• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

March Audio Sointuva Speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
I have been asked to show some renders of different finishes.

I will try and get some full box renders if I get time later and some of the actual wood finishes, but as a quick start here are some front baffles. Not sure if it really helps but here they are.

p5.PNG
p4.PNG
p3.PNG
p2.png
p1.PNG
w4.PNG
w3.PNG
w1.png
w2.png

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Well the plan was going to be to perform some final measurements today. However that has been scuppered due to the wind picking up.

Western Australia does not have an anechoic chamber that I am aware of and travel Sydney / Melbourne is extremely difficult with covid restrictions, so we are performing outdoor measurements. This works very well so long as there is no wind and you are a long way off the ground. We are performing the measurements at a height of 8m and well away from other objects/buildings. Its an extremely quiet rural area. This means we can get good low frequency data.

We managed to get one measurement in before having to abort. If you compare to previous measurements you can see how the low frequency ripples caused by ground proximity have almost completely disappeared.

For reference we are using an Earthworks M23 mic.

Low frequency is flat to 65Hz!

Again dont take this specific measurement as definitive yet ! We have to perform a whole range yet, this is just for interest.

Oh its on axis 1m with psychoacoustic smoothing.

1606191305724.png

Oh only other thing we have confirmed today is that the sensitivity is 85.5dB/2.83v/m. Pink random 500Hz to 2000Hz.

Last edited:

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well the plan was going to be to perform some final measurements today. However that has been scuppered due to the wind picking up.

Western Australia does not have an anechoic chamber that I am aware of and travel Sydney / Melbourne is extremely difficult with covid restrictions, so we are performing outdoor measurements. This works very well so long as there is no wind and you are a long way off the ground. We are performing the measurements at a height of 8m and well away from other objects/buildings. Its an extremely quiet rural area. This means we can get good low frequency data.

We managed to get one measurement in before having to abort. If you compare to previous measurements you can see how the low frequency ripples caused by ground proximity have almost completely disappeared.

For reference we are using an Earthworks M23 mic.

Low frequency is flat to 65Hz!

Again dont take this specific measurement as dinitive yet ! We have to perform a whole range yet, this is just for interest.

Oh its Psychoacoustic smoothing.

View attachment 95450

Oh only other thing we have confirmed today is that the sensitivity is 85.5dB/2.83v/m. Pink random 500Hz to 2000Hz.

-3 dB at 43 Hz

-6dB at 27Hz

Mad extension, hopefully Amir will get a chance to validate these measurements

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
-3 dB at 43 Hz

-6dB at 27Hz

Mad extension, hopefully Amir will get a chance to validate these measurements

Dont take that as definitive, the wind was impacting the measurement, however the F3 is not far off that.

Well the measurement method is pretty uncontroversial, essentially free field. We will be measuring at 1m, 1.5m and 2.0m on turntable. TBH its probably better accuracy at LF than Klippel ;)

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I have been asked to show some renders of different finishes.

I will try and get some full box renders if I get time later and some of the actual wood finishes, but as a quick start here are some front baffles. Not sure if it really helps but here they are.

View attachment 95148View attachment 95149View attachment 95150View attachment 95151View attachment 95152View attachment 95153View attachment 95154View attachment 95155View attachment 95156

You're even veneering the routed driver cutouts? Wow, that's extreme attention to detail ;)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
TBH its probably better accuracy at LF than Klippel ;)
Before you get worried about any competition with NFS, I suggest posting measurements with sufficient resolution of 20 points/octave to figure out what the speaker is really doing. Stuff you post above are useless in this regard give how heavily they are filtered/smoothed. Most importantly, you need to set the vertical scale to 50 dB and use the proper aspect ratio. Right now you have 80 dB which helps fool the viewer into thinking the measurements are more flat than they really are. As it is, what you are showing are of no value in the type of analysis and measurements we do in the forum. They are more marketing graphs than technical....

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Before you get worried about any competition with NFS, I suggest posting measurements with sufficient resolution of 20 points/octave to figure out what the speaker is really doing. Stuff you post above are useless in this regard give how heavily they are filtered/smoothed. Most importantly, you need to set the vertical scale to 50 dB and use the proper aspect ratio. Right now you have 80 dB which helps fool the viewer into thinking the measurements are more flat than they really are. As it is, what you are showing are of no value in the type of analysis and measurements we do in the forum. They are more marketing graphs than technical....
Now now Amir dont get all tetchy ;)

It was a (slightly sarcastic/tongue in cheek) comment on the fundamental accuracy of the measurement method. I refer you to the results and discussion about the low frequency accuracy of the Klippel in your Revel F328 review if you take issue with it. Klippel aint perfect.

Of course these measurements are of value.

The vertical scale on screen is nigh on identical to yours so the span is irrelevant. So no one is being fooled.

1606204632392.png
1606204666259.png

What the hell is a "proper" aspect ratio??????????? can you show it to me in a standard?

Psychoacoustic smoothing was used and clearly stated. It provides a representation more closely aligned to what you actually hear. I dont need to tell you that.

What is the resolution/smoothing you have used and why did you settle on that?

20 points? Why not 40?

Sure we can reduce the smoothing, I have no issue with that. I can match your settings if you think it helps - it is certainly useful for comparison purposes.

You use different measurements to assess and look for different things. This was just one - as noted - non definitive measurement.

So I am not sure what your issue is to be frank.

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
What the hell is a "proper" aspect ratio??????????? can you show it to me in a standard? ;)
Of course I can. From CEA-2034 specifications:

1606205627485.png

Seems like you haven't bothered to read it. It is a very common technique to flatten frequency response measurements by making the vertical dimensions much smaller and thereby squashing the differences.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It was a (slightly sarcastic) comment on the fundamental accuracy of the measurement method. I refer you to the results and discussion about the low frequency accuracy of the Klippel in your Revel F328 review if you take issue with it.
Your speaker is no F328 tower with three woofers and two ports. The far field for a speaker is about 3 times its vertical height. In that regard, the F328Be tower at nearly 6 feet/2 meters is in entirely different class to measure than your little bookshelf. I suggest not getting into competitive war without understanding the issues. You do not have a proper measurement that I can see here.

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Why the bloody hell are you still using 80 dB vertical scale?
Amir can you calm down?

Instead of using emotive language and getting upset you could simply have made suggestions which I will gladly follow.

Thank you for pointing out the information. However it doesnt squash the differences, it just makes comparison easier and more valid.

Last edited:
OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Your speaker is no F328 tower with three woofers and two ports. The far field for a speaker is about 3 times its vertical height. In that regard, the F328Be tower at nearly 6 feet/2 meters is in entirely different class to measure than your little bookshelf. I suggest not getting into competitive war without understanding the issues. You do not have a proper measurement that I can see here.
None of that matters, your Klippel measurements were not accurate on that particular test plus IIRC there has been conjecture about some other measurements.. That was and is the ONLY point I was making.

I am not comparing this speaker to the Revel, I am in no competitive war. Why are you saying this? I am genuinely confused.

...and yes I understand the issues well enough thank you.

The measurements are entirely proper. You have no basis to say otherwise.

Please take on board that I was not besmirching the Klippel or your efforts/data. That was not the intent of the slightly tongue in cheek comment above.

Last edited:
OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
So here you go, 1/24th smoothing with 50dB scale. As noted earlier the wind affected the measurement at the lowest frequencies.

@amirm why have you settled on 20 points not 24?

1606207572307.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom