• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Magico S3 NFS Spinorama and comparison to Revel F228Be

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you like looking at them, they might sound better.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
0.57 Pearljam Point*
*May 30, 14:10 UTC
1685462775511.png

Travis

Probably not proportional to the price difference. Yet they could still be better. Maybe by plenty. Speakers are still far from audibly perfect.
Price vs. gain is so dependent on the individual it’s really meaningless.

I think the practical answer is that someone who has the room where a full range floorstander is being considered wouldn’t be looking at the class/type of speakers that Genelec 8361s fall under.

Going further, if you had both set up in a room for comparison, the studio monitors would sound like toys, just like they would if compared between most floorstanders the have top tier spin-o-Rama measurements.

Maybe Harman or someone else has done blind testing between different classes is speakers in same test (floorstander, book shelf, studio monitors) that would shed more light on this, but I have not seen it.

Travis

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Going further, if you had both set up in a room for comparison, the studio monitors would sound like toys, just like they would if compared between most floorstanders the have top tier spin-o-Rama measurements.

Maybe Harman or someone else has done blind testing between different classes is speakers in same test (floorstander, book shelf, studio monitors) that would shed more light on this, but I have not seen it.

Travis
Toys ?
Wow, that bad ?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Toys ?
Wow, that bad ?
Well...that's extreme, but the size difference can't be dismissed. As good as the Genelec is, it can't beat the laws of physics.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well...that's extreme, but the size difference can't be dismissed. As good as the Genelec is, it can't beat the laws of physics.
I checked magicos specs the S3 has two 9” bass drivers the Genelec three 15” so I speculate that the Genelec will get louder :) ofcourse I will not be able to afford or hear any of them , so I just speculating in good fun.

The magicos goes to extremes in passive speaker design, but for what they are passed the point where an active design would make much more sense ? But it’s probably not about sense , there is a market for this kind of passive speaker and they provide.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I checked magicos specs the S3 has two 9” bass drivers the Genelec three 15” so I speculate that the Genelec will get louder :) ofcourse I will not be able to afford or hear any of them , so I just speculating in good fun.

The magicos goes to extremes in passive speaker design, but for what they are passed the point where an active design would make much more sense ? But it’s probably not about sense , there is a market for this kind of passive speaker and they provide.
Well: https://www.genelec.com/8361a

Does it include the big woofer part?

Travis

Toys ?
Wow, that bad ?
Relatively speaking, yes. A 20’ x 30’ room, same listening position, back to back, blind with a screen in front, toys would be my descriptor, everyone would have their own.

It’s easy to check out if you have a main room with floorstanders, bring your bookshelves or monitors in same room and go back and forth. Doing it blind would be a waste of time,

It’s no different than a concert hall with one violin playing, vs. a string quartet.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

The market that Magico sells to is used to having an exotic huge prestigious amplifier. Give it a few years and that generation will pass.

Lsc

The comparisons only matter if the person who is interested in buying speakers consider both active and passive. This whole “you don’t know what you are missing” is a bit cliche and unnecessary imho. Every thread turns into this….actives may be better but I’m getting too old to hear the difference anyway. The Magico S3 would be amazing if I had the coin for it to replace my salon2. But honestly, I’d rather just keep my speakers and buy a new car :).

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The comparisons only matter if the person who is interested in buying speakers consider both active and passive. This whole “you don’t know what you are missing” is a bit cliche and unnecessary imho. Every thread turns into this….actives may be better but I’m getting too old to hear the difference anyway. The Magico S3 would be amazing if I had to coin for it to replace my salon2. But honestly, I’d rather just keep my speakers and buy a new car :).
Your Salon2 gets you about 99% of the way there, anyways.

Lsc

Yes the upgraditis that plagued me my whole adult life is waning… pardon the interruption.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Relatively speaking, yes. A 20’ x 30’ room, same listening position, back to back, blind with a screen in front, toys would be my descriptor, everyone would have their own.

It’s easy to check out if you have a main room with floorstanders, bring your bookshelves or monitors in same room and go back and forth. Doing it blind would be a waste of time,

It’s no different than a concert hall with one violin playing, vs. a string quartet.
But if I add a sub or 2?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes the upgraditis that plagued me my whole adult life is waning… pardon the interruption.

Either my hearing is getting worse, or I am becoming more compassionate/forgiving of flaws.

I am still loving my Bose 901’s in my room. I updated my post comparing the default EQ box (no EQ at all) versus a full Dirac Live correction and the two are close enough that
A) I feel justified that my hearing is decent. We know that stereo makes frequency response and directivity errors less of an issue
B) You stop chasing the upgraditis when you find something that you know measures poorly is great

DSJR

Major Contributor
Realistically how much better than Genelec 8361 would they be ?

Question largely answered, but there's one thing with tells me the Magico's will only go so far - THEY'RE PASSIVE!!!!!!!!! - Meaning you'll need to spend a shedload more money on tasty power amps (none of this cheapskate cased Class D rubbish - you know what I jokingly mean here :D) which look good driving them!

I have to give Majico huge credit for getting their speakers to perform so well in a high end market crippled by overpriced but beefy looking tat frankly, but the market they're aiming for isn't ours (sota performance for peanuts not caring for the looks - which is getting more and more achievable each year) - you know what I mean PJ ;)

You stick to aiming for a nice pair of mid size Genelecs and I'll stay with my granddaddy passive speakers until I can look at some nice Neumanns maybe (shedding all my geriatric power amps as I go and ATC's are too damned expensive even assuming I could buy some at 'best export trade price' which is unlikely now sadly :D

DSJR

Major Contributor
Either my hearing is getting worse, or I am becoming more compassionate/forgiving of flaws.

I am still loving my Bose 901’s in my room. I updated my post comparing the default EQ box (no EQ at all) versus a full Dirac Live correction and the two are close enough that
A) I feel justified that my hearing is decent. We know that stereo makes frequency response and directivity errors less of an issue
B) You stop chasing the upgraditis when you find something that you know measures poorly is great
I heard older 901's in one room and they were a bit coloured, but stunning in the way they presented th emusic without strain or stress. I suspect it was a bit artificial but so what, they did it *in that room.* I've never heard them perform that well elsewhere apart from going loud with a big amp up 'em... My boss bought the pro version for his parties in small function rooms and halls and used them facing the 'wrong way,' as the extra if amorphous spread of sound suited the task better.

Top Bottom