• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

March Audio Sointuva AWG Bookshelf Speaker Review by ERIN's Audio Corner

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Given the slightly better compression results and maybe deeper bass of Sointuva, maybe that. Do note that since you're closer , you likely won't reach as high compression anyway with each speaker.
Otherwise I'm not sure how much the wide or narrow dispersion matters if you are up close.
Both will need to be aligned properly to your ears as vertical dispersion is best on a small angle.
The Sointuva being smaller might also be in its favour.

March Audio is also planning more speaker models along with more electronic components.
A mini Sointuva would be cool. Not sure if it would be able to use the WG Satori however. Maybe just the regular Satori tweeter with 4" or 5.25" Purifi?

For desktop listening, i dont think either of those is the best choice (both brilliant speakers for their intended applucation). Better off looking at active monitors made for desktop use - Focal/Genelec/Kali/Neuman etc.
You may not want to clutter a desk with components for passives as well.

wolframite

For desktop listening, i dont think either of those is the best choice (both brilliant speakers for their intended applucation). Better off looking at active monitors made for desktop use - Focal/Genelec/Kali/Neuman etc.
You may not want to clutter a desk with components for passives as well.
Lucky enough to have a spacious study, and YES I want to clutter it with gear.
is where I am spending 12h every day (remote work).

-- so, sound quality is 100% what I am optimizing for here

smith007

Agree. The March tower blows away the March bookshelf in direct side by side comparison.
The wider dispersion of the BMR will suit some people better. I prefer it in the farfield, while narrow dispersion is perfect for the desktop.
If you like the D&D 8c sound, you will probably prefer the wider dispersion of the BMR to the March.
If you want to chase the least squiggly line....

I personally am not totally convinced that a wider dispersion well measuring speaker means listener fatigue??
AudioJester, I take it that you've had that listening experience, "direct side by side." I'd love to hear the details!

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Even with expensive drivers, the March tower is pushing a 2-way design more than is ideal. The 8 inch Purifi starts to rolloff around 1 kHz and the Satori tweeter fS is 700 Hz. Puts the crossover target above 1400 Hz. The Purifi 6.5 is a better match.

Holmz

Major Contributor
Even with expensive drivers, the March tower is pushing a 2-way design more than is ideal. The 8 inch Purifi starts to rolloff around 1 kHz and the Satori tweeter fS is 700 Hz. Puts the crossover target above 1400 Hz. The Purifi 6.5 is a better match.

^Maybe^ - it just seems odd that it sounds so good.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
^Maybe^ - it just seems odd that it sounds so good.

It may sound fine, but no maybe about the facts as stated.

Savi

Both drivers (8 inch purifi and satori WG) have been measured by hificompass. Looking at the data, I would say that this combo is pushing (reaching) the limit but do not exceed it. Let's hope Erin could review the tower one day but a crossover around 1400hz (LR4) seems a good start with a good directivity match and both driver should excel in its area.
That said, all of these drivers/speakers are way overpriced for me so no practical experiences.

Last edited:

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Both drivers (8 inch purifi and satori WG) have been measured by hificompass. Looking at the data, I would say that this combo is pushing the limit but do not exceed it. Let's hope Erin could review the tower one day but a crossover around 1400hz (LR4) seems a good start with a good directivity match and both driver should excel in its area.

I stand by my post. The hificompass FR measures do not show anything different than Purifi data sheet. In any case, did not say it could not be done...

Do not need a Klippel, March could at least post his design measurements for it.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, I get this.
Actually you see a lot of confused reactions when Amir and others subjectively like speakers with these attributes despite having non-linear squiggly frequency response.

Yep, notably, if the speaker has decent directivity and then response errors can be addressed by PEQ. Will add there is also some tendency to focus on the extremes of the frequency response. Many do not hear above 15 kHz and most music does not have content at 20-30 Hz. If I am flattening a speaker design above 15 kHz, am usually doing it more for optics than sound quality.

Godataloss

I'm considering getting a pair of these seeing as they have a sale on at the moment; I quite like this finish. Not sure if I should go for a navy or darker front, or get the natural wood.

Matias' Blackwood ones look nice too. Not sure which wood the ones below are using.

View attachment 348412View attachment 348413
Are these prototypes? I would be apoplectic receiving a 4 kilobuck speaker with that kind of checking in the wood and obvious finish irregularities. I applaud that they are not entombed in an inch of poly and you can still tell they are really wood, but as small as these are, there is no excuse for the use of defective material. Forgive me if this has been covered already elsewhere. I would presume I'm not the first to notice.

Savi

I stand by my post. The hificompass FR measures do not show anything different than Purifi data sheet. In any case, did not say it could not be done...

Do not need a Klippel, March could at least post his design measurements for it.
Purifi datasheet is the exception, nothing to learn from peer review. Reading your comment, my doubt was from the tweeter to be able to handle low crossover (1.4khz) and I do not trust SBA datasheet as purifi's. My opinion from hificompass distortion and IMD is yes but I understand your point.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Purifi datasheet is the exception, nothing to learn from peer review. Reading your comment, my doubt was from the tweeter to be able to handle low crossover (1.4khz) and I do not trust SBA datasheet as purifi's. My opinion from hificompass distortion and IMD is yes but I understand your point.

When am working with drivers that have way better overlap than the ones in the March tower, it still can be challenging to get good results. The Satori tweeter is good, but just like most others, it distorts worse towards its resonant frequency. Agree the Satori data sheet is insufficient to determine. So, my point was more about it being more challenging to do well under the circumstances. If March engineered a good result, am ready and willing to acknowledge. It clearly helps that he used premium drivers in his design. It may give him some more wiggle room than he would typically have for a 2-way design. :)

Given the price of the Ukkonen, it pushes most budgets. While some measurements would be helpful, would certainly not buy without seeing Klippel results. Am pretty sure many others are going to wait and see too.

Holmz

Major Contributor

I thought he was not allowed to post anymore?

It may sound fine, but no maybe about the facts as stated.
Agree.

My post was somewhat sarcastic… as for them being a 2-way, they are pretty impressive sounding.

I have definitely heard worse, and the distortion is pretty low.

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My experience with March speakers was at his demo at an audio show. New I was not buying but interested in the tech - so he went through it with me. We had a bit of fun comparing.
There is another show where he is demoing again in April.

Actually, after the listening session i pretty much decided if I need another set of passives I would but these. Locally put together, measure unbelievably well, sound perfect and look gorgeous.
@Matias is onto something. I would go the floor standers as I have the space and to me they sounded even better

Cincyret

I just ordered these (AWG) today. My final 3 were the Sointuva, Philharmonic HT Tower, & Ascend Acoustics ELX Titan Tower. I have a small studio apartment (listening area is 11'x14'x14' W-L-H). These will replace Salk Sound WOW1's (Yes, I've read the review here...but I like them a lot) + one REL T/Zero sub. The choice came down to size...I wasn't comfortable with towers in my small apartment (neighbors). I don't listen at high volume. With the 15% sale March Audio was offering the cost (including shipping) was considerably less than either of the two towers. I ordered mine painted blue to match the wall color. Attached is a photo of my A/V setup.

Can anyone speak to the tweeter height (7 deg below LP)? How much lower can the tweeter be from the LP? This effects speaker stand height choice.
Thanks,
John

Attachments

• AV Alcove.jpg
    AV Alcove.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

wolframite

I just ordered these (AWG) today. My final 3 were the Sointuva, Philharmonic HT Tower, & Ascend Acoustics ELX Titan Tower. I have a small studio apartment (listening area is 11'x14'x14' W-L-H). These will replace Salk Sound WOW1's (Yes, I've read the review here...but I like them a lot) + one REL T/Zero sub. The choice came down to size...I wasn't comfortable with towers in my small apartment (neighbors). I don't listen at high volume. With the 15% sale March Audio was offering the cost (including shipping) was considerably less than either of the two towers. I ordered mine painted blue to match the wall color. Attached is a photo of my A/V setup.

Can anyone speak to the tweeter height (7 deg below LP)? How much lower can the tweeter be from the LP? This effects speaker stand height choice.
Thanks,
John
I have a similar setup, considering (i) Sointuva AWG or (ii) Philharmonic BMR Monitor.
Did you ever look at (ii)?

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Cincyret

Congrats, welcome to the club. :cool:

They play louder than I can stand without breaking a sweat.
I see that you have a NCx500. I have a Buckeye NC252MP stereo amp (in a Ghent case so it looks pretty nice). Wiim Pro>Minidsp>NC252MP. Do I have enough power?
Thanks for your reply!

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Probably yes. I also have NC252MP driving my surrounds in my home theater system, but I have been too busy (and lazy) to disconnect that amp and bring it to the 2ch system to compare...

Top Bottom