• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

March Audio Sointuva AWG Bookshelf Speaker Review by ERIN's Audio Corner

wolframite

I didn't like the height & I wanted to spend more money (Ha!).
You still explored towers in a desktop setting. How did you decide AGAINST towers?

(I am considering towers too, like BMR Tower or Ascend ELX Titan)

Cincyret

You still explored towers in a desktop setting. How did you decide AGAINST towers?

(I am considering towers too, like BMR Tower or Ascend ELX Titan)
I was afraid of too much bulk...I've always had monitor size speakers. Also, I live in a small studio apt. The KEF LS60 was 4th on my list.

wolframite

I was afraid of too much bulk...I've always had monitor size speakers. Also, I live in a small studio apt. The KEF LS60 was 4th on my list.

What do you think about listening to tower speakers from a sub-3-feet distance?
Some folks say that, due to spacing of drivers, sound won't sum properly.

(for monitors, drivers are "packed" more closely together)

Cincyret

What do you think about listening to tower speakers from a sub-3-feet distance?
Some folks say that, due to spacing of drivers, sound won't sum properly.

(for monitors, drivers are "packed" more closely together)
I'm not the person to ask! I'm pretty new to this audio game & I'm over 70 so 1ft or 3 meters isn't going to make much difference. I do like running REW & trying PEQ. I'm about 50/50 music (Qobuz) & movies (the Criterion channnel & bought). Jazz, Female vocals, chamber music. Too much info (TMI)?

Waddles

Has anyone's order shipped yet? The estimated time on the website is four weeks, and it's been over six since I put mine in. I tried to contact the manufacturer last week, but haven't received a reply.

I'm sure there's multiple reasons they're busy, but it still sucks when there's a delay and I'm kept in the dark.

OP
Penelinfi

Penelinfi

Hopefully they reply this week; at least to reassure people. Alan did recently attend a hifi show (with new pre/amp) so that would be a little bit of time. Though the cabinet builders wouldn't be held up by that

Holmz

Major Contributor
Has anyone's order shipped yet? The estimated time on the website is four weeks, and it's been over six since I put mine in. I tried to contact the manufacturer last week, but haven't received a reply.

I'm sure there's multiple reasons they're busy, but it still sucks when there's a delay and I'm kept in the dark.

It is possible he could be at AXPONA?

Gudfala

I ordered mine in early February and I got them a few weeks ago.

Gudfala

Would you mind sharing your impressions?
I'm extremely impressed so far. Probably worth noting that I'm not someone who has listened to a massive range of different speakers and have never been to an audio show. I started with Paradigm Atoms when I was 21 and bought LS50s about 10 years ago. I've also listenined to various models of Dynaudios and KEFs that friends have had. The Sointuvas sound (to me) significantly better than all those, the bass in particular, is amazing. I listen to a range of stuff from old country and folk to doom metal and for the most part it all sounds great. I am, however, far more likely to notice and be put off stuff that is recorded badly, which I guess is a trade off. Also they seem to be pretty sensitive to positioning, and the 'sweet spot' is seemingly narrower that my LS50s were.

They are also really heavy!

smith007

I'm extremely impressed so far. Probably worth noting that I'm not someone who has listened to a massive range of different speakers and have never been to an audio show. I started with Paradigm Atoms when I was 21 and bought LS50s about 10 years ago. I've also listenined to various models of Dynaudios and KEFs that friends have had. The Sointuvas sound (to me) significantly better than all those, the bass in particular, is amazing. I listen to a range of stuff from old country and folk to doom metal and for the most part it all sounds great. I am, however, far more likely to notice and be put off stuff that is recorded badly, which I guess is a trade off. Also they seem to be pretty sensitive to positioning, and the 'sweet spot' is seemingly narrower that my LS50s were.

They are also really heavy!
Thanks for the reply. It would seem that Alan March wields a fair amount of creative capability, his crossover addressing the 2-way issue even garnering some commendation from Bruno Putzeys (alas the quote since removed from the MarchAudio website). From the measurements (Erin) and from the unqualified excitement of those who have heard them, such as our own deeply informed Matias here, as well as the generous correspondence that I had with Alan, I decided to take advantage of his February sale and ordered the Ukkonens, but without the measurements (pending) I haven't been able to feel fully settled about it. Your additional experience helps with the wait lol.

On the issue of delivery time, Australia has experienced some destructive weather in it's south-west (and other areas) that introduced some production delays for March, along with the audio show in Sydney, and I requested a delay in receipt of my speakers because I'll be travelling shortly...

janbth

I recently received a pair of Sointuva AWGs. They were shipped from March Audio 9-10 weeks after I placed the order (depending on how you count). Alan was a bit slow in answering my e-mails, but I got replies in the end. He stated late deliveries of a batch of Purifi drivers and delays from the cabinet maker (a local workshop, I believe) as reasons. It was a bit annoying to wait that long, but I'm happy now that they have arrived. I hope it works out for you!

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@janbth and what are your impressions so far?

Waddles

I recently received a pair of Sointuva AWGs. They were shipped from March Audio 9-10 weeks after I placed the order (depending on how you count). Alan was a bit slow in answering my e-mails, but I got replies in the end. He stated late deliveries of a batch of Purify drivers and delays from the cabinet maker (a local workshop, I believe) as reasons. It was a bit annoying to wait that long, but I'm happy now that they have arrived. I hope it works out for you!
That's helpful, thanks. It's not so much the waiting that bothers me, just not knowing why.

janbth

@janbth and what are your impressions so far?
First of all they look great - I have the Tasmanian Blackwood finish. I haven’t had the time to sit down and listen properly yet, but first impressions are really good.

Cincyret

Top Bottom