• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi Audio's First Dual-Mode Balanced Amplifier ZA3

lazerharp

If I understand things right, when used in mono mode it only use one channel from each amplifier. The benefit is primarily more power due to one PSU per channel and the separation of channels between the two. If that is true do you only use one of the outgoing opamps? That for the right channel on each amp as it it´s used for mono? So if I want to change the outgoing opamps I would only need to change the right channel in each amp?

Petevid

In mono mode I only get an output from the right hand channel of the amp.

lazerharp

In mono mode I only get an output from the right hand channel of the amp.
Thanks, I found the answer in their community forum:
"Hi friend, you can just replace the R-OPAMP one. For mono mode, we only need to replace the right channel's op-amp.:)"

amix

Thanks, I found the answer in their community forum:
"Hi friend, you can just replace the R-OPAMP one. For mono mode, we only need to replace the right channel's op-amp.:)"
I remember having read, that in mono mode the amp still utilizes both channels, running the same mono signal on both amplifier sections and sums them to a single output.
And it was somebody from Fosi, who said this. It was two, three weeks ago, so my memory may fail me.

lazerharp

I remember having read, that in mono mode the amp still utilizes both channels, running the same mono signal on both amplifier sections and sums them to a single output.
And it was somebody from Fosi, who said this. It was two, three weeks ago, so my memory may fail me.
I just got confirmation from Fosi support:

"Yes, you only need to replace the chip on the right side, just one."

charlielaub

If I understand things right, when used in mono mode it only use one channel from each amplifier. The benefit is primarily more power due to one PSU per channel and the separation of channels between the two. If that is true do you only use one of the outgoing opamps? That for the right channel on each amp as it it´s used for mono? So if I want to change the outgoing opamps I would only need to change the right channel in each amp?

That's not how it works. Please see my post from the last page of this thread:

doug s.

lazerharp said:
That's not how it works. Please see my post from the last page of this thread:

seems there's a bit of confusion; maybe even on the fosi side of the house? i think the only way to know for sure if the fosi would run fine bridged w/only one op amp installed is to run it in mono with the left op amp pulled, and see what happens...

doug s.

lazerharp

lazerharp said:

seems there's a bit of confusion; maybe even on the fosi side of the house? i think the only way to know for sure if the fosi would run fine bridged w/only one op amp installed is to run it in mono with the left op amp pulled, and see what happens...

doug s.
Well I am sure that you only need to switch the right one. Z reviews has mede a video about ZA3 and op amps that you can watch. If you can stand him ;)

In the text beneath he also confirms:
= = = = = = = O P A M P S = = = = = = = (only need ONE for Monoblock - Put in Right Channel)

doug s.

Well I am sure that you only need to switch the right one. Z reviews has mede a video about ZA3 and op amps that you can watch. If you can stand him ;)

In the text beneath he also confirms:
= = = = = = = O P A M P S = = = = = = = (only need ONE for Monoblock - Put in Right Channel)

not really wanting to watch a 38 minute video, (even if i loved him), maybe you can share the info, if you know - did he run the amp in mono with the left op amp removed?

thanks!

doug s.

bbjayo

not really wanting to watch a 38 minute video, (even if i loved him), maybe you can share the info, if you know - did he run the amp in mono with the left op amp removed?

thanks!

doug s.
I don;t think he mentions it in the video but he has included it in the notes at the end. I might try doing that over the weekend and will let you know how it goes.

bbjayo

I don;t think he mentions it in the video but he has included it in the notes at the end. I might try doing that over the weekend and will let you know how it goes.
I can confirm that you only need one op amp in right channel socket to use in Mono. It works fine with the left socket empty. Balanced and sub op amps were left as is.

lazerharp

I can confirm that you only need one op amp in right channel socket to use in Mono. It works fine with the left socket empty. Balanced and sub op amps were left as is.
Thank you for clarifying that. Their should be no doubt now :)

3eaudio

Audio Company

doug s.

It would be excellent if Fosi stopped encouraging this unnecessary process. It may be worth also considering some Countries consumer laws and how a manufacturer directing customers to modify a device may be viewed negatively.

JSmith
i think it's fine the way it is. op amp upgrades are easy and worthwhile. no one is forcing you to do it. and fosi is not directing anyone to do anything.

doug s.

Guddu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
i think you are right, XLR input(balance) convert to single end,then siwtch by the Relay going to volume pot, then convert to balance again till feed to TPA3255.it actually not a full balance design IMO.
Correct

doug s.

Many devices use a similar topology, very few have a fully balanced in to out design.
i mentioned this in the aiyima a07 max thread, when someone said they were more interested in the fosi because it had "balanced inputs". i said it's unlikely it's really balanced; just use an xlr to rca adapter. i was interested in the fosi v3; then i heard about the za3, then the aiyima a07 max. i would suspect they all sound more similar than not. i chose the aiyima because i preferred its case layout, and its speaker output jacks and layout. and i also like the fact that its bridge-mode switch is underneath the amp. i could care less about the trigger switch; it's something i'd never use. it's easy to turn them off, and they only draw 6w if left on.

but, if you have a preference for one or the other, for whatever reason, you only have to please you; that's what matters.

doug s.

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
Hi,
op amp upgrades are easy and worthwhile.
- Easy, yes.
- Worthwhile, still to be proven with measurements.

I respect people's opinions and beliefs.
But so far, I never got any tangible evidences showing audible noticeable differences ;)

doug s.

Hi,

- Easy, yes.
- Worthwhile, still to be proven with measurements.

I respect people's opinions and beliefs.
But so far, I never got any tangible evidences showing audible noticeable differences ;)
no worries - don't do it, then. ;)

doug s.

Top Bottom