• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz SR8015 Review (Home Theater AVR)

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A very close friend of mine on another website bought one very early this year.
It quit working about a month ago, he sent it in for repairs, they say its an HDMI board
but can't repair his because the HDMI boards are on backorder. So now they want to give
him some B stock or refurb thing but he's having to go thru a big hassle to get it for some
reason. It sounds like a stall till they have something to give him???
I'd pass on that rig for now.
I know who you're speaking of-he detailed his experience on AVS. Despite his bad experience most of us on AVS who bought the RZ50 have had zero issues with it. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Generat0ren

My center channel is always 3-5db hot with any AVR. Did you disable Dynamic EQ? That is a different level of DSP altogether.
Yes, but to no prevail... It was better with Dyn.EQ on in terms for volum BUT the sound had almost like a reverb-effect (tho not that stong, and only with specific scenes), a little harsh sound with Dyn.EQ on in the center channel.

Last edited:

oupee

My center channel is always 3-5db hot with any AVR. Did you disable Dynamic EQ? That is a different level of DSP altogether.
I'm sorry, but I'm using a translator. In what sense do you mean hot center? Hot amp for center?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
He means positive
??? Thanks but I'm still confused, what does he mean by "hot"
3-5db louder, a tillted up FR ---
Why should this be if he's using the included DRC correctly?
I'm just lost by his statement.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I’m expecting a new SR8015 around Wednesday or so. Can’t wait. So much to learn. Will be a huge upgrade from an ancient onkyo htr500
Best of luck to ya. My experience with Marantz AV products over the last decade + has been 100% solid.

The specs say this is one heavy receiver. I find I sometimes have to fiddle with my current one to access the connectors at the back.

It is inside a console, no "rear" access.

Is anyone using something like furniture sliders to make it easier to move heavy AVRs a few inches back/forth?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Is anyone using something like furniture sliders to make it easier to move heavy AVRs a few inches back/forth?
Sliders ?? I have my equipment racks on casters to roll them out and back.

I’m expecting a new SR8015 around Wednesday or so. Can’t wait. So much to learn. Will be a huge upgrade from an ancient onkyo htr500
My Setup 8015, with 3x CV SL-15's, 2x CV SL-12's, and 2x CV SL-8's

I dont push mine beyond 7 speakers, no subs (yet). Reports suggest it's 92 watts rms across 7 speakers, and 100 watts rms across 5...

I also up my center channel +3 ... it feels like a cheat, somehow it makes everything better. all my speakers are set to large. typically set to pure but the modes are nice depending on how you are feeling.

It will likely be the root cause of my eventual deafness. I regret nothing.

Alternatively.. it would work well in a case for a house where you wanted to run the music to all speakers in the house. with multiple room support.

Any thoughts or questions will be answered in the order they are received.

These 'all in ones' give you more features than the typical user will find needed. They cover a good number of support for inputs should one be so inclined, with the breakout box support for 8k is resolved. it was free, so i have no complaints.

On the power use side. The bar shows about 50% power usage at a volume of my maximum comfort levels for any length of time. I've pushed it beyond that..for scientific and quality research purposes, my 15's enjoy the workout.. it does shake the house and probably those around the sub-division. ECO mode OFF.

Use 192/24 bit audio files versus the mp3s or like and you won't be disappointed. .. and probably never go back to lossy file types... one actually starts to hear the limits of the master tapes with the 8015. not a bad place to find oneself for a couple grand.

rafacq

The most alarming issue is: "the SR8015 runs hot, really hot". First, how many deg. C are "really hot"?
The SR8015 does not have a cooling fan. It's good for no noise and maintenance, but bad for the heat.
A thumb roll of reliability (MIL handbook) is that every 10 deg. C increase, reduces the MTBF by 1/2.
The open cover picture shows a lot of VLSI and components. If that say of really hot is translated to 55 deg C from the 25 deg. C of room temp.,
than we have 1/8 of the reliability.
High Temp. on the top cover or sides, imply of way more hot PCB temp. or IC's junction temp. So is the case wit resistors, that may have a derating in power, over 75 deg. C. This could be even worse if ventilation recommendation are not strictly kept.
Skip to March 2024. I took advantage of the crazy low prices on the Marantz SR8015, as its being phased out to make room for the new Cinema 30, and picked one to replace a 1 year old Sony STR-AZ5000ES which suffers from a bad case of 360SSM hiss.

