• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz SR7015 8K AVR Review

KaiserSoze

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't agree. Looking at todays landscape photo books almost all have much artificial enhanced color saturation and contrast compared to books 40 years ago. The landscape settings of the jpg-engine in digital cameras also produces oversaturated pics with too high contrast. That's why I use portrait mode in my D800 and GX9 since even neutral modes are not true to the source.

I suppose if I stretch my imagination I might find a way that this could be interpreted as a disagreement with what I had written. But what the hell, this is a web forum after all.

truwarrior22

So I listened to the SR7015 and X4700, not happy because I liked the SR7015 because of the mids/lower mids, vocals mainly. X4700 did have clear highs though, so the search goes on. Anyone know if pure direct makes a big difference for these models? Best Buy had it locked down, but really cool setup to hear different receivers and speakers. Wonder if that would have helped both. Otherwise they are very similar sounding.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Anyone know if pure direct makes a big difference for these models?
Pure Direct disables all EQ (Crossover, Room EQ, etc.). So it can make a huge difference if those things are set.

truwarrior22

Pure Direct disables all EQ (Crossover, Room EQ, etc.). So it can make a huge difference if those things are set.
Assuming no crossovers, etc. I wonder if it still makes a decent difference.
It was a really cool setup minus unable to put them in pure direct or anything for that matter besides volume. Both sounded full range. Maybe next time I’m there I can ask.

a2lowvw

It was a really cool setup minus unable to put them in pure direct or anything for that matter besides volume. Both sounded full range. Maybe next time I’m there I can ask.

When we were shopping for our system I insisted I would only listen to the receivers in pure mode to differentiate between them. They grumbled as it wasn't a fair comparison as the differences in EQ are where they shine, in the end they did it anyway.

KaiserSoze

:DI couldn't have asked for a better engineer stereotype to prove my point. This level of arrogance and dismissiveness towards anything that does not fit one's limited worldview (and going fetal with "it doesn't compute") is precisely why so many engineers make bad product managers. The latter need to understand what the customer needs and wants and why they are different from what one thinks is the perfect solution mroe often than not. Unless one is in the business of creating products that are targeted only to other engineers....

You remind me of myself a couple of decades ago... before I had to deprogram my equally ingrained (scientist/engineer) views to be able to play broader roles. ;)

It is Mars and Venus culturally and this conflict between engineers and product management is a very common one in most companies and fatal in startups.

I am just going to end here in this thread as it is not productive.

To be completely honest you remind me of myself when I was about ten years old and behaved in the manner of a ten-year-old child.

For you to accuse me of "arrogance" is clear evidence of the real problem here. The only thing here that is suggestive of arrogance is your continued insistence that it is somehow reasonable for you to continue bashing engineers in a highly opinionated, stereotypical manner that is patently lacking in justification. This is absolutely, unmistakably indicative of extreme arrogance. By the way your use of the word "stereotype" is incorrect.

One of the several difficulties with that prior post you wrote was the lack of any real connective path from the discussion of HDMI and DRM to your bashing of engineers. The only way there could have been any real connection from your token introductory comments to your bashing of engineers would be if you were blaming DRM in HDMI on engineers. You didn't do that, oddly. Rather, what you did was to bring up several other major innovative technologies, which you did for no reason other than to give yourself a token excuse to bash and insult engineers, in a categorical way. You said in effect that these technologies (USB, IP) are flawed because they weren't designed by the right kind of people, i.e., they weren't designed by non-engineers. You did not bother to identify the supposed flaws of these excellent technologies. You would need to have done so before it would have made sense for you to blame engineers for ruining these technologies, in the way you did. Of course the suggestion that this kind of work is best done by non-engineers is ludicrous at face value. If there is something here that is so risible as to deserve a big laughing emoticon, there can be no doubt that this would be it.

Zuirdj

I just wish Denon would release a slim line receiver. I was forced to buy a Marantz NR series receiver since they seem to be the only ones who make a low profile one. I mostly just use it as an HDMI switcher though so it's not really that big of a deal that it kinda sucks.

This. I will probably buy a NR1710 or NR1711 (almost the same price) because I want to combine an avr with an external amplifier for stereo. NRs are affordable, have front preouts and a small footprint. Although 50W per channel, it seems to be not important using the external amp. Read above that they don't have HDAM's, so it would be incredible if they were as reliable as the Denons. But at this point, I'm a doubting Thomas.

Vasr

Major Contributor
Before moderators step-in with both sides, I will ignore the ad hominems and just leave this with an explanation because you have so misconstrued/misunderstood my posts, I didn't want to leave it with that bad take hanging. This is going far away from the thread.

May be there is a language problem. So, I am just going to leave this explanation here and end my participation in this thread.

My post was in response to a post against HDMI (because of its licensing issues) with comments of the form we don't need ARC anyway. I pointed out that HDMI is actually a good solution for almost every consumer in the intended HT market because things like CEC, ARC/eARC, integrated audio/video with minimal connections, etc., actually make it a great solution for the consumer because it solves a number of consumer problems.

The technology behind HDMI was developed by engineers, but the market requirements (not to be confused with technology) of what features to include for the benefit of the consumers are best handled by the people whose job description it is to understand the consumer and translate that into a PRD and/or a MRD. This is not just my opinion. This is why you have product managers who are part of the marketing department, not engineering department.

When engineers are put in deciding what the product features should be, they are notoriously bad at understanding and addressing consumer needs. Instead, they tend to assume "nobody needs ARC" if they don't like it. This is not a very controversial statement. It is common knowledge in any company that has both product management and engineering. Most startups started by technologists fail because of this until they learn the hard way like I did. It doesn't mean engineers shouldn't develop the product technology itself. Product managers cannot do that. You did not or do not understand this distinction.

My second point was that the HDMI protocol was arrived at a committee that was motivated by DRM issues (given its constituents) and so DRM became a part of it and an impediment to its use for non-DRM applications because of the committee that was responsible. But that doesn't mean, the requirements for things like CEC, ARC/eARC which have nothing to do with DRM aren't useful by themselves. You cannot deny the usefulness of these kinds of features because you don't like the DRM and licensing aspects of HDMI protocol and dismiss those requirements as not necessary anyway. That is a very engineer way of thinking. Not a market focused-approach of what customers need.

My problem was that the audio industry outside of the DRM-vested world could very well have developed a protocol/connector that would have been as easy to use with the convenience features already identified in the MRD of the HDMI (which have nothing to do with DRM). Whether it looks like HDMI or something else isn't the point, that is for the engineers to decide given the requirements. But unfortunately, as illustrated in that thread I linked to, engineers have a tendency to get attached to a technology rather than the requirements and try to push that as the only solution you need and deny any requirement that doesn't fit that model as something no one needs. This is why Engineers shouldn't be doing product management which decides what the market needs just as product managers shouldn't be deciding what technology should be used/developed to solve those requirements, they aren't good engineers. You didn't get this distinction either.

So all the other technologies I mentioned that have created silos aren't flawed as you understood because they were designed just fine for the goals that were set up for it but that doesn't mean the goals are solutions for the kind of consumer needs/requirements HDMI satisfies unrelated to DRM. So pushing each of those siloed solution as an alternative is a problem, and that is the problem with engineers in love with a particular technology rather than what is needed for the market.

Perhaps, the above is incomprehensible in the closeted engineering circles but it is not really controversial in the whole company/startup context.

One of the several difficulties with that prior post you wrote was the lack of any real connective path from the discussion of HDMI and DRM to your bashing of engineers.
See explanation above. You are welcome to disagree. We all speak from our individual experiences. Separating out technology development from product requirement/definition and keeping those roles separate isn't bashing anyone. I learnt this the hard way, so I wasn't facetious about you reminding me of myself a long time ago.
The only way there could have been any real connection from your token introductory comments to your bashing of engineers would be if you were blaming DRM in HDMI on engineers.
Note even close. See above.
You didn't do that, oddly. Rather, what you did was to bring up several other major innovative technologies, which you did for no reason other than to give yourself a token excuse to bash and insult engineers, in a categorical way. You said in effect that these technologies (USB, IP) are flawed because they weren't designed by the right kind of people, i.e., they weren't designed by non-engineers.
Not what I said at all. See explanation above. There is a huge difference between designing the product implementations where engineers come in and designing the product definition/requirements which is an outward facing product management job. You are not making the distinction between the two and making the above nonsensical interpretation.
You did not bother to identify the supposed flaws of these excellent technologies.
This is begging the question from the flawed interpretation above.
You would need to have done so before it would have made sense for you to blame engineers for ruining these technologies, in the way you did. Of course the suggestion that this kind of work is best done by non-engineers is ludicrous at face value. If there is something here that is so risible as to deserve a big laughing emoticon, there can be no doubt that this would be it.
This is taking the same flawed interpretation into logical extremes.

I am done. I really suggest reading someone's post more carefully before taking offense.

Logan Nolag

This. I will probably buy a NR1710 or NR1711 (almost the same price) because I want to combine an avr with an external amplifier for stereo. NRs are affordable, have front preouts and a small footprint. Although 50W per channel, it seems to be not important using the external amp. Read above that they don't have HDAM's, so it would be incredible if they were as reliable as the Denons. But at this point, I'm a doubting Thomas.

I wanted the 1710 since it has 7 inputs but I couldn’t find one anywhere so I ended up getting the 1711 which only has 6.
Why do you it kinda sucks? If you have the newer NR series such as the 1709/10/11, I bet they would measure as good as Denon's at the pre out, and speaker outs if driven within its limit. I think that because they don't have HDAMs so aside from the slow roll off dac reconstruction filter, they are basically a compressed (physically) version of the Denon AVR-X1600H, plus front pre outs (a good feature), and probably a slightly smaller power supply.

Without HDAMs, I am willing to bet the front preout's SINAD will match those of the Denon's, whether that means anything to you or not.

So it's the HDAMs that make the Marantz units worse than Denon?

Mr.XO

New member here... great forum and great in-depth reviews and discussions guys!
So, I was looking at a good deal on SR7013 but after going over this review, I wonder if I should look elsewhere, considering the newer model which we hope would be better is rated as a poor performer.
Now I do wonder if this could be the result of some component change (substitution due to shortage) like the capacitor issue with X6700H, or even the result of an auto channel downmix issue like in the case of that initial review of X4700H...? Though the possibility of the latter is rather slim...
I guess there's not much chance of an update to the review saying it's better after a closer look and further investigation...

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wanted the 1710 since it has 7 inputs but I couldn’t find one anywhere so I ended up getting the 1711 which only has 6.

So it's the HDAMs that make the Marantz units worse than Denon?

It would seem since HDAM is the only thing that isn't in the Denon's prep/pro section signal chain so logically speaking it likely is the reason for the lower SINAD measured at the pre out. The rest of my comments in that post were misstated. The power amp section of the higher models, such as the SR7012 Vs AVR-X4400H are the same, but the NR series seem to have no equivalent on the Denon side, so I deleted my post.

PG55

Forum Donor
Received this today from Sound United on my order for the Denon X-6700.
Hello Paul,

Thank you for contacting Denon Support, we value you as a customer and appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance!

This issue has been rectified and all of our units currently being sent out do not have this issue.

If you have any further questions please feel free to contact us again.

Thank you for contacting Denon Customer Support. Have a great day!

Warm Regards,

Anthony
Tier II Technical Support Lead
Sound United North America
Denon | Marantz | Polk | HEOS | Definitive Technology

Customer By Email (Paul Giovino) (10/05/2020 03:52 PM)
Hi Justin,

We spoke earlier about the Denon X6700 order #1632. I am waiting for confirmation that the Denon X6700 has the new capacitor as per the attached article. If so please ship as soon as possible.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/denon-avr-x6700h-avr-review-updated.15484/

This is an updated review of the Denon AVR-X6700H. I tested an early production 6700H a few weeks ago and found lower than expected performance. Denon Engineering traced this to a faulty capacitor( or capacitors) used in the initial run of this AVR. I requested an updated unit which the company was kind enough to send me.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yet on Sound united YouTube video they go on about the 15 % more parts Marantz but into their avr to give them that special sound.

That's the sr8015 right? The lower models don't seem to have received the same treatment.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
New member here... great forum and great in-depth reviews and discussions guys!
So, I was looking at a good deal on SR7013 but after going over this review, I wonder if I should look elsewhere, considering the newer model which we hope would be better is rated as a poor performer.
Now I do wonder if this could be the result of some component change (substitution due to shortage) like the capacitor issue with X6700H, or even the result of an auto channel downmix issue like in the case of that initial review of X4700H...? Though the possibility of the latter is rather slim...
I guess there's not much chance of an update to the review saying it's better after a closer look and further investigation...

Just get a Denon. Sound United did a decent job implementing a transparent AVR in the current Denon line and then tweaked the design to give it a house sound for Marantz. Many of the concerns discussed here and the price differences are a result of these changes. As stated above by Silent Hill, they may have added parts to some models. What they have in the Marantz line is intentional, but this forum is certainly not the target market. The Denon line is superior and less expensive, which should make the choice easy.

Mr.XO

Thanks for sharing your thoughts... that helps a lot!
So, is the X6500H comparable in performance to the newer gen. X6700H reviewed here?
I can do without some of the new feature adds like, 8K, etc.
I'm trying to move up from a 10 yr old Pioneer (VSX-9040THX) which I use for both music (2 ch) & movies (5.1).

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Thanks for sharing your thoughts... that helps a lot!
So, is the X6500H comparable in performance to the newer gen. X6700H reviewed here?
I can do without some of the new feature adds like, 8K, etc.
I'm trying to move up from a 10 yr old Pioneer (VSX-9040THX) which I use for both music (2 ch) & movies (5.1).
You could take a look at Amir's review of the x3500h to get an idea of the 2018 Denon line. That model had a good amp, not a great DAC. I am not sure if the 6700 is better because it is newer or because it is higher up the line. I would guess both.

Last edited:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I suppose if I stretch my imagination I might find a way that this could be interpreted as a disagreement with what I had written. But what the hell, this is a web forum after all.
Read the quoted text in my posting where you wrote Almost no one would ever say something like, "I don't like weakly saturated reds and blues, which is why I bought this video monitor, because it adds non-linear saturation to reds and blues, the way I like."
Clearly lots of people actually do prefer saturated colors and high contrast, otherwise nobody would buy those landscape books or TVs in demo modus.

Francis Vaughan

Forum Donor
Colour spaces and the way we reproduce colour absolutely has all these problems. In a manner akin to audio we know a-priori that we cannot reproduce colours exactly in most available technologies. People who care (obsess really) over colour displays very much care about the colour gamut and the mapping functions applied. Where it is different to audio is that there is a much better developed understanding and science to be applied. A lot of this is because the problem is simpler and more tractable. We have a near perfect model of colour perception and very well developed ways of managing colour reproduction using that science. Any serious HT geek will have their display calibrated in their viewing room, taking into account room lighting and ambient reflections. But many people do like a bit more snap in their images and there is no universal preference. The work of the colour grader in movie production workflow is critical and the overall colour feel a movie is made in a critical aesthetic choice for the director. HT geeks tend to want to achieve the “as intended” experience, but this still isn’t a trivial task. Especially as production technology has changed so much.
The current moves to HDR and wide gamut colour just make things harder than ever. Remapping of the space is needed and there is no one correct answer. Choice of display technology and its capabilities (ie OLED versus various quantum dot LCD etc) is a huge determinant of what you can achieve. And again, no single correct answer.

Top Bottom