1. WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Mag-Lev turntable kickstarter

Discussion in 'Analog Audio Forum (amplifiers, cables, etc.)' started by Don Hills, Oct 15, 2016.

1. dallasjustice

dallasjustice Addicted to Fun and Learning

BTW, I think the OPM business model is finding its way into many other businesses these days. Look at how Jriver does business now. They basically make a bunch of promises, collect all the money upfront on renewals and then take a year to deliver on all the promises with endless bug fix updates. It's pathetic IMO.

Sal1950 likes this.
  2. amirm

amirm Founder/Admin CFO (Chief Fun Officer) Staff Member

That's the case with individuals getting into business this way. I was address the case where a major company goes the kickstarter route. The latest offer from PeachTree is one for their $219 speakers. I don't have any worry that they can make that product and support it as if they had funded it themselves.

Outside of that I fully agree. Lots and lots of scammers and people who don't know what they are doing are in kickstarter offers. It is a huge gamble to do business with them. I have only bought one kickstart product and it was a high-efficiency, small laptop power supply ("Finsix"). Despite having a fully working prototype at CES 2014, and funding by Siemens, and being designed by MIT engineers, it took them 18 more months to ship a working product.

3. Cosmik

Cosmik Addicted to Fun and Learning

There's now a video of this gimmick product in the flesh (I'm presuming not CGI)

At 0.30 they show someone flicking the platter with the force of a sleepy butterfly's wings and the caption "Touch Tolerance". Notice that for this 'test' the arm is at rest. Imagine what would happen if the needle was on the record.

4. RayDunzl

RayDunzl Major Contributor Central Scrutinizer