I’m perplexed by the runs very hot comment. I had read about the hot concerns and since my unit sits inside a BDI Octave console I bought an Aircom T8 rear exhaust fan to sit on top of my SR8015. To my surprise, the display on my Aircom fan shows 84° to 86° when watching a movie at 0db reference volume. The fans are set to power on at 90°, but they don’t! Is it possible that Marantz made changes somewhere during production to address the heat?

That said, I really love the SR8015. Wonderful sound for both movies and 2 channel music. My unexpected surprise was the phone app, excellent design with very user friendly interface. No need to use the remote. The app covers everything you want to know whe using the AVR. KUDOS to Marantz for a great AVR.

Thanks Amir for the great reviews and videos.

MacCali

Major Contributor
Skip to March 2024. I took advantage of the crazy low prices on the Marantz SR8015, as its being phased out to make room for the new Cinema 30, and picked one to replace a 1 year old Sony STR-AZ5000ES which suffers from a bad case of 360SSM hiss.

I’m perplexed by the runs very hot comment. I had read about the hot concerns and since my unit sits inside a BDI Octave console I bought an Aircom T8 rear exhaust fan to sit on top of my SR8015. To my surprise, the display on my Aircom fan shows 84° to 86° when watching a movie at 0db reference volume. The fans are set to power on at 90°, but they don’t! Is it possible that Marantz made changes somewhere during production to address the heat?

That said, I really love the SR8015. Wonderful sound for both movies and 2 channel music. My unexpected surprise was the phone app, excellent design with very user friendly interface. No need to use the remote. The app covers everything you want to know whe using the AVR. KUDOS to Marantz for a great AVR.

Thanks Amir for the great reviews and videos.
Yea you need a fan no matter what, I got a 7013 and even when I used to drive only 5 channels the unit would feel grotesquely hot.

Since I bought my fans, which is 4 custom high cfm, the unit is always at very reasonable temps.

I definitely can’t say how hot, but in my experience after one movie and putting my hand on the unit it would definitely feel ick and I usually was listening at -80 so not even at reference. They may have definitely done some changes, but I’m certain the 8015 has a far more robust cooling system

I've had zero problem ever with heat... I'm guessing you guys are using 4 ohm or some fuckery mix... if you are looking for incite or insight might want to add your set up

MacCali

Major Contributor
I've had zero problem ever with heat... I'm guessing you guys are using 4 ohm or some fuckery mix... if you are looking for incite or insight might want to add your set up
Nah man my speakers are 6 ohms. You don’t have to address the issue, it’s not like the unit shuts down from the heat.

My unit is on top of an audio stand fully exposed. Inside a rack maybe a different story without proper air flow.

You’re jamming multiple speaker amps all into one box I’m not sure how it won’t get hot. You can leave it as is but realize, unless you’re unit is not hot at all, you are killing the longevity of all the components inside.

The fan setup I bought was like a 120 dollars when all is said and done. Not sure how that’s even a something to consider when you spent 3k or more on the unit

rafacq

Nah man my speakers are 6 ohms. You don’t have to address the issue, it’s not like the unit shuts down from the heat.

My unit is on top of an audio stand fully exposed. Inside a rack maybe a different story without proper air flow.

You’re jamming multiple speaker amps all into one box I’m not sure how it won’t get hot. You can leave it as is but realize, unless you’re unit is not hot at all, you are killing the longevity of all the components inside.

The fan setup I bought was like a 120 dollars when all is said and done. Not sure how that’s even a something to consider when you spent 3k or more on the unit
I’ve been keeping an eye on my SR8015 and the temperature display on my Aircom T8 fan watching Madam Web last night at -8db the temperature was 87°. No heat problems.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I’ve been keeping an eye on my SR8015 and the temperature display on my Aircom T8 fan watching Madam Web last night at -8db the temperature was 87°. No heat problems.
For frame of comparison, that is a Ryzen CPU at load. It´s still a lot, even if it is perfecticly usable.

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For frame of comparison, that is a Ryzen CPU at load. It´s still a lot, even if it is perfecticly usable.
The display on those units is typically in Fahrenheit, so 30C, or cooler than any non-custom loop water cooled Ryzen.

Top Bottom