thought that the debate was unnecessarily bitter.
It was completely unnecessary full stop but let's move on.

Speaker design is about balancing compromises. The objective is to choose the compromises that have the least negative impact.

Ideally of course it wouldn't be there. However you need to be careful. If tweaked to minimise it there would be knock on effect in the sound power, the sound radiated in different directions in the vicinity around that dip.

If you look at the predicted in room response the dip is only very small.

1606053969529 (1).png

However, as mentioned one of the objectives of the final measurements is to look at this in detail, minimise it without upsetting the in room response.

BTW dips are generally less audible than peaks. The link @ctrl provided earlier provides some further insight on this.

Subjective testing has not shown it to be an issue.

Last edited:

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In jest - Alan, with audiosciencereview, you need to slap big red disclaimers ON all the measurement images, because noone (you know what I mean) actually reads the text.

Also, that 3khz dip looks like edge diffraction, which is a phenomenon with virtually all commercially available direct radiating box speakers available today have, that would likely disappear in-room, as you've simulated and shown. 3khz wavelength is 11.4cm, is that not the length from your tweeter to edge?

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
In jest - Alan, with audiosciencereview, you need to slap big red disclaimers ON all the measurement images, because noone (you know what I mean) actually reads the text.

Also, that 3khz dip looks like edge diffraction, which is a phenomenon with virtually all commercially available direct radiating box speakers available today have, that would likely disappear in-room, as you've simulated and shown. 3khz wavelength is 11.4cm, is that not the length from your tweeter to edge?
Oh for sure, its shown in the model. Was expecting it.

1606265233935.png

However the reality is more pronounced than expected, so investigating tweaking the xo slightly.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh for sure, its shown in the model. Was expecting it.

View attachment 95682

However the reality is more pronounced than expected, so investigating tweaking the xo slightly.
While on this topic, and this is a question to anyone:
Why do some companies use offset tweeters? Is it so that while it makes 2 different diffraction frequencies, they are less pronounced?

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Why do some companies use offset tweeters? Is it so that while it makes 2 different diffraction frequencies, they are less pronounced?
Bingo. - ideally 3 different diffraction frequencies by keeping the tweeters distance from the TOP and TWO sides of the cabinet different lengths.

But most people prefer a centered tweeter, myself included. Look at any of the revel speakers, heck KEFs, Elacs ... I could go on. The aesthetic trade-off is much preferred. The first question on the showroom floor is always "why arent the tweeters centered it looks funny doesn't it?".

Almost all of the time the on-axis dip does not turn up "in-room". Might be a problem near-field? IDK, I don't do near-field.

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
It certainly changes it.
1606267127999.png

1606267158222.png

Whether its useful or not will depend on a number of factors and specific design.

DrDardis

@March Audio Curtin University used to have a pretty good anechoic chamber from recollection in the engineering department, perhaps you could see if you can get time in it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom